Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Akshunhiro

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah I hope I can get more out of the 330M. I was really disappointed when I tried WoW on it.

I am playing WoW now on Ultra with the GTX 285 and it looks so good!

I'm not hitting my 60fps cap but it's certainly playable (well, dunno about 25M raids though). Averaging 40fps over Northrend.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
I'd...

I just replaced whole Extensions folder from the iMac update using Pacifist and it really feels better in native Mac games i have. Can't say how much better, but better for sure.

You can determine how much better by downloading GLView and it will show you your framerates. Too late though, you already updated so you can only get the after numbers.

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
2xUPDATE BELOW

I'm asking this to be sure everyone does the RIGHT thing if they decide to apply the iMac Graphics Update to their non-iMac computer.

I'll suppose people knows how pacifist works (opening the .pkg and so on), and they just need to know WHAT to install.

Afaik, the graphic adapters drivers are in
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/
In this folder, you will find many files. There are drivers (ATI, nVidia, Intel...) and more OS stuff.

The question here is:
what can we safely install without compromising our system?

20100805-cj54qebpgutd3ps95g9cdba28j.jpg

Once we know this, half the replies in this thread will be fulfilled :)

UPDATE:
I tried installing only the "nvidia" related files (geforce, nv, 7xxx and so on), and all I got has been OS X using Apple SOFTWARE drivers.
Then I used pacifist to install ALL the folder (Extensions) except the ati/intel stuff. After a restart, I got back to the Open GL drivers, now with a .18 instead of a .16 version.
I'll be testing now with WoW (the game that got the worst happenings after the 10.6.4 disaster drivers).

UPDATE 2:
I tested WoW with the new drivers. I have absolutely no words.
Dalaran with 10.6.4 drivers, lowest graphic settings, no antialiasing, no vsync: about 20-25 fps.
Dalaran with iMac updated drivers, ULTRA graphic settings, antialiasing 2x, vsync enabled: 60-70 fps.

After that, I enabled the 30 fps limit (/console maxfps 30) to let the graphics chip be cool.

And who knows what Dalaran means, will be :O like me.

I just hope a link leaking the beta drivers will come out... :)

Updates will be added...

this sounds fantastic but makes me nervous to try.

has anyone attempted this on a macbook or macbook pro?

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
I have an iMac 7,1 with the nvidia 8800 [edit] Trying it out now.. Pacifist is great!

Wouldn't it be funny if somehow they managed to wring higher FPS out of the OsX than Windows? That would confuse people. :D

Ed: This is looking good. This is looking REALLY good. :D

How did you get the 8800GS on the 2007 iMac?

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
GeForce 9400M

So any word on whether this improves performance of GeForce 9400M yet?

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Can someone post a link of where to get the 2010 iMac update? I have an 09 i7 with the 4850 that would greatly benefit (or so I've heard) from this update.

Is this the same process as doing what's described in this post?
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10723516/

EDIT: Found it: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1065

Going to try this when I get home!

http://www.google.com/search?q=imac+mid+2010+update

First non-news link.

I wouldn't give up home of a 9400M update. It's quite reasonable that they weren't included in the iMac update because iMac's don't have them.

Archmagination

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
How do you tell what OpenGl drivers you are using? I know earlier someone said that the new imac drivers are .18 and the old imac drivers are .16, but I can't figure out how to tell. I used pacifist and just selected the whole extensions folder and installed it. Nothing is obviously affected yet.

Is he talking about the System Profiler under Frameworks the OpenGl version? Mine says OpenGl version 1.6.8.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Very nice. Apple does listen to us whine. :)

Here's hoping this update fixes most of the graphic issues (wit games). Don't want to wait until 10.6.5 comes out for a fix.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
How do you tell what OpenGl drivers you are using? I know earlier someone said that the new imac drivers are .18 and the old imac drivers are .16, but I can't figure out how to tell. I used pacifist and just selected the whole extensions folder and installed it. Nothing is obviously affected yet.

Is he talking about the System Profiler under Frameworks the OpenGl version? Mine says OpenGl version 1.6.8.

ATI2400Controller.kext version number is 1.6.18.13, so i guess that's the ".18". As a matter of fact all ATI kexts (from the iMac update) are 1.6.18 or 1.6.18.13.

Keeval

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
U.K.
How did you get the 8800GS on the 2007 iMac?

I've got the same iMac 7,1 (with 8800 GS) and have just done the same change (Extensions folder) and it has improved things in SC2 .. fantastic.

And as to how the GFX card is in the iMac 7,1 , it was in the 3.06GHz versions.

You can either look at the extensions tab in GLView or look at the Extensions in system profiler.. look for the extension called GeForce

-Keeval-

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
According to rbarris over in the valve forums the reason Steam/Source games don't run on Nvidia 7xxx series hardware is because they don't support the blit extension. Can someone who updated their graphics drivers with a 7-series Nvidia card check to see if the blit extension has been added?

Here's a screenshot of the OpenGL Extensions viewer application pre-update. Has this changed?

screenshot20100805at549.png

ATMB

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
ATI2400Controller.kext version number is 1.6.18.13, so i guess that's the ".18". As a matter of fact all ATI kexts (from the iMac update) are 1.6.18 or 1.6.18.13.

Nope, sorry ^^

I have a GeForce 9600M+9400M (MacBook Pro), and .16 and .18 were referring to Nvidia kexts version number :)
Just Cmd+I on the kexts

bye!

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Nope, sorry ^^

I have a GeForce 9600M+9400M (MacBook Pro), and .16 and .18 were referring to Nvidia kexts version number :)
Just Cmd+I on the kexts

bye!

When you did your benchmark before, did you test the 9600M or the 9400M? I assume that the ones that are in beta are more complete in the way of all the drivers being refreshed.

With that being said given that the OpenGL Framework is also being given an update its more than likely that you'll see a modest performance improvement even if there isn't a massive driver over haul.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.