Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Selling New Leather/Silicone Cases for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's unveiling of the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus and the Apple Watch, Apple also announced plans to introduce new cases for both of the new iPhones. First of all, the company will be continuing the leather line of cases that it first introduced for the iPhone 5s, offering cases that will fit both the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

The cases are crafted from hand-selected leather that's been treated with aniline dye, and they feature a microfiber interior to protect the phone and its new protruding lens. The leather cases are available in Black, Olive Brown, Midnight Blue, Soft Pink, and Product (RED).

Along with the leather cases, Apple is also offering custom-fit silicone cases for the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, which offer protection while "maintaining their incredibly slim form." The silicone cases come in Black, White, Pink, Blue, Green, and Product (RED).
New custom-fit silicone cases cover iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus while maintaining their incredibly slim form. The camera stays protected just beneath the case, while a soft microfiber lining cushions the entire iPhone. Each perfectly form-fitting case has a smooth finish that feels as good as it looks.
Leather cases for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 are priced at $45, while leather cases for the 5.5-inch version are priced at $49. Silicone cases for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 are priced at $35, and 5.5-inch silicone cases are $39.

Cases for the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus are listed on Apple's website and will presumably be purchasable beginning on Friday, September 19, when the iPhones hit stores. Pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus will begin on Friday, September 12.

Article Link: Apple Selling New Leather/Silicone Cases for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Reviews for the iPhone 5/5s leather cases were very poor overall. Apparently the leather degrades very quickly with general use. I would love a leather case, so let's hope they've made them more resistant this time.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I don't use a case and won't start but those silicone cases are overpriced. Not surprising.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
After seeing how poorly my back leather Apple case has worn, I'm gonna go for the silicone this time around I think.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I hope they fixed the leather issue of it fading or breaking early. However Apple always took care of me when the case needed to be replaced. I'm not a big of the opening at the bottom. I wish it was fully covered.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
The camera lens is not recessed, will scratch like crazy... so now they have a case that will cause the lens to be recessed.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
At least they fixed the major flaw with the 5S case which was that the bottom was covered so it wouldn't allow me to use the lightning adapter with the case on. Although I hope they have designed the dock with the case in mind as well or there's another problem

dugbug

macrumors 65816
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
At least they fixed the major flaw with the 5S case which was that the bottom was covered so it wouldn't allow me to use the lightning adapter with the case on. Although I hope they have designed the dock with the case in mind as well or there's another problem

Huh? You mean the silicone one? I have the 5S leather and have full use of the ports

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I love my black leather iPhone 5 case and am delighted they're making one for the 6. So what if the leather gets a bit scuffed - that's what leather does if you're doing it right.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Will this one work with external peripherals? My 5s with Apple's leather case doesn't even fit into Apple's own iPhone charging stand. That's just freaking stupid. Hopefully they've solved this problem with the 6.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Can't believe they are actually charging $5 more for the plus cases. You couldn't just absorn the 1 penny increase in materials in the bigger cases?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Huh? You mean the silicone one? I have the 5S leather and have full use of the ports

The lightning to 30-pin adapter does not fit with the leather case and the cabled version of the adapter is an extremely tight fit.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England

The leather 5S case will not allow the phone to fit into the official 5S dock or allow me use the official 30-pin to Lightning adapter because it adds too much bulk to the phone (I can still use a normal Lightning cable and the headphone jack), with this it looks as though they've removed the bottom so that the adapter and dock shouldn't be a problem.

dugbug

macrumors 65816
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
The leather 5S case will not allow the phone to fit into the official 5S dock or allow me use the official 30-pin to Lightning adapter because it adds too much bulk to the phone (I can still use a normal Lightning cable and the headphone jack), with this it looks as though they've removed the bottom so that the adapter and dock shouldn't be a problem.

Oh I understand what you are saying how

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.