Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

172359-snow_leopard_question.jpg

Apple today seeded a new version of Mac OS X 10.6.4, termed Build 10F566, to developers. Those familiar with the new build note that it carries the same highlighted fixes included in the previous build issued one week ago, and continues to list no known issues.

As has been true for the past several builds released to developers, testers are asked to focus their efforts on Graphics Drivers, SMB, USB, Voice Over, and VPN. Today's release marks the seventh build of Mac OS X 10.6.4 to make its way into the hands of developers since seeding began in late April.

A public release of Mac OS X 10.6.4 had been rumored for WWDC, but it appears that Apple is not quite ready to push it out to the general public. The continued lack of documented known issues, small interval in build number since the last seed, and stability in featured fixes and focus areas all suggest that Apple may be wrapping up development on the latest maintenance update to Mac OS X Snow Leopard, but the company's development schedule is unpredictable and thus we are unable to say with any degree of certainty when we can expect to see a public launch of Mac OS X 10.6.4.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Mac OS X 10.6.4 Build 10F566 to Developers

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
yesh. 3rd build with no documented issues? What's the hold up? I mean, I love how Apple is making sure everything works right, unlike another company... but still. I just want to see if the upgraded graphics drivers improve performance in my Steam games like HL2.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I bet we see this, iTunes 9.2, iOS 4.0 on the 21st.

I doubt that, remember the last time they release multiple major releases at same time?

Likely 10.6.4 will come out a week before iTunes 9.2 a couple of days before iOS 4.

ammusk

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Does anyone know where I can download this from? I am not a developer. Thanks.

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
I'd say just release it already dammit, but I doubt it'll resolve my graphics issues anyway. They tend to ignore hardware older than a month or two.

JavierP

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
The last build still complety crashes my MBP 3.1 when running cinebech. Don't install 10.6.4 if you have an NVidia 8600 card

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Well, what else is new? Nothing. They're dragging their feet on 10.6.4 like they're dragging their feet on everything connected with OS X. We've had all sorts of events, but it's all iphone, ipad, ipod... where is 10.7? Let's face it, they even cut Mac OS awards for developers at the latest event. Meanwhile Windows 7 has either caught up to Snow Leopard, or is very close to doing so. I don't think Apple give a hoot about the Mac OS anymore. So don't be surprised if they drag and drag on 10.6.4... what's the hurry from their point of view - they'll only hit 10.6.9 sooner and then what, everyone will expect 10.7 - so better drag it all out until 2015 when maybe finally perhaps if they feel like it they'll release 10.7, which will be a polish on Snow Leopard ("No new features!").

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Ok, I have a question:

When they say they are trying to optimize graphics drivers and such, does this pertain to older generation Macs as well? Like for my 8600GT? And for my Early '08 MBP, is Snow Leopard going to show performance improvement over Leopard?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well, what else is new? Nothing. They're dragging their feet on 10.6.4 like they're dragging their feet on everything connected with OS X. We've had all sorts of events, but it's all iphone, ipad, ipod... where is 10.7? Let's face it, they even cut Mac OS awards for developers at the latest event. Meanwhile Windows 7 has either caught up to Snow Leopard, or is very close to doing so. I don't think Apple give a hoot about the Mac OS anymore. So don't be surprised if they drag and drag on 10.6.4... what's the hurry from their point of view - they'll only hit 10.6.9 sooner and then what, everyone will expect 10.7 - so better drag it all out until 2015 when maybe finally perhaps if they feel like it they'll release 10.7, which will be a polish on Snow Leopard ("No new features!").

The weekly builds seem to contradict that assertion.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Some of you are assuming there's nothing changed and that's not true. Apple doesn't list all the changes in the seed notes. They provide a guideline to their developers to test against, simple as that. Just because there's no change to the guideline and no changes to the known issues, does not mean that there's no change in the code.

Apple will release the update whenever it's ready.

keypox

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
why does it take apple so long to release working updates? Its not like they are feature changes there nothing but dated stability and security updates. That other company is able to patch and release so fast and efficient. Does size really give them that big of an advantage?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
why does it take apple so long to release working updates? Its not like they are feature changes there nothing but dated stability and security updates. That other company is able to patch and release so fast and efficient. Does size really give them that big of an advantage?

They are not just stability and security updates. No big features are added but small changes are made and each update includes a recompiled kernel as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.