Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 3 to Developers, Restores 'Enable 3G' Toggle

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2012.

1. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

I reckon about 5-6 weeks until we see the golden master, and then we see a release about 5-6 weeks later which will have the iPad 3 announcement shortly after, or maybe at the same time

2. garylapointe, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

That woud impede the use of Siri, not sure if they'll do that...

EDIT - I guess they did do it!

Gary

3. mms13 macrumors 6502

You really think it will be that long!? I was hoping for the release sometime around now...I didn't even expect a 3rd beta.

4. cattywampus macrumors newbie

panoramic photos

any sign of panoramic photo taking abilities? i know this was leaked a while back and thought for sure it would be officially surfacing soon.

5. mms13 macrumors 6502

I mean, when they announced the 4S, one of the selling points was that it boasted about the same battery life as the iPhone 4 so...

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

umm..

That was a screenshot of beta 3.

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

i wish the 5.1 beta would include some Siri improvements making it less of a "Beta" ..

8. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5127c Safari/7534.48.3)

In my case the phone is reporting fake usage. One of Apples daemons is preventing the Phone sleeping so the usage & standby times are going up on step despite me not using the phone.

This means if I don't use the phone at all, it's on Wifi, no calls or anything it had at most 24 hours standby life.

Ive seen the power logs, I know the battery itself is okay and in those logs I have seen the mstreamd process preventing the 4S sleeping from anything from 15 minutes to 33 hours.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

10. ktappe macrumors regular

ktappe

Turning off 3G

I turn off 3G regulary but not to save battery. It's because AT&T sucks here in Wilmington, DE. As soon as 9AM rolls around, 3G data slows to a crawl or stops altogether. EDGE is the only way I can get data. As soon as everyone commutes home to PA, NJ, and MD at 5PM, 3G starts working again. The AT&T towers have plenty of bars of service but the data routers are overloaded, and have been for years. Complaints to AT&T have yielded sympathy but no solutions. So EDGE it is for me every day so I can just receive e-mail. Thus I really REALLY need Apple to keep the "3G" toggle in iOS. :(

11. ballsop macrumors regular

ballsop

read the subject. i said here's to hoping!

12. aduteau macrumors 6502a

Yes me too as well am looking forward to Panoramic pics,
    Any signs of it in this beta ?

13. TheOrioles33 macrumors 6502

Why dont you guys just get one of the awesome pano apps in the app store? DerManDar is amazing!

14. wclyffe macrumors member

I had exactly the same issues as you running 5.0.1 and I am now using 5.1 beta 2 on my iPhone 4S and the battery life is great. It was a disaster watching the battery drain either in standby or even doing the smallest things. This issue has been addressed successfully and once you are able to update to OS 5.1 it will be fine.

15. Loadlouise macrumors newbie

Sim Failure/Invalid Sim messages

Hi,
    Does anybody know if the 'Invalid Sim' or 'Sim Failure' issues will be solved by this update? i swear it is occurring more frequently every day. i've spoken to my network provider. i've booked a genius appointment and i keep getting told 'a software update is needed'
    Any help would be great

Thanks

16. seb1987 macrumors member

can any off you confirm if the update fix the earpiece issues thats been reported? i hope so.

17. aduteau macrumors 6502a

I like to have the ability to double click the home button to have access to the camera app, and have my pics use photo stream, all of that would be lost if I use an other app :(

18. voltes macrumors member

Hallelujah! I needed that badly. The only way I can get a decent signal here at my work was to stay on Edge. Thanks Apple.

19. owine macrumors member

owine

This feature is not available on Verizon. My VZW 4S just updated and the option is not there. I believe it is a limitation of CDMA or Verizon's network.

There is a new Roaming menu within Network which allows more fine-tuning of roaming options.

20. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

If this is true, THANK-YOU, APPLE.

I find myself in areas with 1-bar of 3G a lot.

I don't download much over 3G or EDGE. I use WiFi. I had 3G disabled on my 3GS a lot, 3G disabled on my wife's phone, and my daughter's phone is EDGE-only.

I was pretty unhappy when I got my 4S and saw that I could not disable 3G.

21. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

Since everyone is talking battery life.

I'm off topic but everyone seems concerned about battery life.

I treat my iPhone like my MacBook Air:
    • I keep a charger where I use it: home desk, work desk and if I'm using it a lot at the big table (dining room) or living room, I put a charger there.
    • And I keep it plugged in when I'm not using it.
    • I don't stay "tethered", if I need to unplug it I do. But whenever I do unplug it, it has a full charge.
    • Your battery only has so many times each part of it can be charged. If I'm not running on battery I'm not using one of those times. (Yes, every so often it does get fully drained).
    • Apple rarely changes these chargers, so it's an affordable investment. Especially since you can't change easily batteries.

The difference is for the iPhone:
    • I've got a charger in the car too. 15-20 minutes bumps my charge up about 10%.
    • I just need to keep a cheap $1 USB cable near each laptop.
    • As an extra precaution, I keep a cheap iPhone battery charger ( <$10 ) in my laptop bag and I throw one in my backpack or bike bag depending on what activities I'm doing that day (I rarely need to use either unless I'm uploading or editing video or lots of panoramas).

Gary

22. f00f macrumors 65816

f00f

It is most certainly true. Just installed 5.1b3 as well & the option to turn off 3G (at least on AT&T) is right back where it should be! (Settings/General/Network)

23. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I just don't get these claims. I'm not saying you're lying or anything - there just seems like there's something weird going on. I'm a heavy user and get better battery out of my 4S than I even did. I usually still have about 15% left at bedtime.

24. TheOrioles33 macrumors 6502

I understand. I prefer features to be native as well.

25. jcpazos macrumors newbie

About 3G

Hi

I use iPhone 4, and never lost the toogle 3G; not developer and not jailbrake, just the iOS5. Is this setting only for old models?