Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Sending Emails Letting Apple TV+ Subscribers Know About Extended Trial Access

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
All of my (non-Apple) subscriptions do as you said - and continue until their expiration date. Is apple more ruthless?
If you have actually paid for Apple TV+, then it will continue until the time period you’ve paid for is over. Only the free trial period ends immediately when canceled.

Reactions: JagRunner
Comment

bobmans

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2020
Also for the people who haven't purchased a new Apple device that was eligible for the 1year trial, that promotion is still active so you will receive 1year of ATV+ if you're planning on purchasing an iPhone 12 :)

Comment

calstanford

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Utterly useless service. The only good things on it were things NOT filmed or directed or influenced by Apple but just bought in (Tehran, Greyhound).

The Apple stuff is nothing but US propaganda (For All Manking, oh god oh god) or disney-style politcal bla (The Morning Show)

• Haha
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jxdawg and dmr2112
Comment

bobmans

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2020
Who would want to pay for this service? It has nothing.
I've been subscribed on-and-off for the past year and the shows on there are really good and a really high production-value. Apple is definintely going the quality over quantity route with ATV+ and I kinda like that. It's definitely worth $5/mo imo, especially if you can just subscribe if you see something you like and cancel when there's nothing interesting left to watch.

Reactions: dmr2112
Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
And just like that, after I created a reminder to cancel my trial next year, I got an email from Apple saying that they extended it by 1 month.... :D

Comment

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
You can extend the trial for as long as you want and it won't make a difference unless you have content people want to watch.
18 months of nothing isn't better than a year of nothing.

Comment

Samuel Sosa

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2020
Everyone just a hunch. Apple is extending because of the new Apple one subscriptions coming. According for the pricing AppleTV+ will be bundled with other services so to avoid confusion and multiple billing issues they are extending it. Until everyone moves over to Apple one. Again this is just my guess.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Comment

MiniApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2020
I canceled my free trial after being reminded by a MacRumors article.
Strangely I still got the email that my trial was extended.
Only couple of episodes ‚For all mankind‘ per year isn’t enough to make me subscribe.

Reactions: JagRunner
Comment

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
Still nothing of any real appeal for a monthly sub, I'm afraid. While Netflix is pumping out Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, The Witcher, Away etc. Apple+ seems to be just full of worthy adult-themed drama (with a few minor exceptions). Apple just needs to buy Netflix. It has the cash to settle its vast $14 billion debt and the deal would make Apple+ incredibly appealing in one fell swoop. Netflix appears to becoming cashflow positive so the price will only go up...

Comment

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
Unless you cancelled as soon as you signed up because you don’t like reoccurring bills.... for some reason Apple end what you’re entitled to instantly. This is unlike everyone else that says it will not be auto renewed at the end of the period.

Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Unless you cancelled as soon as you signed up because you don’t like reoccurring bills.... for some reason Apple end what you’re entitled to instantly. This is unlike everyone else that says it will not be auto renewed at the end of the period.
While it's not necessarily standard practice per se, and it certainly would be nice if Apple didn't do it that way, when it comes to a free trial you aren't really entitled to anything in particular beyond what is part of the trial, and in Apple's case part of what's in their trial is that canceling takes effect immediately.

Comment

chrisone

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
They do. I've found it when I canceled my Apple TV+ trial. I presumed the actual cancelation will take place at the end of the 12 month period, but it was canceled right away.

Indeed, unlike every other free trial period offered in the normal App Store you get cancelled right away. Seems inconsistent, and I struggle to understand why they have a different approach here than what they require from everyone else.

Comment

dmr2112

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
I’m guessing that February is around when some of these series Season 2‘s will be arriving or announced. At least a couple are filming now. It’s tough because there are several really good shows they’ve released maybe around 4 that were interesting and watchable. But there are just as many if not more meh ones. The lack of good content is really the sore spot here, they’re pushing out tons of new shows and movies but it’s a lot of average stuff right now. They almost need to pick up some older popular series to help push the service. Really I don’t see a ton of people subscribing beyond Apple One users. Maybe some people getting it for a single month or two when a new season releases but then just cancelling again. Most won‘t reinvest that much into a series though if they do cancel ever.

Comment

vmistery

Contributor
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I imagine they’ve done this as there is not as much content as they anticipated there would be by this point. At the moment I wouldn’t continue my subscription if it wasn’t in a free trial period. Next year I anticipate that changing though although by that point I will be on Apple one and get it included anyway

Comment

cbaca51

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Cali
Got the email about 2 hours ago! Extend to February! A lot of great shows so I’m happy they extended it

Comment

adrianlondon

macrumors 68030
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
My free trial runs out end of January, as I didn't activate it until the three month deadline was about to expire. So far, I've watched Central Park (loved it) and Tehran (loving it).

Everything else I've tried to watch has either been too soppy, too slow, or just somehow too "American" for me. That's understandable, considering where Apple is and where they're focussed; don't blame them for that at all. I recently tried "Tiny World" or whatever it's called, but it seems to be for a young audience.

People on this forum kept recommending Ted Lasso as I'm a Brit, but in reality it's probably amusing for Americans wanting to gently laugh at British stereotypes rather than the other way around. Defending Jacob (recommended after I said I was enjoying Tehran) appeared to be a too-long series of cliches. The thought that they dragged this out to 8 episodes .... I only watched two episodes though; as winter draws in I'll probably give it another go.

Comment

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
While it's not necessarily standard practice per se, and it certainly would be nice if Apple didn't do it that way, when it comes to a free trial you aren't really entitled to anything in particular beyond what is part of the trial, and in Apple's case part of what's in their trial is that canceling takes effect immediately.

Well you are cause you paid for it when you bought a new device and it was advertised with it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.