Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I want a bumper. Easy on/off (I don't want a case always), and minimal, but good corner protection for drops, and keeps the surface of the phone off of tabletops/floors.

I wanted that case type before Apple even came up with it. I've chosen that type every time. Luckily, Amazon sells many varieties for cheap. No need to buy from Apple.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
After seeing how poorly my back leather Apple case has worn, I'm gonna go for the silicone this time around I think.

Which color is it? Darker leather cases generally age better. My wife is using the black leather and it's holding off surprisingly well actually.

Anyway, I think $10 premium for leather over silicone is pretty fair.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Which color is it? Darker leather cases generally age better. My wife is using the black leather and it's holding off surprisingly well actually.

Anyway, I think $10 premium for leather over silicone is pretty fair.

I've actually got the black one. My phone and its case is babied and never dropped, yet the leather started to split around the bottom speaker, the volume buttons are practically flat, and there are big crease marks down the sides.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
The leather 5S case will not allow the phone to fit into the official 5S dock or allow me use the official 30-pin to Lightning adapter because it adds too much bulk to the phone (I can still use a normal Lightning cable and the headphone jack), with this it looks as though they've removed the bottom so that the adapter and dock shouldn't be a problem.

This was my only problem with the leather case for my 5S. I will absolutely love the new case and how it's designed.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Reviews for the iPhone 5/5s leather cases were very poor overall. Apparently the leather degrades very quickly with general use. I would love a leather case, so let's hope they've made them more resistant this time.

What are you talking about? Do YOU have one?

I have one on my 5s since launch day, and it's the best iPhone case I've ever had. It's the slimmest, best fitting, most comfortable, most durable, and most useful case I've ever had. I've gone through dozens over the years with various iPhones. The Apple leather case for the 5s was the first one that got all the points right.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I hope they fixed the leather issue of it fading or breaking early. However Apple always took care of me when the case needed to be replaced. I'm not a big of the opening at the bottom. I wish it was fully covered.

The closed bottom of the old leather case made third party lightning accesories a pita... Good riddance.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Monoprice is selling cases now at $5

Monoprice is great, but I don't see any iPhone 6 Plus cases yet. Maybe they don't read MacRumors? ;)

After printing out a papercraft iPhone 6 Plus to get a real-world idea of the size, I think Apple may need to make a Smart Cover for it! Monoprice might eventually offer a simple folio-style case.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
The iPhone doesn't need covers!

This one does thanks to that bulging camera! lol

Seriously tho These Leather cases are actually very nice and hold up very well. I'm not easy on cases and I love the black 5s one I have on My 5. Very durable, has held up great for 6 months so far

jasje

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
How will these covers work with the rounded edges on the screen? It seems like they are covering them op?

j005279

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
good luck scratching that sapphire lens..

I didnt use a case with my iphone 5 which also has a sapphire lens. It has a couple of small dots/scratches now that subtly appear in photos. I hate cases and dont care about scratches on the aluminum but I cant deal with a scratch on the camera. For this reason I will get a case for my new 6.

----------

Does anyone have a link or know the dimensions of the new phones with the cases on them? I'm interested to see the new thickness in mm that they add and also if there is a difference in size between leather and silicone. I've never used a case but due to the protruding camera I will need one if I dont want the phone to wobble when using it flat on the desk.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
I hope they fixed the leather issue of it fading or breaking early. However Apple always took care of me when the case needed to be replaced. I'm not a big of the opening at the bottom. I wish it was fully covered.

The opening at the bottom will allow me to use my 30 pin -> lightning dongle so I can use my alarm clock dock at night and all my legacy connections. I'm happy it's there.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I've had very good luck with my red leather iPhone 5S case, so I'll probably get another for my 6 Plus. It has worn well under heavy use and retained color and appearance nicely. I recommend the leather ones highly.

I think they are no more expensive than other quality cases. You can get super cheapies on Ebay but they fall apart very quickly. Learned that one the hard way!

I've bought a bunch of cases for my various iPhones and those of my teenage grandsons. The one big "ouch" was when I bought them ~$100 Otterbox cases for their iPhones 5 and they all abandoned them because they could not use their Beats headphones with them because of the right angle mini plug on the 'phones. The adapters we bought just didn't hold up and in the end they wouldn't use them. Bummer.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Apple Selling New Leather/Silicone Cases for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus

Reviews for the iPhone 5/5s leather cases were very poor overall. Apparently the leather degrades very quickly with general use. I would love a leather case, so let's hope they've made them more resistant this time.

???

One year later, my iPad Air leather case in great shape.

----------

Was last years iPhone 5C case silicone?

It was very nice, i like my wife's... But most squishy silicone cases are bleh... Soooo ???

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
tots. i got 5 colors for 2,50 each on amazon and they feel and fit just the same and dont have that ugly cut out at the bottom. all they miss is the apple logo

Do you have a link? All I can find is ugly ones with either huge logos or tacky cutouts for the Apple logo. Been looking for Plus cases, though.

Just want a plain black silicone case like I have on my 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.