Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Encourage my foot.

I would classifythis as spam..

If uses don't want to, then don't harass them..

These come under harassment:-

- every time u reset iPhone, or need to and charging, Apple pushes iOS 8.x to you... yes u can get round that by stick it in Airplaine mode, which i do, but it's a real problem... I just want to charge

But by Apple inconsistent, "we" must do this, I don't even trust 3g when plugged in since Apple says "may update" on their support site, which to me means, they like to surprise us.

Apple may be just doing a curiosity email check up, but if users want to know, they'll Google it..

I don't really mind the badge icon staying around and never checking or downloading again (once removed from usage), but the fact it does it, ticks my off.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I view that as spam.
Encourage my foot.

I would classifythis as spam..

If uses don't want to, then don't harass them..

These come under harassment:-

- every time u reset iPhone, or need to and charging, Apple pushes iOS 8.x to you... yes u can get round that by stick it in Airplaine mode, which i do, but it's a real problem... I just want to charge

But by Apple inconsistent, "we" must do this, I don't even trust 3g when plugged in since Apple says "may update" on their support site, which to me means, they like to surprise us.

Apple may be just doing a curiosity email check up, but if users want to know, they'll Google it..

I don't really mind the badge icon staying around and never checking or downloading again (once removed from usage), but the fact it does it, ticks my off.
Seems like this would be sent to those who opted in to getting various news and announcement emails from Apple. So having such an email sent once isn't something that would be out of scope of that.

Last edited:

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
For my iPad 3 (iOS 6), iPhone 4S (iOS 6), iPhone 5s (iOS 7.0):

Quick type - Don't care/need.
Health - Does not work/compatible.
Family sharing - Don't need/use.
iCloud drive - Never used/need.
Continuity - Not compatible with Snow Leopard.

My iOS 8 update is waiting...to be removed by me if I can!
They can't simply make us update by forcing the download (which is like breaking into my place and do a dump), breaking some feature (FaceTime), making App Store updates unusable (See attached), or making it slow to the point where it is essentially a paper weight (see all test results).

It is my device and I decide how it should work and not be forced to become obsolete before it is broken.
And don't even get me started to talk about the Mac OS update "reminder" that looks like my Mac got hacked like a Windows machine...

Attachments

• IMG_0039.PNG
    IMG_0039.PNG
    244.8 KB · Views: 83

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i think they're desperate to give the appearance that fragmentation doesn't happen with iOS, since it's purely an android problem.

----------

that is why you should always jailbreak, save shsh blobs, and downgrade if you need to.
Are SHSH blobs even relevant to devices like iPad 2 and later?

----------

I'm guessing a lot of people are turned off by the new interface. It's a radical departure.
What new interface?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
For folks with too little free space to upgrade and too much content that can't be deleted or downloaded to a computer to create the needed space, Apple should offer an option where content is offloaded to itunes I. The cloud and then returned to the device after the upgrade is complete.

Of course apple would have to warn the user that the time to accomplish this would be very long.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I for one wish i hadnt updated to Ios 8, yosimite, the new itunes or new safari.

everything is unstable and horrid now, itunes is a mess when you are trying to go through a LOT of TV Shows, the loss of the side bar is unforgivable.

Home sharing is borken, two apple TVs that worked fine now play 2-5 mins of a show then lose the server connection.. meaning i have to go reboot the imac and hope it works, sometimes takes two or three restarts...went to apple about this and was told to log it with support, support said take the apple tv into an apple store...bloody problem is obviously with the new itunes...

i think ill be taking the xmas break to roll back to mavericks, and the older versions of itunes and safari, then, disabling updates.. i think im done with apple and the new Style over Function kick they are on..

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
The more legacy crap it supports, the worse it gets for devellopers and the worse the OS becomes. Not sure you want that. Windows 7 doesn't support all older hardware from 2002, even vista had scant support for much hardware and it came out 4 years after XP.

That's nonsense. Win7 has far less requirements and supports more hardware than Vista. It was a true improvement on XP whereas Vista was a disaster. Supporting legacy drivers costs nothing but hard drive space. Basically, everything you say is ill conceived, IMO. OS X is NOT getting slower due to legacy support. It's getting slower because they keep adding more CRAP to the OS (the same reason ALL operating systems get slower), most of which does nothing noticeably useful for the user, but lets Apple developers get lazier and lazier with more layers of higher level functions (notice the new support for apps in 10.10 for people that "aren't traditional programmers"; THAT is what slows the crap out of iOS).

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
That's nonsense. Win7 has far less requirements and supports more hardware than Vista. It was a true improvement on XP whereas Vista was a disaster. Supporting legacy drivers costs nothing but hard drive space. Basically, everything you say is ill conceived, IMO. OS X is NOT getting slower due to legacy support. It's getting slower because they keep adding more CRAP to the OS (the same reason ALL operating systems get slower), most of which does nothing noticeably useful for the user, but lets Apple developers get lazier and lazier with more layers of higher level functions (notice the new support for apps in 10.10 for people that "aren't traditional programmers"; THAT is what slows the crap out of iOS).

Reallly, you think you can just plop an old driver and incorporate it into a new OS. Really. You are sure you know what your saying.... The answer is : not a chance. It takes a huge effort to support legacy hardware on the OS side, just like it takes a big effort supporting old code on the hardware side (Intel CPU's still have much cruft).

BTW, the only reason Win 7 had drivers is that after the utter disaster that Vista initially was (Vista had a hugely different architecture than XP), many service packs later, it had better support for legacy hardware. Later versions of Vista and Win7 are actually pretty close under the hood, which explains why the rollout of Win7 was mostly uneventful.

----------

Are SHSH blobs even relevant to devices like iPad 2 and later?

----------

What new interface?

The same 7 interface they already adopted with 7... ;-). So, basically the person doesn't know what he's saying.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Progress and pigeonholes

wow you are progressive. …

;) yeah …

With happiness: iOS 3.1.3 on a first generation iPhone, I don't know whether both of the HFSX slices are journaled.

Greater happiness: OS X 10.9.5 on a 2009 17" MacBookPro5,2, with a storage system that's confidential alongside the less progressive HFS Plus. I chose to use Apple's Core Storage storage system to provide the devices that are used for both the HFS Plus file system and the lesser known storage system.

It's not easy to pigeonhole me or my use cases :cool:

PS thanks to whoever moderated later posts (including my own) – nicely done.

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Reallly, you think you can just plop an old driver and incorporate it into a new OS.

You honestly believe that Yosemite is a NEW OS??? :eek: Please. LOL. It's some compartmental updates at best with a graphical makeover of new icons and buttons.

I'll give an example and then I'm done wasting my time with you since it doesn't seem like you know much about operating systems. Leopard did not support the ATI Rage 128 graphics card beyond VGA use (this was for a PPC server) and Leopard had a heck of a lot more "new" stuff in it than Yosemite's coare has compared to Mavericks. All I had to do in order to get full Quartz support was copy the kext file from Tiger over to the Leopard install. Bingo. So YES, you CAN sometimes copy over old drivers to many OS updates. Others need a simple recompile.

The thing is that operating systems like UNIX are built with optional additions like libraries. If a program needs an additional library to compile, you can add it. If not, you don't need to have it present. If a program doesn't need any of the changed OS parts to function, it doesn't need changed. This is why Logic 9 still works in Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite, even without any stability updates despite the fact I bought it for Snow Leopard. Unless the OS *BREAKS* something an app needs to run, that app will keep on running in the OS update and it's precisely because it's not a "new" OS that this works. The Mac hasn't had a truly "new" OS since OS X V10.0. With OS X, the mere presence of a driver or application program DOES *NOT* slow down the operating system or in any UNIX or UNIX-like system. It just sits there on the hard drive unused. Windows uses things like the registry that gets bigger and bigger and so the buildup of old and new software over time slows things down. That does NOT happen in OS X. Getting rid of the PPC drivers and libaries in OS X did not "speed up" OS X ONE TINY BIT! It only freed up hard drive space. Hell, Snow Leopard was slower on my Macbook Pro than Leopard and that was supposed to be an optimization update, but the only "optimization" I saw was getting rid of PPC code, but as predicted, it didn't "speed up" anything here. It actually got slower due to the addition of more crap to the OS in general and I have the benchmarks here still to prove it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I got an email the other day. Ha, i'm not installing that malware and ruining my iPad's. :p

"If you like your iOS 8, you can keep your iOS 8"

- Barack Obama

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Well if ios8 didn't need such a large amount of space the adoption rate would be better. I have a 32gb iPad air and had to delete a good portion of my stuff to to install it.

On top of all that my iPad has been acting funky since I've upgraded. It's much slower than it was befor.

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
ios6 on my ipad2&4s.
Extremely happy with the performance and happy to have listened to people on macrumours a year ago who upgraded to io7 on these devices before doing it myself.

Both the ipad2 and 4s running just fine a year later, no slow down. although i love my retina mini on ios7, I'm starting to like ios6 more so now with clear indication of buttons to navigate, more than 9 apps in a folder on one screen, blackness.
rMini is to bright with all the whiteness to use at night before sleep :(

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
How is that biting them in the arse? A bunch of people buying new iphones (because they think that's the only way they can get the newest software) means more revenue for Apple. Maybe that was the master plan all along.

You assume all will buy new iPhones. Many will be peeved and just go to Android where they can get more storage for less.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
You honestly believe that Yosemite is a NEW OS??? :eek: Please. LOL. It's some compartmental updates at best with a graphical makeover of new icons and buttons.

I'll give an example and then I'm done wasting my time with you since it doesn't seem like you know much about operating systems. Leopard did not support the ATI Rage 128 graphics card beyond VGA use (this was for a PPC server) and Leopard had a heck of a lot more "new" stuff in it than Yosemite's coare has compared to Mavericks. All I had to do in order to get full Quartz support was copy the kext file from Tiger over to the Leopard install. Bingo. So YES, you CAN sometimes copy over old drivers to many OS updates. Others need a simple recompile.

The thing is that operating systems like UNIX are built with optional additions like libraries. If a program needs an additional library to compile, you can add it. If not, you don't need to have it present. If a program doesn't need any of the changed OS parts to function, it doesn't need changed. This is why Logic 9 still works in Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite, even without any stability updates despite the fact I bought it for Snow Leopard. Unless the OS *BREAKS* something an app needs to run, that app will keep on running in the OS update and it's precisely because it's not a "new" OS that this works. The Mac hasn't had a truly "new" OS since OS X V10.0. With OS X, the mere presence of a driver or application program DOES *NOT* slow down the operating system or in any UNIX or UNIX-like system. It just sits there on the hard drive unused. Windows uses things like the registry that gets bigger and bigger and so the buildup of old and new software over time slows things down. That does NOT happen in OS X. Getting rid of the PPC drivers and libaries in OS X did not "speed up" OS X ONE TINY BIT! It only freed up hard drive space. Hell, Snow Leopard was slower on my Macbook Pro than Leopard and that was supposed to be an optimization update, but the only "optimization" I saw was getting rid of PPC code, but as predicted, it didn't "speed up" anything here. It actually got slower due to the addition of more crap to the OS in general and I have the benchmarks here still to prove it.

I agree with you and it would take Apple a long time to truly rewite OSX. Apple would need a lot of man power and that they don't have.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.