Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the release candidate version of an upcoming iOS 16 update to developers for testing purposes, with the update coming a week after Apple released the eighth developer beta. The RC marks the final version of iOS that will be provided to the public next week.

ios-16-lock-screen-feature2.jpg

Registered developers can download the iOS 16 profile from the Apple Developer Center, and once installed, the beta will be available over the air.

iOS 16 introduces a revamped Lock Screen that offers a new level of personalization and customization through widgets, a notification redesign, and adjustable fonts and colors for the time. Multiple Lock Screens are supported, similar to watch faces, and can be associated with Focus modes.

Focus is easier to set up than before and more customizable, with Focus filters available to cut out distracting content within apps. The Messages app now features tools for editing an iMessage, unsending an iMessage, and marking messages as unread, plus it supports SharePlay, much like FaceTime.

The Mail app has improved search and tools that include undo send, schedule send, and follow up so you can get a reminder to check up on an email if you haven't gotten a response. Safari supports Shared Tab Groups and Apple is working to replace passwords with Passkeys, a more biometrically secure way to log in to accounts.

iCloud Photo Library allows users to more easily share photos with family members, and Live Text is supported in video. There's a neat new feature for lifting the subject from a background with a tap, which is part of Visual Lookup.

Dictation has improved, Maps now supports multi-stop routing, Apple Pay Later lets you split up purchase payments, and the Home app has been entirely overhauled with a new look. The fifth beta of iOS 16 added the battery percentage back to the status bar on iPhones that have a notch, plus it introduced new sounds for locating an iPhone via Find My or the Apple Watch.

There are tons of other new features in iOS 16, with a full rundown on everything available in our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 16 Release Candidate to Developers

lord.macintosh

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015
Edinburgh
Downloading on developer seed in the UK. Hope for watch RC as well. And when its released on monday airpod firmwares as well please.

NOATAK

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2018
Does anyone know if the new battery percentage indicator is now working on the mini models as well?

Reactions: Reggaenald

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
According to this tweet, iCloud Shared Photo Library will not launch with iOS 16? Does that mean it won't work in the release candidate? (and I shouldn't update yet since I was using it?)

MrBrault

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
am I the only one staying on ios 16 beta 8?! it’s the fastest, best battery life release of IOS I’ve never seen in years. I’m thinking of staying on this one until 16.4(the stable dot release every year)

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Build appears to be 20J373.

Edit: turns out this is for tvOS specifically, as mentioned by @SwiftArtery below, it is in fact 20A362 for iOS.

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
So what's the best update strategy here for those planning to move to a 14? Install the RC, remove the profile to prevent further upgrades, hope the RC=final?
It depends what you want to do to the old phone. I mean let the other bugger worry about it, if you are just gonna toss it.

DFZD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I mean I'm gonna keep my phone so... what should I do lol ? 😅
In that case yes RC is most likely final but in rare cases they release an update to RC with a minor build bump, so install RC now and remove the profile after the final releases for everyone and you dont see it as an update.

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
In that case yes RC is most likely final but in rare cases they release an update to RC with a minor build bump, so install RC now and remove the profile after the final releases for everyone and you dont see it as an update.
Oh I see thanks! Should I keep the beta profile till its official out? Or is RC normally what people are going to download on 12th? So when we install the RC we'll not gonna get any updates on 12th.

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Oh I see thanks! Should I keep the beta profile till its official out? Or is RC normally what people are going to download on 12nd? So when we install the RC we'll not gonna get any updates on 12nd.
As I said its unusual for Apple to release an RC2 but it does happen sometimes so better to keep the beta profile till the final comes out.

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
As I said its unusual for Apple to release an RC2 but it does happen sometimes so better to keep the beta profile till the final comes out.
Thank you!!! Then I'll keep it till 12th. It does download reaaaly slow right now but yeah hopefully it's a good RC.

Reactions: DFZD

Aaron44126

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
So what's the best update strategy here for those planning to move to a 14? Install the RC, remove the profile to prevent further upgrades, hope the RC=final?
I do this as well. Even if the RC is not final (which has happened once or twice), you can just update to the final build on release day using the regular process.

iPhone X working on upgrade to iOS 16 RC right now. (Haven't installed any of the prior beta builds.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.