Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available Too]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today seeded the sixth beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update to developers, just under one week after seeding the fifth macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta and over a month after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

The sixth macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta is available for download through the Apple Developer Center or the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who have previously installed a beta.

[​IMG]

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's Night Shift mode to the Mac for the first time. First introduced on iOS devices with iOS 9.3, Night Shift is designed to gradually shift the display of a device from blue to yellow, cutting down on exposure to blue light. Blue light is said to disrupt the circadian rhythm and is believed to interrupt sleeping patterns.

Night Shift can be activated through the Displays section of System Preferences, where a setting to have it come on at sunset and turn off at sunrise is available. Night Shift can also be toggled on manually through the Notification Center or via Siri.

The 10.12.4 update focuses mainly on Night Shift, but also includes dictation support for Shanghainese, cricket scores for Siri, improved PDFKit APIs, and iCloud Analytics options.

Update: Apple has also made the sixth beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 available for public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available Too]

2. The Barron macrumors regular

Ok beta testers, are we getting close to a release with this version?

3. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I hope the PDFKit solves the jittery autosave problem, which is my main reason to downgrade and stay with El Cap so far.

4. peppespizzapie macrumors member

" macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's Night Shift mode " This ive been reading with the past FIVE updates. Uptill now it was just (very many) bug fixes and security holes. With that OS starts to look more and more like Windows!

5. rlsikosek macrumors newbie

I don't encounter any issues with this beta, I think it's almost ready for final release.

6. xSeaside macrumors member

7. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

Anyone else has mission control desktops disappear after reboot?

8. dyrer macrumors member

dyrer

There is not only Night shift with 10.12.4 but more changes.
    For example MAMP and XAMPP not working, so they made more changes

9. dogslobber macrumors 68000

dogslobber

Sounds like there's a pretty mega build in Beta 5.

10. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

What are you trying to say? I don't think I understand, sorry.

11. imran5720 macrumors member

imran5720

12. hamilto macrumors member

hamilto

I hate these beta updates. They're so boring and depressing after a while, hoping for some Macbook 2017, iMac, or other exciting news.

13. xObeyThePanda macrumors newbie

Have they said when APFS (Apple File System) is coming to MacOS ?

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

I would say so. Aside from Night Shift, macOS Sierra 10.12.4 adds only a handful of minor features (Siri, PDFKit) and bug fixes.

I was hoping for APFS in-place migration for external volumes but I guess that will wait until 10.13.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    It's already in macOS Sierra, although it's worth noting that volumes formatted with 10.12.0 may not work on later versions.

If you mean when macOS will be able to use APFS for startup volume, as well as missing support for FileVault, Time Machine, and Fusion Drive, I would say 10.13 in October. Furthermore, many major apps don't work with APFS startup volume (due to hard coded case insensitive file path).

15. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

All of these updates are beta updates. macOS Sierra 10.12.4 is still testing and has not been released yet.

16. now i see it macrumors 65816

I'll take a look at Sierra again when it hits 10.12.6.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

What are people expecting from beta updates for the same version, something new in each beta? That's not really how that works.

18. tywebb13 macrumors 68000

19. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

You don't have to install the beta. You also don't have to read this article either.

20. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

MAMP has worked perfectly through every Beta so far for me

21. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

22. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

23. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Don't think so, as soon as APFS is bootable case sensitivity won't matter.

24. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Rather illogical to hate beta updates because you are looking for news about MB 2017, iMac etc. and then post in this thread noting such, as if you were hoping to be surprised.

There is a disconnect here and it isn't with Apple.

25. MacBird macrumors 6502