Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 3 to Developers, Restores 'Enable 3G' Toggle

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 9, 2012.

1. DerekTS macrumors regular

I just updated and can confirm that this is true as well. Very nice to have this feature again.

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

In case it might help, I think there was an updated iOS 5.0.1 (build 406) release for 4S specifically made available a few weeks ago which dealt with issues of that type specifically.
    Even years-old VZW feature phones had the ability to disable 3G/EV-DO (or basically simply be forced to use 1X, which more or less CDMA's 2G technology), so any phone today should definitely be able to do it if it's something that's made available on it.

3. f00f macrumors 65816

f00f

No signs of it in the stock camera app.

I gotta say things feel snappier in general. Could be placebo but I've been particularly impressed with how snappy the camera is at opening. (iPhone 4S)

4. Loadlouise macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thanks, i'll do a software update now

5. gspannu macrumors member

This problem (the missing 3G toggle) was only on the iPhone 4S running iOS5. The earlier models of iPhone (prior to iPhone4S) did not exhibit this problem on iOS5.

But am very glad, that that Apple has decided to put the feature back.

6. chunker, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

chunker macrumors member

Here are my gripes that I hope get fixed:

FaceTime..... I use FaceTime every day since my fiancé lives in Canada. The problem with FaceTime is, at times calls go through, at times they don't. At times I can make calls, at times I can't. Its just an inconsistent annoyance that I go through. i've also seen flickering which made it seem as tho I was in a club.

iMessage..... this thing is s l o w and at times it doesn't send the messages. It isn't slow all the time, but 1 of 3 messages that I send, which is completely nerve wrecking to sit there and watch the message being sent, come back 5 minutes later and it still hasn't been sent.

Also in regards to iMessage, when hitting the tab from the notifications pull down to switch back to iMessage, it crashes my iPhone 4s sending me back to the lock screen. Seriously? I expect this from others not from Apple.

Adding groups to Contacts. Why can't we do this from within the phone? extremely annoying that I need to do this through my computer.

And of course the most important of all....

BATTERY LIFE!!!!

This is my first iPhone, and I love it overall, but the battery life is a great disappointment. I don't use it for much. I send 1 quick short text, might listen to half an hour to 45 minutes of music, and I'm already at 60% and this is during my first 1 hour of work!!!!! I'm restricted to what I can do for the rest of the day.

I've done everything possible to solve all of these issues, since I don't want to return it. System restore, network restore, software re-install, hard boot, DFU Mode you name it I've done it. And I'm still plagued by these annoying issues.

And I haven't even talked about Sprint's horrible speeds and connection. Issues that both Sprint and Apple are both aware of, but neither will take any of the blame with both pointing the finger at each other.

Please Apple, I hope you fix these issues.

7. schimanke macrumors member

Now also available on the developer connection.

8. robogobo macrumors 6502

robogobo

This would also be great news for those of us iPad users whose 3G was toggled off during the update, and can't be turned back on without a full restore, leaving us either stuck on EDGE or losing all organization and settings that comes from setting up as a new iPad. I don't use 3G very often, so I haven't done the restore, but when I need it, it isn't there.

edit: can anyone confirm the toggle on the iPad?

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

one can only hope. The camera lens animation is always driving me MAD and hasnt changed much from my 4 to the 4S. Still taking forever with that damn animation. By the time u can finally take a pic ur targets already gone

10. DerekTS macrumors regular

You can also download Beta 3 on the developer portal now.

Attached Files:

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Same problem where I'm at in Illinois. I posted a response in another thread with an explanation I finally got from AT&T. In summary, AT&T postponed upgrading some towers because they thought they were going to be merging with T-Mobile. Now they're playing catch-up.

12. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

"Unable to Check for Update"

I'm a dev and have 5.1b2 installed and I keep getting:

"Unable to Check for Update"
    An error occurred while checking for software update.
    Cancel or Try Again

Is this because it's still propagating or a legit error.

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i agree, i feel as though the phone is a little faster.

14. CaptainCannabis macrumors regular

****ING FINALLY!!!!

I'm going to turn that **** off as soon as the filthy update is released.

15. delawn macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B5141a)

I concur. Since 5.1 B2 battery life now seems as good as it was on the iPhone 4 running 4.x.

16. DerekTS macrumors regular

If you are still getting that error, you can log in to your developer page and download Beta 3 now.

17. Artey macrumors member

This better fix the battery issues OR ELSE ╯°□°╯︵ ┻━┻

18. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

Thought then when I looked at the page 5.1 was available. Oh well can't be too long now hopefully

19. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Wow this is good news! If they forced you to use 3G in 5.1 I'd be selling my iPhone as whenver I try using 3G in Auckland my signal drops to 1 and my battery is dead in a day!

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Seems a bit odd that the iPhone 4 never lost the 3G on/off toggle, but the 4S never had it to begin with.

21. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

You're obviously short-sighted. It's not that people want to browse or use data on Edge instead of 3G. Why would anyone want that?

It has to do with saving battery, especially in low coverage areas. I have no doubt the biggest reason for the drain on the 4S has to do with people in low 3G coverage areas that are stuck on 1-2 bars (or less) meaning their phone has to suck even more juice to maintain a signal.

Edge is also useful when there's too much network congestion and even though your signal is great you can't make a call or send a text.

Personally, I leave 3G off all the time unless I need to use data.

22. lynxdeb macrumors member

they have updated also Baseband modem.. may be was a fault of the Qualcomm firmware :)

23. orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

I'm away from my laptop all day. As anyone else out there seeing the "unable to Check for Update" error message or is it something on my end?

24. macmaccy macrumors member

Verizon iPhone 4s DOES have the 3G toggle.:D
    You turn off cell data.....

25. smulji macrumors 6502a

I actually think we'll see iOS 5.1 released first week of March which, I predict, is the approximate time iPad 3 will be announced. But hey, I could be wrong.