Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming iOS 11.2.5 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the second beta and three weeks after releasing iOS 11.2.1, an update that introduced a fix for a HomeKit vulnerability.

Registered developers can download the iOS 11.2.5 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

ios1125beta-800x500.jpg

As of beta 2, iOS 11.2.5 includes a new feature that allows Siri to play daily news podcasts when queried about the news. Siri will offer up news shared by The Washington Post by default, but you can also choose to switch to Fox News, CNN, or NPR.

The new audio news feature is invoked when using Hey Siri or asking Siri about the news when using CarPlay or with headphones connected. If you activate Siri using the side button or Home button of a device, Apple news headlines are shown instead. It's not clear what other new features, if any, will be included in the iOS 11.2.5 beta. We didn't discover any other noticeable outward-facing changes in the first two iOS 11.2.5 betas, so it's possible this update focuses mainly on bug fixes and security improvements aside from the Siri news update.

If that's the case, we may not know the extent of what's in the update until it sees a public release. Apple is supposed to be releasing an iCloud Messages feature that was pulled from the iOS 11 release, but there has been no indication of when we can expect iCloud Messages to be reintroduced.

Update: Apple has also made a public beta available for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third Beta of iOS 11.2.5 to Developers [Updated]

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
When is the iCloud storage of messages gonna happen? I'm ready to do a fresh install and setup of my iPhone and iPad, but don't want to lose all my previous conversations.

Probably on-time promised universal cable TV sign in, probably as on-time as the apple pay p2p feature. LOL, Apple 2007 was surprise and delight. Apple 2017 is over promise, under deliver.

Reactions: ayanm00 and GreyOS

Suspended
Jun 2, 2017
They need to fix the battery life on the phones. Yesterday I didnt touch my phone till lunch and it was at 67%.
Do not expect long battery life on beta since diagnostic reports are being generated more often.
[doublepost=1515004010][/doublepost]
When is the iCloud storage of messages gonna happen? I'm ready to do a fresh install and setup of my iPhone and iPad, but don't want to lose all my previous conversations.
Be patient and see if iOS 11.3 Beta 1 brings the feature back.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
The airpods „tap“ settings randomly changed by itself on beta 2. hopefully its fixed on this one like suddenly it would have siri even tho i set it to „skip to next song“ or in sole cases my left airpod would have the setting of my right airpod and vice versa

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009

I, and several people I know, have been experiencing increasing issues with iMessages being out of order. Could them testing messages in the cloud cause this?

Guessing this drops in February and then iOS 11.3 w/ iCloud messages and the new battery stuff comes out in May.

I though their response said "early 2018" for the new iOS battery stuff. May is more mid 2018.

SRM1982

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Same here and I can't find a way to get the typing or dial pad volume a little lower now
Same here and I can't find a way to get the typing or dial pad volume a little lower now
Agreed, just tried myself and volume controls don’t affect the system sounds. Setting the volume to mute in software doesn’t mute the system sounds, but the hardware mute switch does.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Fingers crossed this fixes the disappearing / displaying half way off the screen dock on my iPad Air 2 as that could only be fixed by a reboot once it got messed up. Reported it on both of the previous betas...

Reactions: Y-knot

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
When is the iCloud storage of messages gonna happen?
I'm really looking forward to this one. Messages really sucks when you factor in multiple devices (phone, computer, etc). If I delete a text from my phone, delete it from the Messages app on my iMac (at work) !! Nope, it shows up there too. Then, I go home and open up my laptop, and there's that message I've already deleted twice !!

wsarahan

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
If anyone find a fix for the sound bug at beta 3 please quote me, it's almost impossible to use the phone like this

javco

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Mexico
They need to fix the battery life on the phones. Yesterday I didnt touch my phone till lunch and it was at 67%.

Same here iPhone 7 with 8 months of use drains with locked screen. I’ve just restored it few days ago with iCloud backup to fix any software problem that can be causing the battery drain but it didn’t. Can’t get trough a full day with a single charge even with light use. With iOS 10 I was able to finish the day with 10% of battery ):

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Same here iPhone 7 with 8 months of use drains with locked screen. I’ve just restored it few days ago with iCloud backup to fix any software problem that can be causing the battery drain but it didn’t. Can’t get trough a full day with a single charge even with light use. With iOS 10 I was able to finish the day with 10% of battery ):
That’s always a good start but usually the two biggest offenders are location usage and background refresh apps allowed to run. So look there first. Also remember you can see what’s the biggest battery drains fairly easily in settings under battery. Often the results are surprising with badly behaving apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.