Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
iOS 10 is one of the buggiest yet!

Phone app freezes daily on iPhone 6S. iPad screen rotate doesn't work on iPad Air 2 daily. Messages is now harder to use for the real things one needs like copy and paste, etc.

As an Apple user since 1993, it's looking like things are regressing, not getting better.

Reactions: sdz

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Then who? With every update it's always more emojis, why not implement new features that are beneficial?
It's just one of the changes that is being included. Other things are there. If emoji's weren't being updated it's not like the updates would somehow be magically different--they would still be the same just without the emoji updates being there as well.
[doublepost=1480978114][/doublepost]

Phone app freezes daily on iPhone 6S. iPad screen rotate doesn't work on iPad Air 2 daily. Messages is now harder to use for the real things one needs like copy and paste, etc.

As an Apple user since 1993, it's looking like things are regressing, not getting better.
I recall similar things being said by various people back in the initial iOS 9 days, iOS 8 days, iOS 7 days, and so on.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I'm being very melodramatic, but thanks for understanding. It's a nightmare and I really regret upgrading to a 7, and everyone I know who has an AT&T 7. Unlocked seems to work, but I don't want to sell my current phone to buy unlocked. Might as well leave iPhone altogether and go someplace else then.

What problems am I missing on my AT&T iPhone 7?

Reactions: xpxp2002

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It's just one of the changes that is being included. Other things are there. If emoji's weren't being updated it's not like the updates would somehow be magically different--they would still be the same just without the emoji updates being there as well.
[doublepost=1480978114][/doublepost]
I recall similar things being said by various people back in the initial iOS 9 days, iOS 8 days, iOS 7 days, and so on.
I guess I don't see the point of the abundance of emojis, the new touch bar was used to advertise them so I know there not going away but will only increase. I'm not one to spend 2-3 mins or longer trying to find that exact emoji to interject in a post, not going to happen.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Weird. It's almost as if when they appeal to the broadest group of people they sell the most and make the most money. Damn that company for making money!!

I suspect most of you who aren't sympathetic to the concerns of professional creatives and power users are too young to recall Apple's origins and evolution. The tastes and requirements of these cliques and tradesmen are whom Steve Jobs tried to impress. Apple's products had to have specs and capabilities that could perform tasks that were manually and technically sophisticated and often costly. Apple's premium pricing was justified by the tasks it performed.

Now that Apple's products are used by the masses, their sophistication is largely wasted and unjustified. Text messaging. Email. Web surfing. Listening to music. Any product can satisfy these activities properly. Using a $700+ device for these purposes is like owning a Bently to drive to the mall.

Reactions: JetBlack7

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Obviously, but it’s a constant reminder of the frivolous priorities of Apple lately while competitors are pursuing—and succeeding at—useful functions.

"sbailey4, post: 24024402, member: 647485"No wonder Apple never did public betas in the past, some users have no business dealing with beta software.
I’ve reported so many inconsistencies, inefficiencies and handicaps in their ecosystem that I should be charging them for consulting services.
What you are failing to understand is this is a MacRumors article, nothing from Apple. So if the MR authors mention emoji constantly that in no way says what Apples priorities are. I suppose if folks cannot see code changes and they CAN see new emojis then they assume that's ALL that Apple focused on. That is simply stupid logic. Wait until 10.2 releases and if the changelog says they added new emojis and that's all then I will retract my statement and take is all back.

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Then who? With every update it's always more emojis, why not implement new features that are beneficial?
What like single sign on for TV? Stuff like that maybe? yeah I agree, they should. Or even stuff like this list may be nice to. Oh wait ...............

Enhancements/New Features:
  • Notifications no longer take on the hue/color of your wallpaper unless they appear while you're on the home screen.
  • New wallpapers for from iPhone 7 keynote have been added to iPhone 7/Plus.
  • Some home screen wallpapers are no longer dimmed.
  • Full Unicode 9 emoji support with 72 new emojis.
  • New Preserve Camera settings.
  • Star Ratings can be enabled in Music settings.
  • New ‘Celebration’ Full Screen Effect in Messages.
  • New Videos widget.
  • Option to turn off Siri and Voice Control completely in accessibility settings.
  • New Siri introduction screen.
  • New option to sort playlists in Apple Music by Type, Title, and Recently Added.
  • Notification Centre opens into the same view you closed it in. (Scroll depth is also retained for both pages.)
  • "Show Contact Photos" setting for Messages now controls and applies to the photo at the top of conversations.
  • The Images section of the details view in iMessage conversations no longer shows stickers from iMessage Apps amongst normal images from the transcript.
  • In Quick Reply, the title appears as the contact or group chat name instead of "Messages".
  • Added option for Messages notifications to show a preview of the contents only if unlocked.
  • Activity data widget can now be added as a favourite in the Health app.
  • All Day events show up on the Calendar widget.
  • The Up Next widget now displays scheduled reminders.
  • Slight inertia when dragging down Notification Center past the Search Bar when in non-springboard apps.
  • Triple Click Home Button accessibility option now supports multiple new options.
  • New headphones indicator in Status Bar when connected to wireless (used to just be the Bluetooth icon).

Bug Fixes:

• Invisible button in Music app is finally gone!
  • Safari keyboard bug has been fixed (different but intentional behaviour for text boxes and when entering in the Address Bar).
  • When entering text in Quick Reply and then tapping the message box before sending, the entered text remains in the message box instead of being cleared.
  • A bug that allowed specific wallpapers to make the dock transparent has been fixed.
  • The "Downloaded" and "..." button overlap bug in the Music app on 4-inch devices and larger iPhones in zoom mode is fixed.
  • Canceling a page swipe from a conversation in Messages, no longer results in the keyboard sliding to the right as the page slides back to the left.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess I don't see the point of the abundance of emojis, the new touch bar was used to advertise them so I know there not going away but will only increase. I'm not one to spend 2-3 mins or longer trying to find that exact emoji to interject in a post, not going to happen.
There are other uses for the touch bar and other things being included in the updates. Nothing emoji related has to be used by anyone that doesn't care for them (for example, I don't, and accordingly don't care about them one way or another).

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Still waiting for weird jumpy app to home screen and app to app switcher animation to be fixed on iPhone 7 and 7 Plus...

I feel like this will be addressed in 10.3. It seems like Apple likes to hold all the apparent animation/polish fixes for x.3 updates.

Hopefully 10.3 beta drops soon after 10.2 goes public and hopefullyit fixes the jumpy issues.

bigpoppa

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2005
Seattle, WA USA

And yet I have experienced none of this things on my iPhone 7+.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What you are failing to understand is this is a MacRumors article, nothing from Apple. So if the MR authors mention emoji constantly that in no way says what Apples priorities are. I suppose if folks cannot see code changes and they CAN see new emojis then they assume that's ALL that Apple focused on. That is simply stupid logic. Wait until 10.2 releases and if the changelog says they added new emojis and that's all then I will retract my statement and take is all back.

None of that is lost on me or anyone else who is unimpressed with the the latest OS.

The headlining achievement of this OS was iMessaging/texting. It was the "big reveal" of the keynote, somehow more significant than overdue improvements to existing services. Odd that texting gimmicks and emojis are the most newsworthy feature of "the biggest OS update ever". Even MR emphasizes that fact in their summary of the OS.

If reporters, bloggers and customers failed to notice other changes or improvements it's because none explain the hype of Cook's statement. Meanwhile, Siri—which was overhyped from its introduction—continues to frustrate Users.

I'm not alone in my observations. Many veteran Apple customers are disappointed in today's half-efforts and undeserved hype.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

Remember that Apple doesn't introduce new emojis, that's done by Unicode Consortium; Apple just updates iOS to support the new ones to stay compliant. And doing so isn't exactly difficult, it just takes a graphic artist to come up with the emoji image; that's very different than introducing an actual new feature to the OS.

The trouble is, a lot of betas tend to be bug fixes or behind-the-scenes improvements, and Apple often doesn't like to shout about these as it seems to be an admission that things weren't already perfect, so people tend to assume the beta only relates to the visible changes... such as new emoji.

Reactions: sbailey4 and C DM

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
What like single sign on for TV? Stuff like that maybe? yeah I agree, they should. Or even stuff like this list may be nice to. Oh wait ...............

Enhancements/New Features:
  • New option to sort playlists in Apple Music by Type, Title, and Recently Added.

Oh, thank you so much for letting me know this. I curate monthly playlists for myself and they are such a pain to scroll to at the moment, (I love pulling the car over to scroll for a playlist). Especially as Siri seems to be getting worse at recognising playlist names.

"Play October 16 playlist",
"Sorry, I Can't find October sixteen playlist",
"Dammit Siri, this is what people are talking about"

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
On my iPhone 5s the lyrics aren't visible anymore in music. In the beta 5 it worked. Just made a reset. And now it's back. Relief!

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
In what manner? Only issue I have is the battery life took a big hit. I am usually at 70% by 4pm during the week and it is just over 50%.

Battery life alone makes it horrible.. but I've been getting a lot of bugs in messages. Pictures stay open when they are sent and cover up the screen when I go back to conversation lists. Double alerts when you quick reply as well as the lines being uncentered in the notification..
basically almost anything to do with the messages app..
Oh and I definetly feel the phone lagged more compared to beta 3/4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.