Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
31 mins to fully install, reboot.

Overview​

The macOS 12 SDK provides support to develop apps for Mac computers running macOS Monterey 12 beta 10. The SDK comes bundled with Xcode 13 beta 5, available from Beta Software Downloads. For information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 13, see Xcode 13 Release Notes.

AppKit​

Displays Preferences​

Known Issues​

• There might be issues with wakeup when dual monitors are connected. (79839446)
    Workaround: Connect the power adapter that came with the Mac.

CoreData​

Known Issues​

• NSExpression will immediately forbid certain operations that have significant side effects like creating and destroying objects. Additionally, casting string class names into Class objects with NSConstantValueExpression` is deprecated. (84017178)
    Workaround: Pass temporary objects to NSExpression in the context parameter of expressionValueWithObject:context:, or with NSPredicate the substitutionVariables parameter of evaluateWithObject:substitutionVariables:. You can create a derived predicate with all the substitution variables replaced (bound) using withSubstitutionVariables(_:) on an existing NSPredicate so that code using the object can continue to use a simple evaluate(with object: Any?) invocation.

Focus​

Known Issues​

• The system doesn’t allow notifications to break through a Focus, even if “Allow time sensitive notifications” is selected. (80998661)

iCloud​

Known Issues​

• Legacy Contacts has been removed from macOS Monterey 12 beta 5 and will return in a future release. (81292890)
  • Custom Email Domain addresses with delimiters like “+” or “-” can’t be configured. (82425376)
  • Custom Email Domain addresses that are associated with a separate iTunes account can’t be configured. (82358431)
  • Some accounts may not yet be eligible for Custom Email Domain. (82421769)

Language & Region​

Known Issues​

• Certain languages might display unlocalized text. (78476984)
  • Certain languages might exhibit clipped or misaligned layout. (78477103)

Mac Catalyst​

Known Issues​

• Setting the title color of a UIButton doesn’t work regardless of whether you use baseForegroundColor or titleColorForState:. (76566253)
  • System buttons have a black background color if no color is set. (76910619)
    Workaround: Set a color, or if you want the system default color, request a button using the iOS 14 and Mac Catalyst 15 or earlier API: buttonWithType:.

Maps​

Deprecations​

Known Issues​

• Rounded building corners might disappear. (80468151)

Networking​

Deprecations​

• Support for cleartext HTTP URL schemes for Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) is now deprecated. Use only HTTPS URL schemes for PAC. This affects all PAC configurations, including, but not limited to, configurations set via Settings, System Preferences, profiles, and URLSession APIs such as connectionProxyDictionary and CFNetworkExecuteProxyAutoConfigurationURL(_:_:_:_:). If you configure a cleartext HTTP PAC URL, the system may upgrade it to HTTPS during PAC file loads. Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) Protocol via DNS isn’t affected. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Option 252 WPAD may attempt to upgrade cleartext HTTP URLs to HTTPS during PAC file loads. (61981845)

Python​

Deprecations​

• If an app uses Python 2.7, macOS now triggers an alert indicating that the developer must update the app to ensure it will work in future versions of macOS. (80221011)

RealityKit​

Known Issues​

Safari​

Known Issues​

• Safari toolbar vibrancy and background color might adversely affect the legibility of tab buttons in the tab bar. (80417925)

SharePlay​

Deprecations​

• SharePlay development in macOS Monterey beta 6 and upcoming beta releases requires the installation of an updated SharePlay Development Profile. This profile enables successful creation and reception of GroupSessions via the Group Activities API in iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and tvOS 15 beta 7, as well as macOS Monterey beta 6. (81900143)

Swift​

Known Issues​

• Applications linking to RealityKit with the iOS 15 or macOS 12 SDKs will fail to launch on a previous OS. (79584511)
    Workaround: Add OTHER_LD_FLAGS = -weak_framework RealityFoundation to your Xcode Project settings to allow running RealityKit apps on an older OS.

SwiftUI​

Deprecations​

• controlProminence is deprecated. Use the new .borderedProminent ButtonStyle instead. (78908460)
  • Fn (Function) shortcut modifier is deprecated and reserved for system usage. (78627099)

Video Playback​

Known Issues​

• While watching a video in full-screen view in the Apple TV App or the Music App, you can’t exit full-screen view using the onscreen UI. (81598611, 81195781)
    Workaround: Press the escape key to exit full screen.

Xcode​

Known Issues​

• Xcode 12.5.1 won’t launch on macOS Monterey. (81520413)
    Workaround: Update to Xcode 13 to continue developing on macOS Monterey.

K-pax

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2021
Safari is garbage on my 2015 MacBook Pro. Plz tell me the boot time for this update is faster than BigSur??

• Haha
Reactions: Babygotfont

Cancelled
Jan 19, 2019
Can I ask what “more stable” actually means? I am generally a novice, and only use whatever is publicly available. In my mind, stable means a full system crash requiring a restart. I’m guessing I get those 1-2 times a year. If that is what you are referencing, how would you be able to test more/less stable in a relatively short period of time. Thanks for your replies.
I have the m1 and with Big Sur I did have all kind of weird stuff going on.
I did jump on macOS 12 in beta 1 and it has been much more stable for me then Big Sur was

• Haha

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Is universal control enabled and working? or is that going to come later?

Still can't run IOS APPS either like they said for Apple Silicon users. So what is the point of this new OS?

Boy When Windows 11 gets Android compatibility up and running and the New Alder Lake Intel I9 CPU's come out which SMOKE an M1 and leave it in the Dust APPLE has nothing left to brag about.
well, let's see what Apple will have to say next Monday first ...

• Sad

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Monterey's Low Power Mode is a workaround for the 2019 16" MBP's multi-monitor / external monitor excessive GPU power draw issue. I've been tempted to install a beta, but I think we're getting close enough that I'll just wait for GA.

• Haha

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
Seems settings for universal control are there, just unable to turn on... Using MacBook Air M1 and iPad Pro 11 M1.

by default 2021-10-13 at 1.31.42 PM.png

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Is universal control enabled and working? or is that going to come later?

Still can't run IOS APPS either like they said for Apple Silicon users. So what is the point of this new OS?

Boy When Windows 11 gets Android compatibility up and running and the New Alder Lake Intel I9 CPU's come out which SMOKE an M1 and leave it in the Dust APPLE has nothing left to brag about.
Universal control will come in a later version of Mac OS 12. Apple has gotten better about holding back features that are not yet ready and not trying to push them out in the .0 release just to hit a date. This is a more mature approach to software development.

You can certainly run iOS apps on M1 Macs. Are you complaining that some publishers have opted out of that? It might have been interesting for Apple to have forced all apps to be available but it really should be something that the app owners embrace rather than are forced into.

M1, maybe. it is the slowest Apple Silicon chip intended for the low end of the Apple line and it seriously challenges current Intel chips. Apple does not intend to stop there. Do you really think that Alder lake will smoke M1x chips? We'll see how that goes once they are both in users hands.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Seems settings for universal control are there, just unable to turn on... Using MacBook Air M1 and iPad Pro 11 M1.

View attachment 1864114
Do both machines have to be on the same iCloud account for this to work?

My use case would be my personal laptop (personal iCloud account) next to my work iMac (work iCloud account). It would be a shame if there was no way to authorize it to work between those machines!

• Wow

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
Do both machines have to be on the same iCloud account for this to work?

My use case would be my personal laptop (personal iCloud account) next to my work iMac (work iCloud account). It would be a shame if there was no way to authorize it to work between those machines!
Yes, must be the same ID as per Apple specifications, I'm using the same account on both my iPad and MacBook.

• Sad

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
Wow, this pretty much destroys the only use case for this feature for me. Way to go Apple for not understanding that sometimes one can use two machines signed into different Apple IDs.
Let's given them time to get Universal Control working properly under the same ID, and maybe later they will find a way to enable it for different IDs.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Let's given them time to get Universal Control working properly under the same ID, and maybe later they will find a way to enable it for different IDs.
Considering that's precisely the mechanism they came up with for that functionality (very much in line with other well-known features, like AirDrop and Continuity/Hand-off), it is highly unlikely that it will ever work across different IDs.

• Wow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.