Apple Seeds OS X Lion 10.7.4 Build 11E46

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You must be really new to Macs. Forgot the 10.3 to 10.4 transition and many more issues?
Them issues were nothing compared to the issues experienced today. OS X Lion is the worst version of OS X yet. Hopefully Mountain Lion will fix the bugs, but it doesn't look like it will get rid of the features that some people take large exception to.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
does this fix the disaster that Mission Control is? I'd like to see the option to ungroup windows when activating mission control from a hot corner.
Ungrouping windows by hovering, sure, I'd buy that for a dollar.

Special behavior for Mission Control when activated via a hot corner?
Doesn't make much sense.

You don't want Mission Control fixed, you want the old way back. Don't confuse the two. :)

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
OS X Lion is the worst version of OS X yet. Hopefully Mountain Lion will fix the bugs, but it doesn't look like it will get rid of the features that some people take large exception to.
iCal has less skeuomorphic clutter than in 10.7 and the calendar list is back, for example. Address Book is also more usable.
The "get over it" crowd forgets that Apple does sometimes backtrack. This means that complaining (not here though) and filing bugs is not just stubborn, and that skipping 10.7 is not a dead-end.

stevemiller said:
in fact you could argue that its in their interest NOT to fix existing issues in a 10.7.x update so as to drive a sale of 10.8. (which will in turn have its own never-to-be resolved issues to drive people to 10.9... and so on)
You're right. I have filed a dozen or more usability bugs in 10.7 that have all been marked as duplicates, but none of them has been fixed. Some of them have reportedly been fixed in 10.8, though. I can only remember one pre-Lion example of this behavior, when 10.5 forgot *all* custom file type associations in FileVault across reboots and only 10.6 finally fixed it.

But it's more frustrating than that, Apple made 10.6 retroactively *worse* by killing off MobileMe without a replacement. I would love to believe that iCloud needs hardcore OS integration to work that 10.6 just cannot provide...but it works on Windows. :|

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Does it fix the command-tab issue with Spaces where the selected app does not appear? It jumps to the correct space, but doesn't bring the appropriate app to the foreground.

It amazes me Apple shipped Lion with that bug. It amazes me more that we are three updates into this OS, and it's still not fixed.
Yes, I have this bug and it does my utter head in.

That and apps ignore where I put them.

Might update to this to see whats what.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Them issues were nothing compared to the issues experienced today. OS X Lion is the worst version of OS X yet. Hopefully Mountain Lion will fix the bugs, but it doesn't look like it will get rid of the features that some people take large exception to.
what "Bugs" are u referring to? i havent experienced any o_O everything works just fine

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I hope they fix the photo browser in Mail. Most of the time it will not show iPhoto events until I actually open iPhoto... but if I am going to open iPhoto up... I may as well just drag the pic from there.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
fmchat.co.uk
Why the heck are they releasing 10.8 so soon after 10.7? Isn't it better to let 10.7 mature a bit, get all the bugs out, and have a nice stable user experience before they dive into the next release?

This sort of rapid release is just going to result in a buggier OS overall, since it'll spend less time in "maintenance" mode... which is when you find most of the subtle bugs.
Nope better to just move on fast. I think Mountain Lion will be what Lion should have been.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
what "Bugs" are u referring to? i havent experienced any o_O everything works just fine
  • WiFi Issues on some iMacs and MBAs - Still not fixed.
  • Finder freezing and erroring when copying files to external drives - Still not fixed.
  • Airdrop dropping connection - Still not fixed.
  • Bluetooth file transfer is pretty much useless - Still not fixed.
  • Mission control (aside from it being an awful feature compared to expose) is jerky, doesn't refresh window contents and misses out windows altogether - Still not fixed.
  • Dual monitor support for fullscreen apps - Still not fixed.
  • Launchpad reorders apps - Still not fixed.
  • Duplicate updates appearing in Software Update - Still not fixed.
  • The media browser in most apps is selective as to when it wishes to work - Still not fixed.
  • Mail refusing to quit (although the problem also existed in Snow Leopard) - Still not fixed.

There are a few more that I can't remember atm. The ability to disable autosave/versions and bring back expose/spaces would be much appreciated. Lion is slower, buggier and has a lot of bloated an annoying features compared with Snow Leopard. That is why I don't like it much.

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
Scared

Just when I was thinking of converting from PC to MAC I see this.
:eek: JEEZ!
I thought Apple had their $&*t together and "It Just Works!"
After reading this thread, now I'm scared.
Is it possible to buy a Mac with an older tried and true OS? :(

WickedStealthy

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2011
Another which is still buggy. SMB sharing. Rebooting looses the saved credentials and connecting devices (printers/ipad with file browser app) only work when filling in the credentials BEFORE rebooting. After reboot the only way to get it working is disable/enable sharing for the user and filling the credentials in again.
Before 10.7.4 it not even allowed you to change the credentials for upgraded user accounts (from snow leopard).

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well, people are exaggerating. my friends and i have no problems with lion and ive been using it since the first DP1 built. your on a forum, of course only the people that have problems are gonna write because the people were it actually works dont see the point in posting ;) dont worry

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
I have two out standing issues that are not still unresolved in 10.7.3. Looks like 10.7.4 may resolve one of them having to do with screen sharing. The other one is one in which I am currently working with Apple to resolve having to do with Wake On Network access after my iMac has been asleep for several hours.

----------

Ah, that must mean that Lion is perfect, and everyone else is just "doing it wrong." :rolleyes:
No it just means that he has not been having issues with Lion. Where in his post did he state that Lion was perfect?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
No it just means that he has not been having issues with Lion. Where in his post did he state that Lion was perfect?
Um, you should read his comments again, they wreak of sarcasm and disdain, like some on here who claim those who have problems are just "whiners". You know how many bugs I have still opened and acknowledged for Lion? I've lost count, and they aren't little things, wifi and graphics are major issues. Apple engineers are too concerned with the iOS consumer features and are losing sight of what made OS X great - stability. Fact. :)

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
MacBookPro13";14718983 said:
Nope better to just move on fast. I think Mountain Lion will be what Lion should have been.
Better for whom? Not everyone here owns Apple stock. For every single Lion user, it would obviously be better to have the OS that "Lion should have been". That means Apple would have to give GameCenter and other gimmicks away for free, but haven't Apple's online services always worked that way? Ping, MobileMe, iWork.com never required OS upgrades.

Edit: I realized you mean that it is better to focus on 10.8 than to maintain 10.7 and 10.8 in parallel. That may be true, but then why start 10.8 altogether? They still have to release security patches for both versions, and hopefully even Snow Leopard.

roadbloc said:
Mission control (aside from it being an awful feature compared to expose) is jerky, doesn't refresh window contents and misses out windows altogether - Still not fixed.
It does refresh windows for me. I have been on Lion on two computers before and after they were upgraded to an SSD. If you have no way to downgrade, I can only recommend getting an SSD. It hides a lot of Lion's bugs. For one, MC is always snappy even if you haven't used the other spaces in a while. Also, Safari has stopped refreshing old tabs when I select them. (I guess it does discard them on an HDD to avoid the painful unswapping, but sadly my internet is still slower than an HDD). I even had keyboard buffer bugs when either computer was under heavy load on an HDD.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
If you are concerned about Lion, Apple sells refurbished Macs which all come with the same warantee as a new Mac. Apple has a couple of 2010 models right now that would come with Snow Leopard installed. Whatever you decide to do, you have a 14 day return policy.

Personally, the bugs that I have experienced aren't the type that have prevented me from using any of my 3 Mac computers effectively. In other words, I have not experienced one single Lion bug that has created a usage stoppage. Features like iCloud are definate plusses for me with Lion.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
well, people are exaggerating. my friends and i have no problems with lion and ive been using it since the first DP1 built. your on a forum, of course only the people that have problems are gonna write because the people were it actually works dont see the point in posting ;) dont worry
I am not exaggerating. Compared with nothing or Windows XP/Vista, Lion is a good OS. Compared with Snow Leopard or Windows 7, it is an utter shambles.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Mountain Lion should be free for those who bought that lion piece of crap. Unless I can disable every iOS useless feature in mountain lion I'm ditching it.
The irony is that Mac OS X is the only thing you can buy on the Mac App Store that does have upgrade pricing. :D

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Um, you should read his comments again, they wreak of sarcasm and disdain, like some on here who claim those who have problems are just "whiners". You know how many bugs I have still opened and acknowledged for Lion? I've lost count, and they aren't little things, wifi and graphics are major issues. Apple engineers are too concerned with the iOS consumer features and are losing sight of what made OS X great - stability. Fact. :)
You know, I was at BestBuy the other day and during checkout the guy asked me what I do, so we started talking and he asked what I use. I told him a Mac Pro.
"What's a Mac Pro?"
"It's the tower"
"They have a tower?!"
"Yeah"
"Is it sold in the stores or do you have to get it online?"
"No, they have them in the stores"
"Oh, cool, I love my iPhone and iPad, awesome man."

I had to laugh. :rolleyes:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2011
Believe me busido is one of the posters here that is not afraid to criticize Apple about their products, just read his comments about the iPhone. Even Sbow Leopard is still not perfect and had stability issues until the .4 or .5 release.

As far as Apple not too concerned with fixing OS X, the times that I have been in contact with Apple, the engineers all responded back with either requesting more information from me or the status on a fix forth coming.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I was shocked at how good 10.7.3 was, for a young OSX version. That was the one to upgrade to from Snow Leopard, but it isn't perfect and there is work to be done. Hope to see 10.8 be a large leap forward, but Apple's software crews and direction seem completely misfocused for the last half-decade.

lee27

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2012
OS X Lion 10.74

Disabling Reopen Window when logging back in ,now works :)