Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of iOS 11.2.5 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 19, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of an upcoming iOS 11.2.5 update to developers, just a few days after seeding the sixth beta and more than a week after releasing iOS 11.2.2, an update designed to mitigate a serious hardware-based vulnerability called "Spectre."

Registered developers can download the iOS 11.2.5 beta from Apple's Developer Center or over-the-air once the proper configuration profile has been installed from the Developer Center.

[​IMG]

Early iOS 11.2.5 betas introduced a new feature letting Siri play daily news podcasts from MPR, Fox News, CNN, or The Washington Post when queried about the current news, but the feature was officially released in iOS 11.2.2 ahead of the iOS 11.2.5 update.

iOS 11.2.5 appears to address a bug that allowed a malicious link to freeze the Messages app on iOS devices. As of the sixth beta, the link in question no longer affects the Messages app.

It's not clear what other new features, if any, will be introduced in the iOS 11.2.5. We didn't discover other noticeable outward-facing changes in the first six iOS 11.2.5 betas, so it's possible this update focuses mainly on bug fixes and security improvements aside from the Siri news update.

If that's the case, we may not know the extent of what's in the update until it sees a public release. Apple is supposed to be releasing an iCloud Messages feature that was pulled from the iOS 11 release, but there has been no indication of when we can expect iCloud Messages to be reintroduced.

Today's beta appears to be the final golden master version of iOS 11.2.5 that will be released to the public next week.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of iOS 11.2.5 to Developers and Public Beta Testers

2. Poontaco macrumors regular

The Public Beta is also available.
    This is the full size (2.2gb) GM release.

3. kshen113 macrumors newbie

kshen113

2.2GB update on iPhone X, looks like last beta for 11.2.5

edit: poontaco ninja'd me =(

4. hendriks16 macrumors newbie

By the build # (15D60) it’s a Golden Master right there!

5. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Pretty confident this is what’s going out to the carriers to test for release Tuesday (just a guess on the day).

6. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

2050: in other news Apple seeds 347932463rd beta of 11.2 iOS. Because why the hell not have a bajillion beta versions?

7. olives9 macrumors newbie

olives9

Downloaded 3rd beta of 11.2.5 however had to restore back to 11.2.1. Battery life was killing me. How have the recent beta releases been relating to battery life. I'm on iPhone X.

8. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

where is 11.2.3 and 11.2.4 though

or are they gonna rename this version 11.2.3 instead of 11.2.5 before release

9. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

10. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Macrumors users: Apple doesn’t do QC anymore!
    *Apple pushes betas out*
    Macrumors users: All the damn betas?!

11. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

My X's battery hasn't noticeably suffered with any of the last few betas. I do think I remember beta 2 or 3 dragging it down a bit.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's possible but unlikely. They'll probably just release it as 11.2.5 without .3 or .4 being there.

13. kmm333 macrumors newbie

Glad to see Apple taking time with releases and issuing numerous betas. There have been a few too many questionable security and other bugs recently across iOS and OS X.

14. ediks macrumors regular

This release has more betas than some big ios releases (ios 7,8,9) but it brings nothing new , weird

15. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Are you going to come back and bitch that they should have tested more after you find the first bug?

16. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

as this has no later in build number must be a GM candidate at the very least

17. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

No. They should test all this crap well in-house and then release it, instead of making users do their job for them. That's what we pay them for.

18. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

No one is forcing you to do anything, and iOS updates are free.

19. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Seriously, people are complaining that Apple release as many betas they deem necessary.....
    --- Post Merged, Jan 19, 2018 ---
    I'm missing the obvious sarcasm in this post, aren't I?

20. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

They use to NOT release these public betas.

People use to complain that they wanted to try out betas early. In fact, a lot of people paid to get in on developer accounts.

Apple allows public betas now, and then people complain that they shouldn't.

21. HQuest macrumors member

As a developer, however, I have the best interest in seeing how my app is going to be affected by the new code, or what new is coming up for me to improve or code anything new.

If you are an user and you use beta code just to pretend you are cool, then I cannot think why Apple will even consider test this “crap well in-house” as wanna-bes like you are doing it for free. You only have yourself to blame.

22. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

iOS 11 and it’s bugs makes me hate my iPad.

I foolishly trusted Apple when they said this is a productivity device and their vision of the future of computing.

Clearly they are not eating their own dog food. Mail crashes all the time. Exchange integration is a joke. Files is half baked. And the bugs. All the bugs.

I’d go back to the Mac, but the laptop line is crappy now.

Hoping next bug patch finality stabilizes iOS as production quality.

23. kognos macrumors member

Does this build allow Face ID to approve family purchases?

24. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

25. FunnelDog macrumors member