Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds iOS 4.3 Beta 3 to Developers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As previously rumored, Apple today issued a third beta version of iOS 4.3 to developers. The release comes nearly two weeks after the previous seed.

Today's seed carries the rumored build number of 8F5166b, compared to the previous 8F5153d build. As with the previous builds, versions are available for the iPad, iPhone 4 and 3GS, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch, with a separate version for the second-generation Apple TV also available.

While we've yet to hear details on changes from the previous build, earlier builds have included such new features as personal Wi-Fi hotspot functionality, enhanced support for AirPlay video streaming, and a software toggle to set the functionality of the iPad's side switch.

Apple has also been rumored to be building support for recurring subscription billing for App Store content into iOS 4.3, although we've yet to see signs of it in the developer builds. The recurring subscription billing is expected to play a key role in distribution of The Daily, an iPad-focused news publication set for introduction at a media event tomorrow.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 4.3 Beta 3 to Developers

f00f

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
Man you MR guys are quick; I've been reloading the iOS dev page all afternoon waiting for this lol.

d/l now for my iPhone 4! Really hope the folders issues is fixed...

Comment

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
This is actually quite discouraging for me, I won an iPad last week and have been dying for personal hotspot here in Canada!

Chances of a beta 4? Maybe...it's not a huge iOS release so barring any major bugs I'm expecting a GM Candidate next week and then 1-2 weeks for iOS 4.3 Final (if any different from the GM)

Comment

glenncal

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Ios 4.3 also adds bluetooth tethering support to the ipad, which means that iPhone 3GS users can now share their iPhone connection to their iPad despite the fact that the 3GS does not support wifi tethering.
(This was added in beta 2 but I never saw any reference to it anywhere and only discovered it today)

Comment

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
My only real complaint about iOS now is how dang long it takes for the camera to start up. I remember having the 3GS and it opening instantly.

Comment

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Stupid question...aside from being a registered Dev/Having my UDID registered, do I actually need a Mac to install the beta firmware?

Comment

Vincenzok

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Wait a minute.... what about us lowly 3G people (still desperately hoping for that white iPhone 4?)

Does that mean that 4.3 is incompatible?

Maybe it is finally time to bite the bullet and grab the 4.

Comment

funone0

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Re

Stupid question...aside from being a registered Dev/Having my UDID registered, do I actually need a Mac to install the beta firmware?

no, you do not, I do not have a mac and have had every beta since 4.2 beta 2.

Comment

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
It's been known for a couple weeks that 4.3 is not coming for the 3G. Only 3GS/4, iPod Touch 3/4 and iPad.

Comment

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
@Funone...

I have Windows 7, all I have to do is download the IPSW from apple and Shift Restore and the beta will work? I was sure I needed a Mac...maybe I've lost my mind! (assuming my UDID is all setup etc etc)

Comment

f00f

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2009
New Yawk
+1

the iPhone 4 does this too. Worked instantly at first. Now it takes as long as 5 seconds sometimes.

What's worse, at least in beta 2, after using FaceTime sometimes the camera would go completely AWOL as if the camera itself wasn't being powered on. Even flashlight apps would fail to function.

Looking to see if this is fixed as well. Go go go beta3 install!

Comment

funone0

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
Re

@Funone...

I have Windows 7, all I have to do is download the IPSW from apple and Shift Restore and the beta will work? I was sure I needed a Mac...maybe I've lost my mind! (assuming my UDID is all setup etc etc)

it should work, as long as your udid is registered.

Comment

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Also to make the phone complete, they really need to introduce weather/calendar widgets to the lock page.

Comment

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
Does the Boy Genius happen to know anything about the upcoming iPad 2 and iPhone 5 by any chance? No, seriously.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Wait a minute.... what about us lowly 3G people (still desperately hoping for that white iPhone 4?)

Does that mean that 4.3 is incompatible?

Maybe it is finally time to bite the bullet and grab the 4.

Yep, sounds like they abandoned it like they did before with the 2G.
The last update to the iphone 3G was 4.2.1 and no more.
Supposedly they made it a little better/faster with 4.2.1 but no more resources going to old tech.

The ability to stop an App Download is useful. Of course, this is also a "feature" on Verizon when someone calls you. :D

Lol :D
True that.

Comment

ryanparanich

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
Can't say
MacRumors waaaay behind.

This happened DAYS ago. You guys are way behind. What a surprise, nothing you've ever said was accurate or well informed... *sigh*

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.