Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the ninth beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra update to developers for testing purposes, four days after seeding the eighth beta and more than two months after introducing the new software at the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

The ninth beta of macOS High Sierra can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air using the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

macOS High Sierra builds on features first introduced in macOS Sierra, focusing on new storage, video, and graphics technology. It brings a new Apple File System (APFS), High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC), and an updated version of Metal with support for VR and external GPUs.

Several apps are gaining new features in macOS High Sierra. The Photos app features a new sidebar to make it easier to access editing tools and albums, and there are new filters and editing options like Curves and Selective Color. Photos also supports external editing apps like Photoshop and Pixelmator, saving changes made in those apps back to Photos, and it interfaces with new third-party printing services.

Safari is gaining speed enhancements, an option to prevent autoplay videos, and a new feature that cuts down on cross-site data tracking. Siri in macOS High Sierra has expanded music capabilities and a new, more natural voice, and Spotlight supports flight status information. There are also improvements to iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, and Notes.

macOS High Sierra is available for both registered developers and public beta testers and will see a public release in the fall. For a complete overview of changes coming in macOS High Sierra, make sure to check out our dedicated macOS High Sierra roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Ninth Beta of macOS High Sierra to Developers

Reactions: jjm3

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I've heard this is really buggy and people are speculating it won't ship in September. Odd, for a "catch-up" on the fundamentals release.

Any views from people who have used the betas?

McFreggle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Dendermonde/Leuven, Belgium
I hope this ships in September. I need it.
GM should be released on the 12th of September - the day of the Apple Event. That's the stable release version. So if you sign in to the beta program on that day and you install the beta, you will have the real thingy in September.
[doublepost=1504286122][/doublepost]
I've heard this is really buggy and people are speculating it won't ship in September. Odd, for a "catch-up" on the fundamentals release.

Don't notice any difference comparing to Sierra. Not for the good, not for the bad.

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
here we go again out but not yet showing (as of yet 3 Macs No updates available) this is what would have been Mondays update but due to "Labor Day pushed out to I would expect" just wish apple would not show it till it was actually out.

iAdam1n

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2015
UK

I'm yet to install beta 9 but on beta 8 I've noticed that the brightness turns down when booting, even if you had it at full when turning off. I've also noticed that I get occasional popups telling me how to explore the new features of High Sierra, even though I clicked many times "Don't Remind Me" and sometimes in Mail.app, the shortcuts (along the bar where "Mailboxes" option is) disappears or removes what I added and puts "Flagged" and "Drafts" in the place of it or none at all. Sometimes if I close and reopen Mail, mine come back but other times I have to add them back myself.

Reactions: EndersShadow

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

Haven't run into too many issues, less buggy that past betas in my opinion, but as with all betas it depends on your setup, what you have installed etc, since the majority of beta bugs are particular to certain users. They don't seem behind at all in regards to shipping on time.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I downgraded to Sierra because of the APFS-mess. Is there any way to install it keeping JHFS+ without using an HDD and cloning it to SSD?

First time since Yosemite DB1 I had to downgrade. :(

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

The early releases were certainly buggy. Lots of issues with APFS and graphics. The last few have been pretty stable on my 2017 MacBook, though I mostly use Safari, Outlook, and Parallels (which is always a little quirky with the new OS until the new version comes out, which it has).

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
New beta on a Friday? Huh...

My MacBook Pro with High Sierra beta 8 doesn't even show it.

Vashetti

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2015
What's with these High Sierra betas lately being listed as available at 6pm (UK time) and not popping up until 1-2 hours later?

iOS betas are usually out on the dot.

Reactions: iAdam1n

Chris The Bipolarbear

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Волгоград
New beta on a Friday? Huh...

My MacBook Pro with High Sierra beta 8 doesn't even show it.
had this the last 3 betas can take 3 hrs plus to show up. Dont download installer as it is still Mondays release.
[doublepost=1504287863][/doublepost]
What's with these High Sierra betas lately being listed as available at 6pm (UK time) and not popping up until 1-2 hours later?

iOS betas are usually out on the dot.
I Agree geting tiresome

jtmacb

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2004
Triangle, NC USA

Apple today seeded the ninth beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra update to developers for testing purposes, four days after seeding the eighth beta and more than two months after introducing the new software at the 2017 Worldwide Developers Conference.

The ninth beta of macOS High Sierra can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center or over-the-air using the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store.

macOS High Sierra builds on features first introduced in macOS Sierra, focusing on new storage, video, and graphics technology. It brings a new Apple File System (APFS), High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC), and an updated version of Metal with support for VR and external GPUs.

Several apps are gaining new features in macOS High Sierra. The Photos app features a new sidebar to make it easier to access editing tools and albums, and there are new filters and editing options like Curves and Selective Color. Photos also supports external editing apps like Photoshop and Pixelmator, saving changes made in those apps back to Photos, and it interfaces with new third-party printing services.

Safari is gaining speed enhancements, an option to prevent autoplay videos, and a new feature that cuts down on cross-site data tracking. Siri in macOS High Sierra has expanded music capabilities and a new, more natural voice, and Spotlight supports flight status information. There are also improvements to iCloud, FaceTime, Messages, and Notes.

macOS High Sierra is available for both registered developers and public beta testers and will see a public release in the fall. For a complete overview of changes coming in macOS High Sierra, make sure to check out our dedicated macOS High Sierra roundup.

[doublepost=1504288006][/doublepost]Just give me the ability to tab from title to title of the photos and the ability to create a new album before I upload photos so they automatically go into that new album and I will be happy. Such basic features that have been missing for way too long.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
My only problem with it has been installing the last three versions. It stalls halfway through, and I have to Cmd-R and reinstall (it reinstalls the beta), and even then, it takes me hours to finally boot up in the system. It runs flawlessly. I’m waiting for SuperDuper to come out with a compatible version.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011

I've experienced some mild bugs running the two betas before this one. But nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I'd go as far as to say these betas have been pretty stable. Battery life actually significantly improved upon Sierra because Safari seems to be running more efficiently. (And on Sierra I was even using plugins that stopped autoplaying videos!)

TheCannonator

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Public Beta is available now also.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
How bout an 18-24 month update cycle which would hopefully make OS upgrade cycles a bit more meaningful, provide more time for feature development and require less beta testing. Annual upgrade cycles I think create additional unnecessary debugging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.