Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded a second RC version of an upcoming macOS Big Sur 11.2 update to developers for testing purposes, with the new update coming a week after the first RC and two months after initial macOS Big Sur release.

macOS-11.2-release-candidate-feature.jpg

Developers can download the updated ‌‌macOS Big Sur‌‌ 11.2 release candidate using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper profile from the Apple Developer Center.

macOS Big Sur 11.2 eliminates a feature that allowed Apple apps bypass third-party firewalls, security tools, and VPN apps. macOS Big Sur 11 included a ContentFilterExclusionList that let Apple's apps like the App Store, Maps, iCloud, and more to avoid firewall and VPN apps that users had installed. These apps were not able to filter or inspect traffic for some built-in Apple apps. That functionality has been removed in macOS Big Sur 11.2.

When macOS Big Sur 11.2 sees a release, Apple apps will be compatible with VPN apps and will no longer be able to bypass firewalls and other security tools.

According to Apple's release notes, the update also improves Bluetooth reliability and includes multiple bug fixes.
macOS Big Sur 11.2 improves Bluetooth reliability and fixes the following issues:
- External displays may show a black screen when connected to a Mac mini (M1, 2020) using an HDMI to DVI converter
- Edits to Apple ProRAW photos in the Photos app may not save
- iCloud Drive could turn off after disabling the iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders option
- System Preferences may not unlock when entering your administrator password
- Globe key may not display the Emoji & Symbols pane when pressed
The update addresses a bug that could cause external displays to show a black screen when connected to an M1 Mac mini using an HDMI to DVI converter, and it fixes an issue that resulted in edits to Apple ProRaw photos in the Photos app not to save. It also includes fixes for iCloud Drive, System Preferences, and more.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Second Release Candidate Version of macOS Big Sur 11.2 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

headlessmike

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
I wonder if this will be the release that makes me upgrade my home iMac. I didn't jump to Catalina until around June of last year.
I was never displeased with Catalina, but Big Sur is already a clear upgrade over even the latest versions of Catalina in my opinion. Even my unsupported late 2012 Mac mini is noticeably snappier under Big Sur.

Comment

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I love macOS, I love that it's based on BSD. I've been using it since Panther.

I also love when things work right.

Catalina and Big Sur have been *******.

Two notable serious issues right now:

1) Notes.app see's 65%ish CPU usage burning battery on M1 and other machines, they spend all this time working on great hardware and then blow it. The average user isn't diagnosing like these guys: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-notes-using-cpu.2268511/ - the average user just says my M1 battery sucks.

2) Kernel Panic on reboot. Happens on all 3 Macs I own, I know it came in Catalina around 10.15.5 - have Intel and M1 Macs, from Catalina to Big Sur, all different software stacks (some controlled by work, some just mine), all have the issue. Can't believe it hasn't been addressed.
e.g. https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...n-watchdog-timeout-no-checkins-from-watchdogd

I need these things fixed. It's driving me insane.

How can such basic bugs slip buy and be unfixed for months.

Comment

CamW222

Suspended
Jan 14, 2021
I love macOS, I love that it's based on BSD. I've been using it since Panther.

I also love when things work right.

Catalina and Big Sur have been *******.

Two notable serious issues right now:

1) Notes.app see's 65%ish CPU usage burning battery on M1 and other machines, they spend all this time working on great hardware and then blow it. The average user isn't diagnosing like these guys: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-notes-using-cpu.2268511/ - the average user just says my M1 battery sucks.

2) Kernel Panic on reboot. Happens on all 3 Macs I own, I know it came in Catalina around 10.15.5 - have Intel and M1 Macs, from Catalina to Big Sur, all different software stacks (some controlled by work, some just mine), all have the issue. Can't believe it hasn't been addressed.
e.g. https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...n-watchdog-timeout-no-checkins-from-watchdogd

I need these things fixed. It's driving me insane.

How can such basic bugs slip buy and be unfixed for months.
Report them to Apple, speak to a senior support person, etc. If you don't report, they won't fix.

Comment

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
I was never displeased with Catalina, but Big Sur is already a clear upgrade over even the latest versions of Catalina in my opinion. Even my unsupported late 2012 Mac mini is noticeably snappier under Big Sur.
How are you running Big Sur on the 2012 mini? I am genuinely interested, Dosdude is currently only going up to Catalina.

Comment

thebrightsideoflife

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2021
I have major problems to transfer files (lot of files, 5000+) from a windows server to my M1 MacBook Pro - after some time the transfer simply dies and with some time and testing it seems that the WLAN connection is somehow unstable whereas same transfer via an Ethernet adapter works so I hope it is only a software problem and not the used WLAN module is the problem.

Reactions: AAPLGeek
Comment

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Report them to Apple, speak to a senior support person, etc. If you don't report, they won't fix.

Totally agree, reported both months ago, also sent a letter to Tim Cook and got a response (as I was returning 5 figs worth of hardware because of the KP bug).

No dice. I might try Craig F. I had mailed him before on a cryptographic bug I found and got a response.

Also hard to think that all their engineers aren't bothered by this when they see it...

anyway 🤷‍♂️

Comment

aesc80

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2015
Thank frickin God it's just on the MacOS side for another RC. I find it very interesting that Apple is still allowing Xcode to be installable on Catalina while Big Sur is out. Normally, Xcode versions would be tied with each MacOS upgrade. I'm guessing Big Sur is just a wee bit still out of the comfort zone to push developers out of the Catalina realm (even now).

Comment

siddavis

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
I wonder if this will be the release that makes me upgrade my home iMac. I didn't jump to Catalina until around June of last year.
I haven't even updated to Catalina! I jumped in here to see if users would be reporting that Big Sur and especially this release candidate would be the one to get me to finally click the install update button. So far it sounds promising...

Comment

nortonandreev

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2016
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Still haven’t upgraded from Catalina.

How does it compare on speed? I don’t really feel like I need any of the new features, and my main concern is not slowing down my 2019 MBP.
I guess depends on the use case but it is definitely not slower than Catalina on my 2019 MBP. Quite the opposite, I think it is more stable than Catalina.

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.