apple sent me an extra 17 mbp. What should i do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoeconner, Apr 28, 2009.

1. zoeconner macrumors regular

They sent me an another one by mistake:) I dont want anyone from apple to get fired. Should I call them? I wonder if I could get a reward.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

What you should do is simple – you should return it.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Call em up, send it back.

When you tell the story later it will always be better to say you sent it back than kept it. Plus they'll probably figure it out sooner or later.

4. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Apple once sent me two logic boards for my iMac G5. I phoned them up and told them, they said I could keep it. If it was me I would phone them up, they may give you something they probably won't but it is the right thing to do.

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Technically I believe this may not be true, at least in some countries. In fact failure to tell them may well be theft...

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe you are legally allowed to keep any mailed, unsolicited goods not intended for another person. Obviously, you should check on that.

However, what might happen is they'll just charge your credit card for the second computer.

9. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

10. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

That's correct (at least in the UK), but you have to give the "seller" the opportunity to retrieve his goods. For example, by writing to the company and stating you have received the unwanted goods and asking them to be picked up with 10 days. If the company doesn't, AFAIK you have the right to keep them.

11. kid rock macrumors regular

i would keep it, (but never register it as they may have a list of ones that arent accounted for, if you see what i mean)

12. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

send it to me and I'll sneak it back into apple so no one gets fired... I swear

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Apple called and they said to ship it to my house so I can return it for you...

14. zoeconner thread starter macrumors regular

Just called them. Good news is that they have no trace of it. He said hell call me tomorrow. He said Merry x-mas there might be a good chance I can just keep it. That would be awesome!! I feel better now.

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that would be pretty awesome if you got to keep it. they better give you something!!

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Good. I'm glad you did the right thing.

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

See and now you might get to keep it... good conscience, free laptop... double bonus!

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

See.... Karma works! You must have been a very good person in a past life. :D

19. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

you lucky......

Fingers crossed matey, you might get to keep it!

20. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I would suggest doing SOMETHING in the realm of getting it back to them. Don't pay for it (in terms of shipping it back yourself) as it is someone else's mistake, but that doesn't mean it's your to profit from. I would not be surprised at all if they realize their mistake in a months time and Apple or the carrier (fedex, whatever) call to retreive the package. Once they do realize, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up charging your credit card as well.

If you signed for it, then they have proof that you have it. Maybe not Apple, but the carrier for sure. While they may not realize it now, chances are they will. If that situation happens, and you don't have it anymore (or try to keep it), they will expect proof (like a shipping reciept or whatever).

If they were both intended for you, then the above should apply. If the package was intended for someone else and has another's name on it, then in the U.S.:

21. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

flebay springs into mind [/joke].

Glad you done the right thing.

22. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

There is some kind of right here in the UK, that if a company sends you a product by a mistake, and they don't collect it for 6 months, you're free to keep it. It was in the Daily Mail a while back. If I were you, I'd check to make sure you haven't been charged twice, and just phone them up making sure.

23. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Or you can sell it to the up and coming filmmaker who desperately needs a Macbook Pro before college *points to self*.:D

24. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

25. theking79 macrumors 6502

keep in contact with them , why risk it, if you get to keep it it's a bonus, you wernt expecting 2 MBP's.