Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of macOS Catalina to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the seventh beta of macOS 10.15 Catalina for testing purposes, a little over one week after seeding the sixth macOS Catalina beta and over two months after the new Mac operating system update was first unveiled at the Worldwide Developers Conference.

The new macOS Catalina beta can be downloaded using the Software Update mechanism in System Preferences after installing the proper software from the Developer Center. As with all new betas, macOS Catalina should not be installed on a primary machine because it is early release software and has bugs.

[​IMG]

macOS Catalina eliminates the iTunes app, splitting it into Music, Podcasts, and TV apps. The Apple Music and Apple Podcasts apps are available now, while the Apple TV app is coming later this year.

The three new apps offer similar functionality to iTunes, but are split up by feature. iOS device management is still available on the Mac, but it's now done through the Finder rather than iTunes.

With a new Sidecar feature, you can turn your iPad into a second display for your Mac with just the click of a button. The Apple Pencil works with Sidecar, so you can turn your iPad into a drawing tablet in apps like Photoshop and Illustrator.

Your Apple Watch can be used to approve security prompts for passwords and other info in macOS Catalina, and Macs with a T2 chip now support Activation Lock, making them more secure. There's a new Find My that brings the Find My Mac app to the Mac for the first time and even lets you track your devices when they're offline, or, in the case of notebooks, closed.

Screen Time is available on the Mac as well as iOS devices, and Project Catalyst, a new Apple initiative, will let developers easily port their iPad apps over to the Mac to increase the number of Mac apps available.

There's a new Photos interface that surfaces your best photos organized by day, month, or year, there's a new start page in Safari, Mail has new tools for muting email threads and blocking senders, and the Reminders app has been overhauled. 32-bit apps no longer work in macOS Catalina, which is something to be aware of before installing the beta.

According to Apple's release notes for beta 7, there are several fixes available. The Cloud Files section in About This Mac > Storage > Manage now accurately represents the state of files on your Mac.

The CloudKit Share URL now launches a Mac Catalyst app present on the system or takes the user to the appropriate App Store page to download it.

Deleting Podcasts using About This Mac > Storage > Manage now updates what's shown in the Podcasts app, and Screen Time > Content & Privacy > Content > Web Content > Allowed Websites Only is now enforced in the beta.

For more details on macOS Catalina, make sure to check out our macOS Catalina roundup.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Seventh Beta of macOS Catalina to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available]

2. Mr$tone macrumors 6502

That’s wasn’t a day too soon. Hopefully Messages crashing on quit is finally fixed.

3. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

For once The Beta was out before MacRumors announced it.

4. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Yeah that was my issue with. As well as Adobe Acrobat not working due to 32-bit components.

5. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

7. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

Previous was 19A535g so that would put this one 10 builds further down the production line if I am not mistaken.

8. chrfr macrumors G3

46-35=11.

9. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

Sorry I have only got 10 Fingers so I can't count above or below 10!!!!

10. chrfr macrumors G3

I had to use a toe to figure it out.

11. kissmo macrumors 6502a

ok so I held back on Catalina and I am happy mainly because I don’t really see anything useful for me besides sidecar at some point.
    I hope this update will feel better so that we will get a final release soon enough.

12. schlitzz macrumors member

schlitzz

Awaiting the next jackwagon that complains about stability in betas, eats too many pop tarts, and is an unsupervised minor on this forum.....

Just asking, how’s Safari?

13. krusnof macrumors member

krusnof

iCloud Drive changed. Before I had a bunch of folders for different apps using iCloud and they’re now gone. Only one left is Documents, Desktop and Downloads. Then I have a Keynote file in the main folder but no Keynote specific folder. Weird

14. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

You should all install it on your main Mac just cause you can.

15. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Snappier as usual. Why?
    I did because I'm a BOSS!!!!!!!!!

16. jwm macrumors 6502

jwm

I'm seeing that too, plus some of my documents are syncing again. Hopefully it will configure itself once the syncing is complete.

17. krusnof macrumors member

krusnof

Mine are not syncing again. I mean Documents/Desktop/Downloads remains fine, but the rest are just gone.

18. GadgetBen macrumors 65816

GadgetBen

Do people still eat pop tarts?

19. Zdigital2015 macrumors 68000

Oh, yes...although I do miss the foil lined paper pouch from the 1970s when I was a kid. They simply tasted better. Or at least I though they did. Now its just a soulless plastiluminum wrapping, and they took all the trans-fats out that made them taste better. I also prefer my Pop-tarts burnt to a near cinder, but that's just me. My wife makes that face too...it's normal.

20. krusnof macrumors member

krusnof

Correction "Downloads" is not the same download folder in the sidebar used by Safari etc. It doesn't "do anything" or link to actual usage...

21. timm1027 macrumors member

timm1027

This is the Downloads folder for iOS devices.

I also find it a bit odd that they have not merged. But I imagine it’s a precaution against the next time one downloads some gigantic-GB download on their Mac, so that it’s not automatically saved and uploaded to iCloud.

22. krusnof macrumors member

krusnof

Oh geez, I didn't realize that. First time it ever shown in macOS like that. and then Downloads is now gone, which it wasn't before. Doesn't make any sense compared to any other beta I've experienced for 10.15

23. timm1027 macrumors member

timm1027

Unless it’s really different from beta 6! I haven’t updated yet so don’t take my word on it. Will check it out once I update. Now that I re-read your first post it sounds like something may have changed. With beta 6 I have the normal sidebar Downloads folder with the down arrow, and then the iOS folder inside iCloud Drive.

24. krusnof macrumors member

krusnof

Now you’re making me doubt. I believe that Downloads in iCloud always linked to my macOS download folder and it was “merged” with the iOS one. But otherwise what you’re saying makes sense. Still missing folders which are in iOS and not macOS but that’s a different story

25. Chris The Bipolarbear macrumors regular

Chris The Bipolarbear

If you try to Buy Movies Tv Shows in TV app it dose not give the option to buy HD or SD version