Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fifth beta of an upcoming iOS 12 update to developers for testing purposes, two weeks after seeding the fourth beta and more than a month after introducing the new software at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

Registered developers can download the new iOS 12 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air after installing the proper certificate.

iOS 12 introduces major updates to iOS, with Apple revamping the operating system from top to bottom to make iPhones and iPads, especially older models, faster and more responsive.

On the iPhone X, there are new Animoji characters along with "Memoji," which are customizable, personalized Animoji that can be used both in Messages and in FaceTime. Messages and FaceTime have also gained fun new camera effects, and Group FaceTime support allows for audio/video calls with up to 32 people.

Siri is smarter in iOS 12 with a new Shortcuts feature that lets you create multi-step custom automations using first and third-party apps that can be activated with Siri. Shortcuts can be created through the Shortcuts app, available as a beta from Apple's Developer Center.

Apple built comprehensive time management and monitoring tools into iOS 12 with Screen Time, allowing you to keep track of just how much time you're spending on your iPhone and iPad. App limits can help you cut back on iOS device usage, and robust parental controls are included for families.

iOS-12-Memoji-800x775.jpg

Updated Do Not Disturb options make turning off notifications and distractions easier than ever, and a new Do Not Disturb at Bedtime feature cuts down on nighttime interruptions.

ios-12-screen-time-800x515.jpg

Group Notifications make incoming notifications easier to view and manage, while a new Instant Tuning feature lets you tweak your notification settings right on the Lock screeen on a notification-by-notification basis.

Apple News has a new Browse feature, the Stocks app has been redesigned, iBooks has been overhauled with a new look and a new name -- Apple Books -- and Voice Memos has been revamped with iCloud support and an iPad app.

ARKit 2.0 introduces new capabilities like shared experiences that let two people see the same AR environment on separate devices, and persistence, which allows AR experiences to be saved across multiple sessions. There's also a new Measure app for measuring objects using AR capabilities.

iOS 12 includes a revamped and rebuilt Maps app that uses a new Apple-designed Maps engine that will display foliage, pools, buildings, pedestrian pathways, and other map elements more accurately. The new Maps also includes significant improvements to traffic, real-time road conditions, construction, and more, plus it will enable Apple to push out changes and fixes more quickly.

ios12newmapssf-800x646.jpg

The revamped Maps app is available in the Northern California area during beta testing. After iOS 12 launches, Apple will continue rolling out the new maps to additional U.S. locations across late 2018 and 2019.

Tons of other small tweaks and features have been added to iOS 12, so make sure to check out our dedicated roundup for additional detail on what's new in iOS 12.

Early betas of new operating system updates always introduce tweaked features and new functionality, and we'll be outlining what's new in the fourth beta below. We also rounded up all of the changes that were introduced in the previous betas, beta 2 and beta 3, and beta 4.

iOS 12 is available for developers and public beta testers, with a public launch planned for the fall alongside new iPhones.

What's new in iOS 12 beta 5: According to Apple's release notes, the fifth beta of iOS 12 introduces some new bugs.

- After restarting a device, paired Bluetooth accessories might not function correctly or might be displayed using the device's address instead of name.

- Using Apple Pay Cash to send or request money via Siri might result in an error.

- When using CarPlay, Siri can't open an app by name. Shortcuts that involve opening an app won't work, and Shortcuts that require confirmation might not work.

- Some Shortcuts requests might not work.

- When multiple ride-sharing apps are installed, Siri might open an app instead of providing an ETA or location when asked. Apple suggests asking again as a fix.

- Users might not see custom UI when using Siri Suggestions Shortcuts with built-in intents.

Several bugs have been addressed, including error messages in the App Store when attempting to install an app, an inaccurate cellular signal bar on iPhone X while on Lock screen or Home screen, a bug that caused Wallet to crash on launch, and a failure for Screen Time usage and data settings to sync between devices. Shortcuts will also mostly work in CarPlay now, and will be restored from iCloud backups.

HomePod data found in iOS 12 seemingly confirms recent rumors that a HomePod software update set to be released alongside iOS 12 will allow the device to be used to make phone calls.

As shared by 9to5Mac, a HomePod personal requests image says the HomePod can be used to send and read messages, add reminders, create notes, make phone calls, and more, with the portion about phone calls being new.

ios12homepodphonecalls-800x474.jpg

Right now, you can make a phone call on the iPhone and transfer it to the HomePod to use the HomePod as a speakerphone, but you can't use the HomePod to place calls, something that appears to be changing following the update. Apple is testing new HomePod software internally, but it is not available for developers or public beta testers.

Other changes in iOS 12 beta 5: Screen Time in the Settings app no longer lists family members who aren't children, and it needs to be reenabled after updating to the new beta.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fifth Beta of iOS 12 to Developers [Updated]

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
iOS beta build version 16A5339e.
Watch OS beta build 16R5334f.

Both on the dev portal. XCode also updated.

/edit: 507MB on iPhone X, showing OTA already in Denver, Colorado.

duston

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2009
I use iOS 12 beta on my iPhone X and love it.

Same! Only bug I run into is when I check my cellular data usage. The “page” keeps reloading and going to the top when I scroll down. Does that happen to you?
[doublepost=1532970697][/doublepost]
How is iPad stability? I'm considering trying it when this public beta version comes out.

Running the prior beta on my iPad Pro 12.9” and have had no issues.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
How is iPad stability? I'm considering trying it when this public beta version comes out.
I’ve been running the public betas on my iPad Pro and iPhone X. Battery life is a bit reduced (from 9-10 hours to 6-8 hours per charge) but otherwise no problems. Modest performance improvements over iOS 11.4.1.

My sense is that most are having a positive experience on the iOS 12 betas but a few folks are having moderate to major issues. Hopefully this new beta will resolve some of their problems.

Reactions: LandRovers

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016

It’s great! I have a 2018 iPad and iPad Pro 9.7 on the beta and I don’t have any issues..I will say this past beta has been a bit annoying on my iPhone but I haven’t seen anything terrible to report on the iPad. Mainly UI glitches but is completely useable

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Has anyone else been seeing a software artifact where the keys show up on the home screen, even when the keyboard isn't or shouldn't be expected to be there? I've been noticing this since iOS 11. TIA

Reactions: sudevg

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
I hope this fixes the Screentime bug where when screentime starts and your kid is locked out of their apps that they can not longer go in and change the time on the phone to a time which is not screentime protected.

Reactions: Cobra611

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
Same! Only bug I run into is when I check my cellular data usage. The “page” keeps reloading and going to the top when I scroll down. Does that happen to you?
[doublepost=1532970697][/doublepost]

Running the prior beta on my iPad Pro 12.9” and have had no issues.
Same here! I've been seeing that too, rather annoying because just as you get to the app, it refreshes and sends you back to the top of the menu.

Reactions: sudevg

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Apple said that iOS12 was suppose to increase speed on older devices - how is that actually working for those of you running it on lets say an iPad Air 1?

Mike121989

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2017
The only consistent bug i’ve encounter is when I use 3D Touch to preview videos, after of couple of minutes my iPhone X would respring.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Apple said that iOS12 was suppose to increase speed on older devices - how is that actually working for those of you running it on lets say an iPad Air 1?

On my iPad mini 2, iOS 12 is faster than iOS 11, but it's not as fast as iOS 10 was. There's a noticeable speed difference between iOS 11 and iOS 12, though. Most apps open faster, though some apps like Books and Safari still have a tendency to hang a bit.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
On my iPad mini 2, iOS 12 is faster than iOS 11, but it's not as fast as iOS 10 was. There's a noticeable speed difference between iOS 11 and iOS 12, though. Most apps open faster, though some apps like Books and Safari still have a tendency to hang a bit.
My air is pretty much unusable right now on iOS 11. It really sucks.

AndrewWx

Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
Ventura CA
My iPhone 6S plus crashes (black screen with white circle spinner in the center) about 8 times a day so I hope that this build fixes whatever is going on.

The biggest problem I have encountered is that song shuffle does not work - it shuffles two songs and then switches to the top of the playlist and starts playing songs in order. I have heard A-Ha's Take Me On far too many times now.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
No word on my 6 Plus iMessage problems in the resolved issues, so I'll stick to 11.4.1 for now. Not too much longer to wait for the GM anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr$tone

duston

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2009
My iPhone 6S plus crashes (black screen with white circle spinner in the center) about 8 times a day so I hope that this build fixes whatever is going on.

The biggest problem I have encountered is that song shuffle does not work - it shuffles two songs and then switches to the top of the playlist and starts playing songs in order. I have heard A-Ha's Take Me On far too many times now.

I’d suggest a full restore

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.