Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the third beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update to developers, two weeks after seeding the second macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta and just under a month after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

The third macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta is available for download through the Apple Developer Center or the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who have previously installed a beta.

macOS-10.12.4-beta-800x500.jpg

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's Night Shift mode to the Mac for the first time. First introduced on iOS devices with iOS 9.3, Night Shift is designed to gradually shift the display of a device from blue to yellow, cutting down on exposure to blue light. Blue light is said to disrupt the circadian rhythm and is believed to interrupt sleeping patterns.

Night Shift can be activated through the Displays section of System Preferences, where a setting to have it come on at sunset and turn off at sunrise is available. Night Shift can also be toggled on manually through the Notification Center or via Siri.

The 10.12.4 update focuses mainly on Night Shift, but also includes dictation support for Shanghainese, cricket scores for Siri, improved PDFKit APIs, and iCloud Analytics options.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Third macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Beta to Developers

worldorg

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
Based on the Hands-On video with 10.12.4 Beta, is it possible I can get a link to the wallpaper/background that is being used in the MacBook Pro?

Reactions: hourglass111

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I guess Cricket scores has replaced new emojis as the premier beta feature we've all been waiting for. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Wackery

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
Wow went from less than a minute remaining to 15 mins remaining on the 15" tbMBP, very worried about this install, seems to be taking a while too..

Ok suddenly went down to 3 mins remaining and booted in!

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
So the graphic issue is resolved for the mbp 2016? Which one are you talking about it's a couple of them.
He is talking about that verify box that popped up everytime you opened a video, for instance if you opened a movie in vlc it spent like 1 minute verifying it before launching vlc and playing the video. Have nothing to do with the graphics, dont know where you got that from.

Reactions: jhwalker and Calby

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yet another 'feature' that makes me say 'thanks for that, how do I turn it off permanently?'

I can't be the only one who paid a fortune for a monitor that displays the right colours?

Like f.lux, you'll be able to configure it to turn on and off automatically based on sunset, sunrise, or a specific time of day. If you're watching Netflix movies later at night, and you want to be able to sleep better, this really helps. It's not meant for productivity work. I'm constantly disabling f.lux when I'm doing work later at night.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
"right color" for viewing on screen is relative to the ambient light. If you look at a 5000K white screen in a room lit with incandescent bulbs, your eyes adjust to the warm hue of the room lights and a 5000K white screen will look too blue.

Take that same monitor outside in the shade on a clear blue day, or indoors lit by ambient sky light, and the screen will look yellowish.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Yet another 'feature' that makes me say 'thanks for that, how do I turn it off permanently?'

I can't be the only one who paid a fortune for a monitor that displays the right colours?

I know the feeling, but I'm going to assume Night Shift will be optional and default to being off (an approach I wish Apple chose for nearly all new features since about Leopard...). If anyone with the beta would like to confirm that'd be nice.

Last edited:

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
I know the feeling, but I'm going to assume Night Shift will be optional and default to being off (an approach I wish Apple chose for nearly all new features since about Leopard...). If anyone with the beta would like to comfirm that'd be nice.

of course this is optional - so ridiculous for people to get all up in arms about features that they don't use themselves.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
The only time I really insist on "right colors" is when editing photos and I don't do stuff like that at night. So I'm fine with this and will probably use it every day. I have it on my iPhone and iPad set to come on at 10 P.M. Will probably do the same with my MBP.

Reactions: navier and milo

HBX

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I so want to install this build but I want to know if anyone starts to get any Kernel Panics due to WindowServer and the new Nvidia drivers because on both my Mac Minis the last build kept giving me kernel panics.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Can someone who downloaded this confirm if it fixes the lag on the iGPU for the 2016 MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.