Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F5)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has seeded the first version of Mac OS X 10.5.5 (Build 9F5) to developers tonight. This is the first new seed of Mac OS X since the released of Mac OS X 10.5.4 on June 30th.

Apple instructs developers to focus on testing a number of areas including Time Machine, AirPort, Networking, Spotlight, and many others. Apple details over 83 other bug fixes and issues addressed including a few potential kernel panic scenarios.

At this early stage, there appear to be some major issues as Apple warns developers not to install this seed on the MacBook Air, MacBook, Mac Mini, iMac (with Intel integrated graphics).

Article Link

derryquinn

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Not to be installed on those because....they're getting graphics updates?

Also, i hope this makes Safari Snappier, and also that iPhone OS 2.1 makes MobileSafari Zoomier

Comment

mike12806

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Boston, MA
I wonder if anyone can find any hints about product revisions??? I know it's not likely in an OS update release but, maybe ??? ;)

Comment

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan
I wonder if anyone can find any hints about product revisions??? I know it's not likely in an OS update release but, maybe ??? ;)

If anything there will be an update for the new hardware and for now they're throwing out all the integrated graphics drivers to not reveal the new chips that will be in the new macbooks

Comment

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I am wondering why they would restrict the update from computers with the Integrated Graphics, is there a change that will improve them that Apple hasn't completed yet, or is it something simple like they haven't built in the drivers for it into the beta yet? I guess we will have to see.

One thing that I am hoping that they fix in 10.5.5 is finally smoothing out the grid graphics for large grids (like the Applications folder). The animation has always been choppy and slow since 10.5(.0), and the best that they have done to improve it is making it equally choppy throughout, and not random. I am hoping that this is finally fixed here, it can't be all that difficult of a fix, can it?

Comment

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
All the iMacs except the current 17"...

Basically any Mac without integrated graphics.

This tells me had they included the drivers for integrated graphics it would have shown new products that use integrated graphics. Something Apple often does. There's a new product that uses integrated graphics coming out soon.

Comment

Joe The Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006

This tells me had they included the drivers for integrated graphics it would have shown new products that use integrated graphics. Something Apple often does. There's a new product that uses integrated graphics coming out soon.
or some new thing brakes the intel driver or dose not like video ram mapped to the system ram pool.

Comment

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008

That's too bad. I was hoping that this meant the end of integrated graphics.

Comment

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
PowerBook G5 next tuesday!

Oh wait, wrong year...

At least they do mention the Mac mini, which is the most Apple has done in the last two years or so (aside from CPU speed/hard drive capacity bumps).

We're still on the GMA950, which was already pathetic when the Mac mini switched to intel. :(

Mac nano with X4500 next tuesday? :p

Comment

oticon6

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Has anyone here suffered KPs from the AD2P driver? It's about the only instability my system has, but it happens often. Hoping 10.5.5 fixes this... getting sick of sending crash reports with the same information every time.

Comment

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Every time I have Time Machine backup, on the 3rd time it tries to back up it freezes. Not the computer, just Time Machine. The icon just keeps spinning up on the menu bar. Hopefully this update fixes that. So annoying.

Comment

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
I like that they are addressing issues with some kernel panics... 90% of the time that I unplug a mouse from my MBPs USB port, I get a kernel panic.

Comment

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe they are trying some early tricks with using the graphics processors and the MacBook Air, MacBook, Mac Mini, iMac (with Intel integrated graphics) don't have GPUs so why bother?

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
They had better put 256 color support back. *curses my inability to play StarCrack/Diabolically Addicting*

Just use a mac emulator on your mac to run games or programs that require older versions of the Mac OS.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.