Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Redesigned emojis. New in this beta? It could help explain the large update size.
emojis-png.642986

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikGrim

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
The 17" is a niche product at this point. Most people don't want the hassle of carrying around a laptop of that size.

That's your opinion. When the 17" MBP was an option, me and almost all my co-workers had them. Many of us do serious work on the road, and having a full workstation experience with a big screen with essential. 15" is still a bit too small to be comfortable. A 16-17" display in a rMBP-thin body would be absolutely wonderful for me.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
That's your opinion. When the 17" MBP was an option, me and almost all my co-workers had them. Many of us do serious work on the road, and having a full workstation experience with a big screen with essential. 15" is still a bit too small to be comfortable. A 16-17" display in a rMBP-thin body would be absolutely wonderful for me.
I said it was a niche product, not that there is absolutely no one who would buy one. If the 17" had been a best seller for Apple it'd have never been discontinued.

A 15" redesign to have a larger 16" screen with the same footprint size and smaller bezels could happen and I would certainly welcome it.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
Hope this fixes the login loop!

What login loop? Care to elaborate? For me, it just logs in. No problems.
[doublepost=1470074938][/doublepost]
Both may be true ^^

Download speeds from Apple vary. I suspect it has to do with how many people are hitting their update servers. Of course your internet connection is the biggest controlling factor.
[doublepost=1470075006][/doublepost]
Hope so. I couldn't use Sierra and had to reinstall El Capitan.

You are installing beta software on a production system? I'm using an external Thunderbolt attached SSD.

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
I said it was a niche product, not that there is absolutely no one who would buy one. If the 17" had been a best seller for Apple it'd have never been discontinued.

A 15" redesign to have a larger 16" screen with the same footprint size and smaller bezels could happen and I would certainly welcome it.

I don't think Apple had the technical means to sell a 17" Retina MacBook (the first-gen 15" ones had enough problems as is), and it didn't make sense to keep a big/expensive low-res screen in the lineup next to a better 15" screen. So, it kind of made sense to discontinue it at the time. But as the technology becomes more commonplace, it makes sense for Apple to offer more variants to expand the market back out.

Anyways, I hope they do it because it's absolutely the product I want.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I don't think Apple had the technical means to sell a 17" Retina MacBook (the first-gen 15" ones had enough problems as is), and it didn't make sense to keep a big/expensive low-res screen in the lineup next to a better 15" screen. So, it kind of made sense to discontinue it at the time. But as the technology becomes more commonplace, it makes sense for Apple to offer more variants to expand the market back out.

Anyways, I hope they do it because it's absolutely the product I want.
You do have a point there. Hopefully they'll come out with a 16" or 17" at the same time as a Mac Pro update.

Reactions: JDHiro

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
That's your opinion. When the 17" MBP was an option, me and almost all my co-workers had them. Many of us do serious work on the road.

Yes, it was good, but I'm sure you'll agree that the 17" is nevertheless a niche product?
I owned one too, and liked it, but obviously apple sold more 15", 13", MBA etc.

So why would they not discontinue the machine that sells the least?
I expect they will discontinue the MacPro soon too, and concentrate on services, the MacBook, watch etc.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
for me, positive note. Auto unlock works like a champ on the new mac pro now.
I jsut have it sitting about 1 foot out of range of where I normally rest my hands at the keyboard when I sit down.
The MP is about 3 1/2 feet away. If I move my wrist inside of the 3 foot mark it works every single time.

I also found out you HAVE to have wifi enabled for this function to work. I normally only use ethernet on the Pro and when I tried auto unlocking the computer the lock screen said to enable WiFi functionality for this to work.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am on the PB so expect to see that drop tomorrow. In the meantime, I reported a problem to apple with Photos that I would be interested to see if it was fixed. Basically, I tagged faces in Photos on my mac and other faces on my ipad. the tags don't seem to sync, so the tagging is different across my devices. even the tags on the phone are now different from the ipad or on the Mac. Has anyone played with this and seeing the problem or figured out a workaround?

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011

I seem to recall it had about 4% of the MBP market at the time it was discontinued.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Here is my problem with this... I'm sitting at my desk with the Mac, iPad & iPhone all switched on. I say "Hey Siri" and all 3 devices will answer because they don't know which device I'm talking to. I had to disable Hey Siri on the iPad because of this problem and it's going to be the same with the Mac. This just isn't going to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: spscott and cardfan

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I'm not sure what this has to do with Sierra, but you should give up on that dream. Apple killed that line and it is never coming back.

They built a 12-in iPad. They built a 6-inch(ish) iPhone. Two things that were "known" that Apple would never do.

Thus the dream of a 17 is not that far-fetched.

A "portable iMac" would be a nice little desktop replacement, and with the right internals and smaller footprint (than the last 17), it could be around 5 lbs (the last 17 was 6.6lbs).

There is just no substitute for screen real estate.

So, here's to hopin', however slim the chance.

Now, bring on Sierra so that I can continue to RAID my current 17 without having to work around it! :D

Reactions: JDHiro

darrenoia

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
for me, positive note. Auto unlock works like a champ on the new mac pro now.
I jsut have it sitting about 1 foot out of range of where I normally rest my hands at the keyboard when I sit down.
The MP is about 3 1/2 feet away. If I move my wrist inside of the 3 foot mark it works every single time.

I also found out you HAVE to have wifi enabled for this function to work. I normally only use ethernet on the Pro and when I tried auto unlocking the computer the lock screen said to enable WiFi functionality for this to work.

This is really good to hear. I’m hoping that auto unlock isn’t going to be as spotty and unreliable (and therefore unusable) as AirDrop.

Reactions: fluamsler

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
This is really good to hear. I’m hoping that auto unlock isn’t going to be as spotty and unreliable (and therefore unusable) as AirDrop.

I agree.
And AirDrop really was disappointing; in theory it would have been a dream come true ... if it had worked reliably.
In the end i gave up and reverted to dropbox and Usb sticks.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I hope they fixed some of the bugs with iTunes ghosting itself when you minimize it and some Adobe CC issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.