Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dow Jones Newswires reports that Apple has filed a request for a preliminary injunction that would bar Samsung from selling its new Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany. Samsung launched the 10.1N earlier this month as a design-tweaked variant of the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 that is already barred from sale in Germany under an earlier injunction.
Apple has requested a preliminary injunction, and the Duesseldorf regional court has scheduled a hearing on the matter on Dec. 22, a spokesman for the court told Dow Jones Newswires on Tuesday.

The move has no effect on sales and distribution of the product, Samsung said in an emailed statement, while Apple repeated earlier comments that it intends to protect its intellectual property.
Samsung slightly tweaked the design of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 hardware to create the 10.1N, resulting in a frame that wraps around slightly onto the front of the device along its two short sides. Apple clearly feels that this design is not sufficient to overcome the ruling that the Galaxy Tab design infringes upon Apple's designs for the iPad, and is thus pursuing the new injunction.

galaxy_tab_10_1_n_comparison.jpg

Galaxy Tab 10.1N (top) vs. Galaxy Tab 10.1 (bottom)
Meanwhile, FOSS Patents confirms that Apple's initial injunction awarded against the Galaxy Tab in Germany does in fact cover all three announced sizes of the device: 10.1, 8.9, and 7.7. Apple cites that injunction in a filing in its U.S. case against Samsung, illustrating how the company is using its string of wins over Samsung in international courts to bolster its U.S. case.

Article Link: Apple Seeks Ban on Sales of Revised Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If anyone should be suing samsung, it's HTC, as they've blatantly now ripped off the Flyer.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Wow Apple give it a rest.

Samsung tablets are about as much of a threat as Geo Metros are to Ferrari sales.

cityathrt

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010
I... don't know about this. I definitely applaud Apple for defending its creations, and feel that Samsung has shown it's willing to negotiate by tweaking the design of its products. To continue to unilaterally sue Samsung into oblivion... I feel that Apple needs to draw a line somewhere and say alright, let's talk about royalties and features and functions you're going to hamstrung the Tab with in exchange for us dropping the lawsuit. That silver band and the different aspect ratio might be enough to set the Tab apart from the iPad. I just feel there needs to be dialogue somewhere, instead of this lawsuit bloodbath.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is getting ridiculous. So, only Apple is allowed to design a tablet with a screen and a black bezel? That's like saying only Ford is allowed to design a car with 4 wheels.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Who did not see this coming.

I want to know what the bond demand Samsung has placed on galaxy for if Apple losses the final court case.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
EMPHATICALLY, NO! DON'T give it a rest! Apple has not only the right, but the obligation to defend its patents. If it doesn't, it loses them, plain and simple.

----------

Too bad. Get over it.

Their pat tents are so strict its hard NOT to do that.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Yet another pathetic bullyboy move from Apple. Just get over it and move on for goodness sake! My respect for them drops by the lawsuit/day.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
This is getting ridiculous. So, only Apple is allowed to design a tablet with a screen and a black bezel? That's like saying only Ford is allowed to design a car with 4 wheels.

No one is allowed to COPY what Apple has patented. That's the whole idea of a patent.

Last edited by a moderator:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Apple is making a lousy new impression on me

Really, just now?

It wasn't when Apple... I mean, its not for the fact that Apple has never offered 'choice' in their products? Removable batteries? Flash card slots in devices (iphone)? It wasn't for apple slamming other competitors (march keynote when they ripped off Google Cloud, RIM's BBM, Android's notifications?). What about Apple's dancing around Creative patent for the UI navigation?

The list goes on. Apple as a corporation is far from a little angel. Only a true fanboy would have to think otherwise (not saying you, but there are far too many people brainwashed into thinking that everything apple does is right).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
No one is allowed to COPY what Apple has patented. That's the whole idea of a patent.
Have you looked at Apple Patent.

It is basically like Ford patenting a car with 4 wheels and then suing Nissan for having a car with 4 wheels.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Their pat tents are so strict its hard NOT to do that.

Yeah, life is hard, pal. You think it was easy for Apple to produce the iPad. Think they just pulled it out of their butts? Think again.

You deadbeats obviously have no clue what it takes to create something of real value.

You bet it's HARD to make something as good as an iPad, which is what these other companies are finding out.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Apple: "Your tablet's entire design is just a copy of our tablet in 50 different ways. Here is the proof."

Samsung: "Damn...well, here, we've slightly changed the cosmetics around a few of the things you specified."

Apple: ?

Making a direct derivative of an illegal clone design fixes the problem how?

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
Really, just now?

It wasn't when Apple... I mean, its not for the fact that Apple has never offered 'choice' in their products? Removable batteries? Flash card slots in devices (iphone)? It wasn't for apple slamming other competitors (march keynote when they ripped off Google Cloud, RIM's BBM, Android's notifications?). What about Apple's dancing around Creative patent for the UI navigation?

The list goes on. Apple as a corporation is far from a little angel. Only a true fanboy would have to think otherwise (not saying you, but there are far too many people brainwashed into thinking that everything apple does is right).

You're gonna get downvoted to hell with this post. But apple is really making it hard for me to respect them. It's been like that since they started suing left and right

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

And Apple thought it could get away with 'copying' Creative's UI.

Are you aware of what those patents are that Apple's crying about? They're vague and verbose. They should be thrown out of the courtroom and Apple should be told to continue innovating. Steve Jobs bitched about Google entering the mobile devices area and deciding to compete with them, but for some reason Google got exempt and has gone after Samsung, an area where Apple decided to compete against THEM?

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
And Apple thought it could get away with 'copying' Creative's UI.

Are you aware of what those patents are that Apple's crying about? They're vague and verbose. They should be thrown out of the courtroom and Apple should be told to continue innovating. Steve Jobs bitched about Google entering the mobile devices area and deciding to compete with them, but for some reason Google got exempt and has gone after Samsung, an area where Apple decided to compete against THEM?

And RIM And microsoft didn't care when Apple entered the smartphone market. I guess steve is a cry baby, afraid of competition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.