Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I hope 10.7.3 fixes the graphic freezes my iMac has with the nvida card

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Lion issues:

* On log out/shut down/restart, it always asks Reopen windows when logging back in.
I always uncheck it. I want it to STAY unchecked.

* When I exit programs, I'm not asked to save. Re-opening the program also re-opens what I had open. I don't like this. Quitting a program should ask me if I wish to save. Many times I do not want the contents of a file, but the system still auto-saves it.

* Server Admin Tools are just all kinds of busted/messed up. They didn't work in 10.7 beta. They didn't work in 10.7.1. They don't work in 10.7.2. Workgroup Manager always hangs and gives a connection error. It doesn't work on any 10.7 system I use.

* Design choice, but Mac OS X Server 10.7 is missing tons of what we used with 10.5 & 10.6. NFS management, Open Directory, etc.

There aren't a lot of things that bother me, but the things that do are major, MAJOR things. We use Macs professionally, and we've put off all 10.7 upgrades. The loss of Server Admin Tools (and no perceivable benefits) means we will be sticking with 10.6 on a lot of systems.

MacAddict2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
The main thing that's holding me back from upgrading my primary machine at this point is the "Restore windows when logging back in" checkbox being activated by default and the ugly scroll bars. I been running OS X Lion on my 2010 15-inch MacBook Pro for awhile and I recently installed it on a secondary hard drive in my 2009 Mac Pro to see how the Mac Pro handles it. For some reason, the space bar trick doesn't work for deactivating the checkbox on both of my machines. I've always thought if the user disables Resume in the General preference pane, it should also disable that checkbox by default. I'm under the belief when one wants to restart, they are looking for a clean slate.

I would also like to find a way for the scroll bars to have more of a presence. Setting them to "Always" show doesn't do enough, they are still bland and gray. I actually think they are easier to see when they are set to disappear because they are darker. Simply changing the color to a nice aqua blue when they are set to show "Always" would help a lot I think.

I am also not at all a fan of Mission Control versus Exposé, but I think I can probably manage.

Other than these issues and concerns, bugginess aside, my Mac Pro is the first machine I've used that gives me a totally smooth Lion experience. My 2010 MacBook Pro with a Core i5 does a decent job, but things still feel jittery and slow.

WickedStealthy

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2011
Upgrade from SL. Only issue what I would like to see fixed is file sharing (SMB).
It seems after upgrade I'm not able to disable/enable sharing for an individual user it asks for a password which always seem to be ignored or reported as being incorrect. Pretty annoying as it seems to work for newly created users. Broken for existing users created under SL

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Lion is the worse Mac OS I have seen since... well since I switched to Mac in 2002.

I actually had to reboot the other day because some system process was taking up 100% CPU.

I bought Sparrow because Mail crashes constantly.

Launchpad makes no sense, and they completely broke Expose

I guess different people have different experiences. I have zero issues with Mail. I have 2 iCloud accounts, 1 gmail, and 1 exchange.... all work flawlessly on my Macbook Air. I am constantly shutting the lid and traveling around town and never shutdown mail. It simply works.

I agree Launchpad is a ridiculous joke, but I like the new Mission Control.

----------

With regard to the actual subject here... I just logged on to the dev site and don't see this update anywhere..... looks like it was pulled

elliotay

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Not on Mac Dev Center

Not seeing this seed on the Mac Dev Center. Can anyone else confirm that this has actually been seeded?

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
Lion is the worse Mac OS I have seen since... well since I switched to Mac in 2002.

I actually had to reboot the other day because some system process was taking up 100% CPU.

I bought Sparrow because Mail crashes constantly.

Launchpad makes no sense, and they completely broke Expose

I have to reboot way too often... every day or two because process go to 100% and don't stop. Such a pain.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I do love Lion and the new features, but I can only hope 10.7.3 does something to stop the system sluggishness after waking from sleep (especially scrolling on Safari and video playback), as well as the animations opening/closing Launchpad and going to/from full screen after an hour or so of system usage.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I don't know about ya'll but I absolutely love Lion. Autosave? This feature aline is worth $29, and the fact that other apps or gettig this feature too... iCloud works awesome, Safari is so great now that I can zoom like on iDevices, and Reader is the best... I really don't know what the he** are you conplaining about...

Nice try Tim. Don't you have some CEO'ing to do?

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
People having trouble with Lion and going into dramatic mode about how it poured sugar in their gas tank are ridiculous.

Yellowstone2012

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Woah. Apple is zooming through Lion. Lion only released this summer and we're at 10.7.3 already.

Must realize that lion is their Vista.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I find performance wise that Lion is worse than Snow Leopard on my mid'09 13" MBP (2.53ghz). Particularly RAM usage which caused swapping much more frequently than ever happened in SL. (This is partly more a Safari issue with its separate WebProcess, with 17 tabs open Web Process is consuming 1.45GB and Safari is 422MB - Yes I am using the new 5.1.2)

I got so annoyed with it that I ended up buying 8GB of RAM to upgrade me from the 4GB I had.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I've not had anything in Lion go on that is as horrible as what many are expressing in this thread, so my assumption is its probably not Lion... its probably the combination of apps, hw, etc.. I've had a few "glitches", but nothing catastrophic and certainly nothing that would make me go back to SL. The killer app for me is Filevault2. Our company has a mandatory requirement for whole disk encryption, and FV2 is wonderful compared to any alternative. Some things like Launchpad I'll never use, but it doesn't hurt anything being there.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
In general Lion is OK.

What I hate are the choppy animations. Just like it happened in iOS 4, Mission Control and Exposing all windows is choppy. Instead of smooth animation, it kind of just pops into place, and looks terrible.

What I hate is that Apple has a bad reputation in fixing this things. In iOS 4 it took them until the very end to fix it.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Well that definitely qualifies as 'worst ever'.

Just think of these as the minor problem area. It is the first Mac OS update that has only under the skin changes that may be worth the update. There is nothing that outwardly is better than that which was there before. Item after item is broke. Some of these like the scrolling direction can be usually easily fixed. Others like the lack of a scroll arrow is not so easily fixed. The only reason that I did the update is because we plan to purchase a couple new Macs in the near future. And as any very long time Mac User knows that means that we will only be able to run Lion or later.

Lion is the first of the Mac OS X updates that I do not think is better than the previous version. And I've used all of them from the OS X beta on to the last 10.7.2.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
BTW I am a more than a little shocked/disappointed that after two point releases they still haven't fixed the bug where the wrong menu bar is shown for the active app. Right this second, while typing in this active Safari window, I have the iTunes menus, with iTunes highlighted in blue.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bloody he'll. Why dont they ask developers to focus on something that's worth giving a **** about. Who friggin cares about iCal or address book?!?!

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
BTW I am a more than a little shocked/disappointed that after two point releases they still haven't fixed the bug where the wrong menu bar is shown for the active app. Right this second, while typing in this active Safari window, I have the iTunes menus, with iTunes highlighted in blue.

I got that in 10.6 a lot too.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Lion will be an acceptable OS around May or September. As is usual with new Mac OSs. If you have productivity on your Mac, don't upgrade to the new one for 3/4 of a year, minimum.

That's great unless you're a Mac/iOS developer. The latest Xcode requires Lion, and probably will be the case for future builds. At least when Apple did the same thing with Snow Leopard, SL was in a stable and productive state.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'd like to know why scrolling in Safari is so herky-jerky in Lion vs silky-smooth in Snow Leopard. Very, very irritating. Even my aging father noticed when he got his new Lion MacBook Air i5 system vs his FIRST-generation Core2Duo MacBook Air running Leopard - that Safari's performance is inferior on his new state-of-the-art ultraportable. Ridiculous, Apple!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I've had Mac OS X since Panther. I always upgrade the day the new releases come out, and I've never had a problem. Lion is the first one I've had a problem with. I don't mind the new features and the backwards scroll bars, I got use to those quickly. But for me it takes up way more CPU (I usually have to Force Restart finder once a day because it'll start taking up 100% of my CPU.) No problems with Mail, but Xcode has been really laggy lately. Plus I've had a few hangs that required me to shut down my computer, and that NEVER happens.

Don't jump all over people when they say they have problems with a particular OS. Everyone had battery issues with iOS 5, except I didn't. You didn't see me logging onto MacRumors saying "Well you must be using it wrong because I'M not having ANY problems." Try to be helpful, guys.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is it odd that my experience with Lion's features can be summarised as thus? :p

1) 3-finger resume
2) Having to uncheck that annoying box before shutting down

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.