Apple Seeds Sixth Beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 to Developers [Update: Public Beta Available Too]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Milltek macrumors regular

Has anyone tried APFS yet? Is it any faster than previous file system?

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

It mainly affects apps that look for files in certain locations and referencing it in case "insensitive" way (e.g., "/library/system/..." instead of "/Library/System/...").

3. Parsec macrumors member

If that happens, you could fix that with a soft-link (ln -s)

4. dogslobber macrumors 68000

dogslobber

HFS+ can be configured to be case sensitive too.

5. alexballvideos macrumors newbie

alexballvideos

Any fixes for inconsistant three finger drag on the 2016 MacBook Pro?

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes, I know.:)

7. Skoal macrumors 65816

I think a lot of "beta testers" aren't really testing anything. They just can't wait for updates so they pay the $100 a year to get new features 1st. Same with public beta testers. I'd be surprised if most even report bugs. They're in it for the yeehaa new features. The whole point of beta releases is to fix features, new or old. Not to add a new feature with every release.

8. patmacintosh macrumors newbie

patmacintosh

Yeah, just using the OS and reporting bugs should be enough for a PB tester... :eek:

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Back to work reporting beta bugs, newbie. o_O

10. kissmo macrumors 6502

Yeah kinda true.
    Besides tends to kill your battery - this is why I jumped off the beta programs.

11. dogslobber macrumors 68000

dogslobber

Is that so wrong? You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about it.

12. nutmac macrumors 68040

"/Library/System/..." was merely an example. Many apps hardcode many file paths that are difficult for Apple to account for.

I suspect at WWDC, Apple will announce (1) APFS becoming default on 10.13, (2) app developers will scramble to update their apps to make sure they work fine with case insensitive file system, (3) Apple will provide a "compatibility box" of some sort (lookup table for popular paths) for major incompatible apps as a last resort if #2 isn't progressing quick enough.

13. cjboffoli97 macrumors newbie

This build seems to have remedied a number of problems for me, including Bluetooth connection problems upon start-up (which would require a restart) and some intermittently glitchy graphics on my 5K iMac. Also, after many months of glacial performance with iTunes (including ten seconds of beachball just to switch from the Store to my library), the program seems to at least be working normally again. Thumbs up to this build so far.

14. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

Yes, and yes! I have my home dir on apfs so all but the OS runs off it. Only app that doesn't work is Photoshop (with that I ditched Photoshop for affinity photo) when installing or copying apps I sometimes wait for the file transfer pop-up in vain; it's instant. More free space too, and copying large directories is megafast. I'm very, very impreaaed. I'm on a 2012 MBP with 3rd party SSD.

I had some internet issues on the previous beta, hoping that'll be fixed now too.

15. sumgro macrumors newbie

sumgro

Would it be possible to list down the steps and challenges of migrating the Home Directory to AFPS? Is the setup done on single SSD or you've got 2 SSDs. Since I recall AFPS cannot boot MacOS currently. [Sorry for noob questions]

16. nzgeorge macrumors member

17. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

I partitioned the single, 1 TB SSD in two partitions (200 GB for the suysten, 800 GB for the data partition),
    Converted one partition into an apfs partition. (handy guide: https://www.howtogeek.com/272741/how-to-format-a-drive-with-the-apfs-file-system-on-macos-sierra/ )
    Copy over your home directory to the apfs partition, and change the location in advanced options under settings -> users -> you.

That's it. It could cost you your data though, so be careful.

18. macintoshmac macrumors 6502a

macintoshmac

It's coming as a Mac Pro special with pro features such as deeper customisation that f.lux has. Happy?

19. Fiachers macrumors newbie

MacRumours doesn't have to post it. You don't have to post a snarky comment.

20. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Apple collects automated data from many of these people I'm sure; e.g. spotting where crashing occurs often. It's not all wasted.

21. iamtheonlyone4ever macrumors member

iamtheonlyone4ever

Sierra is a fish in Spanish, in English = sawfish
    also Sierra in Spanish is a tool use for cutting wood or trees, in English = saw or/and chainsaw
    Sierra is a mountain
    Sierra is also a Mac OS

22. antmarobel macrumors 6502

antmarobel

...And I'm hopping, wishing, praying etc for a totally new, renewed, remodeled etc mac system cause, macOS Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, as we say in Brazil, have given what they had to give already!

23. zany.ninja macrumors newbie

zany.ninja

With Sierra 10.12.3, when I enter last in Terminal, every startup/shutdown has been logged as a crash. It's the same on both my Air and iMac. Is this a known issue? Has it been fixed in 10.12.4?

24. justperry, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Didn't know that one.(Last command)
    I just checked mine, kinda odd, only when I updated to a new beta, so yesterday and one week ago and every other beta update.

Hm, might do the same in the weekend, I have a 512 GB SSD in a 2012 MBP, plenty of free space.
    But, do I need to erase the disk, wouldn't resizing this partition and creating a new partition be enough, I myself think probably not cause of APFS.
    Yup, it's not that hard, especially moving the Home Folder

25. C DM macrumors Nehalem

Why wouldn't MacRumors post something about a new beta? It would make much less sense to almost no sense for them not to post about it.