Apple Sees Notebook Shipments Increase Year on Year in Q1 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's notebook shipments totaled an estimated 3.4 million units in the first quarter of the 2017 calendar year, representing a year-on-year increase of 15.4 percent, according to new data published by market research firm TrendForce.

Shipments of MacBooks and MacBook Pros actually declined 15.8 percent against the previous quarter of 2016, reflecting a somewhat similar decline for the overall notebook market over the same period, however the company's Q1 2017 numbers indicated strong demand in terms of a year-on-year increase in overall MacBook shipments.

[​IMG]

HP, Lenovo, Dell, and Asus all suffered marginal market share declines compared to Q4 2016, but Apple's share stayed level over the last two quarters, enabling it to maintain fifth place in the shipment rankings. However sixth-placed Acer gained 0.8 percent ground on Apple over the same period, which TrendForce put down to expanded stocking of notebooks by channel distributors in anticipation of increased device production costs.

[​IMG]

TrendForce estimates that MacBook shipments for the second quarter of 2017 will grow by more than 10 percent compared with the first quarter. The firm attributes this projection to suggestions that Apple will update its 12-inch MacBook with a new processor and the possibility of promotional pricing for some older models.

Recent rumors suggest Apple could be planning to announce refreshes for both the MacBook and MacBook Pro at June's Worldwide Developers Conference. The notebooks are expected to be updated with faster Kaby Lake processors, an update from the Skylake processors in the current machines. Apple is also said to be considering updating the MacBook Air with new internals, as sales of Apple's most affordable notebook have remained surprisingly strong.

Article Link: Apple Sees Notebook Shipments Increase Year on Year in Q1 2017

2. Appleaker, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68020

I think the upcoming price reductions will help this, as well as the due improvements. Although ports is the main weak spot for people when choosing a laptop... even if they don't really use them they like to have them there. Meanwhile the iPad is declining. But I think Apple have got their priorities straight now... kind of.

3. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

If Apple does announce the rumored updates at WWDC, shipments will no doubt improve immensely.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Even a significant price drop on the MBA without a hardware refresh would be great. At £700 those things would be unstoppable.

They're still fine machines. Really portable, legacy ports, great battery life. More than adequate for a lot of students or first time users looking to dip into the Mac ecosystem.

5. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

After almost 2 years of no Macbook Pro update, I would have expected much higher sales. Seems like the new Macbook Pro isn't the huge success this article claims. I'm curious to see what Apple does to appease the Pro demographic.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

How about shipping a MacBook Pro that the users actually want?

7. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

This won't help in bringing the price down....:confused:

8. plexdk macrumors 6502

And here we go again... The people who actually own one, are pretty happy with it - at least the ones i know IRL, including myself..

9. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

The vast majority are probably the 2015 MBPs.

10. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Macrumors AutoGuy 1.0

10 LET MACLAG = 2
    20 IF MBP2017>MBP2016 THEN PRINT "after ", MACLAG, " years without upgrades, these sales suck", GOTO 40
    30 IF MBP2017<MBP2016 THEN PRINT "no wonder! The new MBP sucks. Tim Cook must be fired!"
    40 END

RUN

11. brendu macrumors 68020

The MacBook Pro was updated in 2015 and 2016. It's the only model that has seen semi regular updates through the Mac update drought.

12. somerandommacperson macrumors newbie

somerandommacperson

"was well-received by consumers"? Huh? Who? Propagating quotes like that will only get us more touch bars.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

No. They probably aren't.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2017 ---
    Do you know anyone who bought one and has commented on it? I have a few friends who got various models of the 2016 MBP and they all love it. Hell I would have one right now if I could justify the cost.

14. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I don't think it's "surprisingly" strong.

The MBA is the last portable that out of the box can charge an iPhone without adapters.

The MB and MBP have become what the Air used to be in terms of eschewing "legacy" technology.

The MBA is the most conventional notebook Apple makes.

15. NinjaHERO, May 22, 2017

NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

The Macbook Pro was not updated in 2016. It might have had a price drop. But the tech in that model, which is still for sale, is from 2015. Almost 2 years ago.

edit: I apologize, you are correct. It was the end of 2016. But again, it was almost 2 years before that refresh happened.

16. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Probably being the operative word. With even influencers like Marco Arment experiencing keyboard issues and laundry list of comments from users sharing the same experience regarding build quality, no wonder the Refurb section is drowning in returns.

17. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

The MBA is a great machine but I think its writing is on the wall sadly

18. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Oh give over. Like that's really the first thought of a Pro user who can get their entire workstation coming to life through one port, boasting 40Gb/s throughput.

Yet we get "waah wahh I can't charge my iPhone". Honestly.

The 2016 MBP is the best MBP in its class for what it was designed to do; control your workstation by plugging in one or adapters. It actually involves a lot less wires on a static workstation. It's ironic that on the one occasion Apple ask people to 'Think Different', people cry and say there's no innovation because they're so stuck in their ways.

19. somerandommacperson macrumors newbie

somerandommacperson

I live in a mac world. We all develop on macs. I'm surrounded by mac users. I only "know" of a few people via twitter who are happy with theirs. I keep going into the Stores and playing with them trying to justify the purchase, but I can't. I can't find a real use case for the touch bar.

Does anyone know if it uses power when not active? Comparing the battery life of the two 13" models makes me concerned I'd be paying a touch bar power tax.

20. plexdk macrumors 6502

Indeed. I think there is macrumors forum, and the rest.. i've stopped seeing the macrumors forum, as the general public's oppinion :rolleyes:

21. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Well, you chose the right time to join today and express your dissatisfaction. Good job. :rolleyes:

22. citysnaps, May 22, 2017

citysnaps macrumors 601

You mean like the incredibly flexible four Thunderbolt 3 ports each of which can support 40 Gb/Sec transfer rates. Which can also be used as USB C ports at v3.1 10 Gb/sec rates? Or the wide gamut DCI P3 display? Or the super fast SSD rates? All in a compact package.

All from 2015? With 20 year old USB A ports?

23. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

I would love to upgrade my MBPr, but to buy a new one for me right now would be a downgrade.

Key items for me like the SDCard slot (which I use for extra storage with a MicroSD) and HDMI port for presentations have been removed. Differentiators like the magsafe charger are gone too.

I see undemanding consumers saying on forums "it's gone so deal with it", like when anyone mentions the removal of the 3.5mm headphone socket on the iPhone 7, a device I would have almost certainly purchased. For me it is a necessity, and I am not prepared to start buying loads of additional dongles just to work around a devices deficiencies.

Personally, I am dealing with it, I deal with it by not handing over my money. Assuming I am not the only one, I wonder though, what the shipments and profits could be. I mean, would anyone not buy an iPhone becuase it does have a headphone socket?

24. somerandommacperson macrumors newbie

somerandommacperson

When should I have joined? Been reading stuff here for years. That quote drove me to sign up. I mean, come-on, there was a ton of pushback when the touch bar mac was announced! So much so that apple said they'd be releasing a "pro" version sometime.

25. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Oh, Apple said that about the MacBook Pro? Or just the iMac and the Mac Pro? (hint, it's the second one :p)

Don't take MR comments for actual feedback. People moaned about the Touchbar and the new Macs in general based on the keynote alone. Those who actually bought the machines, loved them.