Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS High Sierra to Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 12, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the second public beta of an upcoming macOS High Sierra update to public beta testers, two weeks after releasing the first public beta. The second public beta of macOS High Sierra corresponds with the third developer beta, provided to developers earlier this week.

Beta testers who have signed up for Apple's beta testing program are able to download the second macOS High Sierra beta through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store after the proper profile has been installed.

[​IMG]

Those who want to be a part of Apple's beta testing program can sign up to participate through the beta testing website, which gives users access to iOS, macOS, and tvOS betas. For instructions on how to install the public beta, check out our how to, and make sure to make a backup before giving the software a try. Don't install the beta on a main machine, as betas are notoriously unstable. High Sierra runs on all machines that support Sierra.

The macOS High Sierra update is designed to improve and refine the existing macOS Sierra operating system. Along with a new, more efficient file system (APFS) designed for modern storage, the update introduces Metal 2, the next-generation version of Apple's Metal graphics API with support for machine learning, external GPUs, and VR content creation.

High Efficiency Video Encoding (HEVC aka H.265) is coming in High Sierra, and many of the existing apps are being updated. Photos features a new persistent side view and editing tools for Curves, Selective Color, and Live Photos, while Siri is gaining a more natural voice and support for more music-related commands.

Safari offers a new autoplay blocking feature for videos and Intelligent Tracking Prevention to protect your privacy, while Mail storage is being optimized to take up 35 percent less space. iMessages can now be stored in iCloud, and there are new iCloud Drive file sharing options and new iCloud storage family plans.

For a full overview of the new features you can expect to see when macOS High Sierra is released in the fall, make sure to check out our full macOS High Sierra roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Beta of macOS High Sierra to Public Beta Testers

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

3. redxblood macrumors member

Tons of issues with the first PB, hope this improves functionality / performance. It needs it.

4. slappypig macrumors member

slappypig

I know it's early - I attempted to upgrade to PB2 from PB1 and received a "some updates couldn't install" message after reboot. What version is this update? m?

Thank you!

5. themuseboy macrumors newbie

themuseboy

Not sure I am reading this correctly. I'm a public beta tester but here is what is says I just installed?

beta 3.jpeg

6. Milltek macrumors regular

Milltek

Just installed it and build # is 17A306f. Download was around 2.5Gb. No issues so far on Mid-2010 27" Imac.

7. wbc, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

wbc macrumors member

Hope I am finally able to turn on location services on my MacBook Air.

Also. Wonder when google drive will work with AFS

EDIT: 'enable location services' check box still un checks itself after I check it on. annoying.

8. tedson macrumors regular

I have installed it also. The Mail App is still not displaying preferences correctly.

When I go to Mail, open Preferences I just get a blank window. Does anyone else get a correct display of the preferences?

Time machine backups seem to be re-enabled now.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

This version is a lot more stable. It was delivered to developers last week.

10. rbgaynor macrumors member

rbgaynor

Installed the developer beta yesterday, I'm still seeing sleep problems. That said, lot's of things are better, time machine is working again...

11. antmarobel, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

antmarobel macrumors 6502

antmarobel

Now that's something weird. I installed the public beta 2 or 3 days ago and, guess what, it is 17A306f already...

12. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Depends which one, there are several, mine is not fixed, if I wake it after a longer sleep cycle all I see is a green screen flickering, next a white noise one or black, after 10 seconds there's nothing, but I know it's on, I hear sounds when I input keys from my Keyboard.

13. wbc macrumors member

Noticed that it brings up FileVault Disk Encryption turned on by default. Don't remember that the last few times.

14. peelage macrumors newbie

peelage

Just curious on what type of machine you're working with? Solid State hard drive? High Sierra is the first beta I've ever tried that didn't have a sleep/wake problem. The reason I ask is AFS. The only issues I'm having with a 2015 MBP is some syncing with icloud contacts and Microsoft OneDrive not working at all.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2017 ---
    The final product of High Sierra is aimed at FileVault being turned on for everyone.

15. Kwantum_mac macrumors newbie

Kwantum_mac

I'm still getting kernel panics, I think it maybe related to the evga GeForce GTX 680 graphics card...or drivers

Mac Pro early 2009 (installed firmware to Mac Pro 5,1)

16. antmarobel macrumors 6502

antmarobel

No, it is not, at least not for me...

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

2012 Mac Mini with SSD and a HD, macOS is on the SSD.

First time after sleep or short sleep I get kinda the blue screen of death, yet it still works.

IMG_0336.JPG

18. Swift macrumors 65816

Swift

Well, Time Machine is backing up again... The weird Mail problem I was having is fixed. So there's hope for the world.

19. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Does anyone know if its safe to upgrade to APFS on a 1TB Apple-made fusion drive in this PB?

20. Milltek macrumors regular

Milltek

File Vault is NOT turned on for me. And Time Machine seems to be working again.

21. liberte1776 macrumors member

Still get a ton of universalaccessd crashing constantly! Annoying!

22. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not upgrading from PB1 and the installer is simply just rebooting my Mac without going through the installation process. Anyone else getting this issue?

23. peelage macrumors newbie

peelage

Were you able to do AFS?
    Mine was stuck on reboot for 45 minutes on lunch so that could be the case with mine. I'll have to check on it in a few hours.

24. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Mine is not even going into installation. The installer just simply reboots my iMac back into Sierra. I tried like a dozen times already.

25. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes, but I am on the Dev. beta, *I had severe issues installing it on my 2012 Mac Mini, strangely it installed just fine on my 2012 MbPro which has more or less the same internals.

* Borked install, had to wipe the disk and reinstall.