Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded another beta of the upcoming iPadOS 16.1 software to developers for testing purposes, with the beta coming three weeks after the initial iPadOS 16.1 beta was seeded out.

ipados-16-stage-manager.jpg

Registered developers can download the iPadOS 16 profile from the Apple Developer Center, and once installed, the beta will be available over the air.

Apple has opted to delay the launch of iPadOS 16 in order to continue working out bugs and other issues with the Stage Manager feature that is coming to M1 iPad models. iPadOS 16 will not launch in September alongside iOS 16, and will instead be released as iPadOS 16.1 at a later date.

"As its own platform with features specifically designed for iPad, we have the flexibility to deliver iPadOS on its own schedule. This Fall, iPadOS will ship after iOS, as version 16.1 in a free software update," Apple said.

With the first beta of iPadOS 16.1, Apple has already started to make improvements to the way that Stage Manager works, changing the way the side rail can be interacted with while in full screen.

Apple rarely splits iOS and iPadOS launches apart, but it has decided so in this case because the latest version of iPadOS is rife with bugs and has been seeing a number of complaints about the multitasking Stage Manager option that continues to need refinements.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of Delayed iPadOS 16.1 Update to Developers

nbabbit

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
Just got iOS 16.1 Beta

Attachments

• E379E71F-8513-4F21-ADD4-359BF24411EA.png
    E379E71F-8513-4F21-ADD4-359BF24411EA.png
    207.1 KB · Views: 87

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Stage Manager is DOA. The real solution here is both obvious (and hilarious) - Apple needs to tweak their MacOS apps to properly display/scale with corresponding resolutions, when using the iPad as a real secondary display, Ie, refactoring menus/ribbons that work with the appropriate UI scaling.

They tell iOS Developers to do this all the time, and to support Portrait mode for the iPhone, too. But they won't subject themselves to this same exercise. 😂

There's an upsell here of course - your secondary display will be much more legible of course with a 12.9' iPad Pro. Apple will never properly implement UI scaling - Apple Product Managers gotta light up those feature lists to unlock those RSU grants. And it would undercut their (absurd) position that the iPad shouldn't run full MacOS. It's just laziness on Apple's part.

Looks like I'll be using Duet Display for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

JTK Awesome

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Stage Manager is DOA. The real solution here is both obvious (and hilarious) - Apple needs to tweak their MacOS apps to properly display/scale with corresponding resolutions, when using the iPad as a real secondary display, Ie, refactoring menus/ribbons that work with the appropriate UI scaling.

They tell iOS Developers to do this all the time, and to support Portrait mode for the iPhone, too. But they won't subject themselves to this same exercise. 😂

There's an upsell here of course - your secondary display will be much more legible of course with a 12.9' iPad Pro. Apple will never properly implement UI scaling - Apple Product Managers gotta light up those feature lists to unlock those RSU grants. And it would undercut their (absurd) position that the iPad shouldn't run full MacOS. It's just laziness on Apple's part.

Looks like I'll be using Duet Display for the foreseeable future.

A 12.9 foot iPad Pro? Wow, why wasn't that announced last week 😆

But seriously, I've been wanting to replace my iPad Air + Mac mini with an IPP, i.e. using the IPP as my only computer. The bugginess of iPadOS 16.0 gave me pause. Here's hoping 16.1 works out the bugs.

Reactions: verdi1987

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
why anyone would purchase a StudioDisplay for an ipad, beyond me.
To me this whole "Stage Manager" and "iPad replaces the Mac" etc. is Apple just trying things out. Se what's possible. Show it off on stage.
It's fun and cool to demonstrate and to play around with these things, but at the end of the day the Mac connected to a large display will be the choice for almost all users who need a 2nd display.

I have an M1 iPad Pro, and once iPad OS 16 is available, I will play around with Stage Manager, and think "that's pretty cool!", show it off to the partner, and then probably never use it again. Use that iPad as most people do: a fun thing to consume stuff on.

Reactions: Riot Nrrrd

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Isn't it funny that we have iOS 16.1 beta out now with iPadOS 16.1 and the notes refers to them as
  • iOS 16.1 beta (20B5045d)
  • iPadOS 16 beta 8 (20B5045d) aka iPadOS 16.1 :D

CoreGraphics​

Deprecations​

• To improve security, CGImageCreate enforces parameter correctness on macOS 13 Ventura, iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16. Passing an incorrect CGImageByteOrderInfo is no longer supported, and will result in images failing to load. (94855401)

DeviceDiscoveryUI​

Known Issues​

• Devices running beta 4 or later aren’t backwards compatible with devices running earlier beta versions. (95233878)

Emoji​

Known Issues​

• The search field for the emoji Lock Screen editor is missing. (88603664)

Home​

Known Issues​

• To pair Matter accessories, a profile must first be installed on your device. (99832852)
    Workaround: Install the profile available at Developer Downloads.
  • Removing Apple Home from the Matter accessory Connected Services menu in Home doesn’t remove the accessory tile. (77681079)
    Workaround: Use Remove Accessory option from the Accessory details view.
  • You might receive an alert to turn on Wi-Fi when pairing a Matter accessory. (98460235)
    Workaround: Ensure your device is connected to your Wi-Fi network.
  • Adjusting the color or color temperature might result in an unexpected color set on a Matter accessory. (98578966)
  • Accessory details might not open if a Matter accessory is unreachable. (99232316)
  • You might be unable to pair using a Matter ECM code via the Matter Support Framework pairing API. (99232681)
    Workaround: Use “More Options” in the QR code pairing flow to select the accessory you’d like to pair.
  • Uncertified accessory notifications might appear when pairing Matter accessories. (99502842)
  • You might be unable to pair a Matter accessory if the accessory is already paired to a third-party ecosystem. (99671133)
  • The device that initiates the pairing needs to use the same iCloud account as the home hub. Only the owner of a home, not an invited user, can pair Matter accessories. (76012945)

Mail​

Known Issues​

• Moving a Remind Me message to another mailbox doesn’t remove the Remind Me banner. (93671992)

Maps​

Deprecations​

Metal​

Known Issues​

• When using the new Metal mesh shaders feature, render pipeline state objects (PSOs) created with a mesh shader stage but without a object shader stage can fail to compile or fail to work correctly on some devices. (89836551)
    Workaround: When creating render PSOs with a mesh shader stage, also include a (potentially trivial pass-through) object shader stage.

Deprecations​

• The MTLResource.gpuHandle is deprecated. Use gpuResourceID instead, which functions as a replacement. (92862429)

Metal Offline Compiler​

Known Issues​

• MetalFX effect outputs aren’t designed to be consumed by the CPU. Outputting to a texture that is read only by the CPU might result in synchronization issues. (91515075)
    Workaround: If a CPU reading of the MetalFX output is desired, instead of encoding the MetalFX effect as the last item in a command buffer, encode a dummy blit that consumes the MetalFX output texture (a 1-pixel region blit is fine) in the command buffer. After the command buffer with the dummy blit is finished, reading of the MetalFX effect output texture with CPU synchronizes correctly.

Networking​

Deprecations​

• FTP is deprecated for URLSession and related APIs. Please adopt modern secure networking protocols such as HTTPS. (92623659)

StoreKit​

Deprecations​

• Deprecated the SKDownload API and removed the option to upload nonconsumable in-app purchase assets for Apple to host. In addition, support for managing these assets in App Store Connect is no longer available as of April 2022. (89764253)

SwiftUI​

Known Issues​

• Providing actions to a navigationTitle modifier has been deprecated. Use the toolbarTitleActions()modifier or ToolbarTitleActions type in a toolbar modifier instead. (93658035)
  • Lists and tables might not clear their selection when exiting Edit Mode. (94093589)

UIKit​

Deprecations​

• [UIViewController shouldAutorotate] has been deprecated is no longer supported. [UIViewController attemptRotationToDeviceOrientation] has been deprecated and replaced with [UIViewController setNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations].
    Workaround: Apps relying on shouldAutorotate should reflect their preferences using the view controllers supportedInterfaceOrientations. If the supported orientations change, use `-[UIViewController setNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterface

Wallet​

Known Issues​

• American Express cards might need to be removed and re-added to Wallet after updating to iPadOS 16 beta 6 or later. (97990752)

Reactions: kilimanjaro

Ash969

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Anyone getting “unable to check for updates” after installing ipados 16.1 beta2 ? I am getting this. It is under Settings/General/Software update
yes, same issue with my M1 iPad after updating to the beta from today. Removed the beta profile and tried again, but same error message. Hoping that we will be able to receive the next (beta)update in the coming weeks.

Reactions: GuruZac

Joshyboy40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
yes, same issue with my M1 iPad after updating to the beta from today. Removed the beta profile and tried again, but same error message. Hoping that we will be able to receive the next (beta)update in the coming weeks.
Same issue even without the beta profile?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I’m looking forward to the public beta, hopefully tonight. One cool thing about stage manager is I can stack windows in portrait mode, no more long skinny windows. Otherwise SM has many issues that I hope are addressed. Definitely not Apple’s best effort.

Ash969

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Same issue even without the beta profile?
yup, removed the profile, same issue. Added the profile back and still same error.

At least im on the latest beta for now. I noticed small random issues with previous build of iPadOS 16, but nothing serious. Stable enough for me to use it on my primary iPad

Reactions: spinspin

Joshyboy40

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2022
yup, removed the profile, same issue. Added the profile back and still same error.

At least im on the latest beta for now. I noticed small random issues with previous build of iPadOS 16, but nothing serious. Stable enough for me to use it on my primary iPad
Hopefully they fix it otherwise we will need to downgrade which would be annoying!

jonnyv34

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2021
This beta is even worse for me than before. When using external keyboard and connected to external monitor, can’t get the dock or the “stages” on the left to show up using the cursor gesture. But using the iPad screen and a touch gesture, there it works.

• Haha
Reactions: calstanford

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
8 beta's in and iPadOS 16 is still garbage. I can see Stage manager being buggy in beta 1-4, but once you get to beta 8 it should be perfect. It won't surprise me if Apple strait cancels Stage Manager.

At this point, I blame the developers for being either A. Lazy, B. Working from Home or C. incompetent.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
The only major issue I have had with 16.1 is inconsistent battery life. I typically use the the same amount and same apps day to day (3-4 hours.) Sometimes it will use 25% the next time 50%. Makes no sense.

AxelFoley

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
I have the iPad Pro 12.9 inch and the Magic Keyboard attached to it. I also updated to iPadOS 16.1 beta today. With any app open on the screen, I have noticed that I can no longer bring up the task bar while swiping down (one finger) at the bottom edge of the screen while using the Magic Keyboard’s trackpad. Anyone else?

Axel F.

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
8 beta's in and iPadOS 16 is still garbage. I can see Stage manager being buggy in beta 1-4, but once you get to beta 8 it should be perfect. It won't surprise me if Apple strait cancels Stage Manager.

At this point, I blame the developers for being either A. Lazy, B. Working from Home or C. incompetent.
or D. The concept is flawed and not throught through. And that's on the Product and Design teams

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I have the iPad Pro 12.9 inch and the Magic Keyboard attached to it. I also updated to iPadOS 16.1 beta today. With any app open on the screen, I have noticed that I can no longer bring up the task bar while swiping down (one finger) at the bottom edge of the screen while using the Magic Keyboard’s trackpad. Anyone else?

Axel F.
The last iPadOS 16.1 beta from August completely boinked my trackpad on my Magic Keyboard. I had to go. back to iPadOS 15 in order to get it to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.