Apple Sets 'Aggressive' 2022 Deadline to Bring Custom 5G Modems to iPhones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly set an aggressive 2022 deadline to develop in-house 5G modems as part of a system-on-a-chip (SoC) design to be used in future iPhones and iPads, claims a new report today.

According to Fast Company, Apple plans to have completed all the development, testing, and certification necessary by the new deadline to be able to include the modems in new iPhones the same year.

However, given the arduous testing and certification process required after the chip design and fabrication is complete, a two-years deadline for the modem is "really pushing it," according to the report's source, who is said to have knowledge of Apple's plans.

The main stumbling block is said to be the network optimization testing that's necessary to make sure the modem doesn't conflict with the wireless networks of other carriers. In addition, tests are needed to ensure compliance with global standards, not to mention the ability of the modem to satisfy FCC requirements.

Given those hurdles, Fast Company's source believes 2023 may be a more realistic completion date for Apple's SoC modem.

Apple agreed to acquire the majority of Intel's smartphone modem business in June, with a view to accelerating the development of its own 5G modem. A previous source claimed the iPhone maker wants to have an in-house chip ready for use in some of its products by 2021, while earlier sources reported timeframes of between 2022 and 2025.

Whatever the timeline is and regardless of whether Apple is able to stick to it, the company's transition to custom 5G modems will likely happen in phases, starting with lower-end and older models of devices. Apple has a multiyear chipset supply agreement with Qualcomm, and a six-year patent license agreement, so it doesn't exactly have to rush the process.

In the meantime, Apple is expected to use Qualcomm's chips for the first 5G-enabled iPhones in 2020.

Article Link: Apple Sets 'Aggressive' 2022 Deadline to Bring Custom 5G Modems to iPhones

Last edited:

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Tbh 3G was fast enough for me. What I’d like to see is Apple working toward lower prices. Their Pro iPhone doesn’t even have a USBc port and still retails for €1,179 in my country for the 64 GB version. I shudder to think what an Apple car might cost. And parts?
I don't get all the moaning about not having 5G - I see it on many forums for all brands. I'd be delighted if I ever managed to get 4G reliably.

I suggest that most manufacturers phone specs are plenty for the majority of users now. Improving the price and workflow integration (and always, camera quality) are all I am looking for now really.

Macbook Pro's on the other hand... (yeah, I went there).

jjudson

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I don't know if these health concerns about 5G are true, or just weird hyperventalation, but a 2022 date for it at least gives some time for the technology to be sorted out and vetted before it shows up next to our ears.

Reactions: tomaszk

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
I set an aggressive timeline as well not to upgrade again til 2022. Hopefully my timeline and apples timeline don’t converge or we could see some serious sh*t.

EchoplexSE

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Somewhere in a sea of Blue
I haven’t heard whether the new 11 pro has better reception then the XS but maybe I’ll hold out for 2020 simply because of the Qualcomm chip. Honestly couldn’t care less about 5g, I just want it to work when I’m indoors and in a congested area.

Reactions: decypher44

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
Have to wait and see how things roll out with Qual's updated 5G chips next year. 5G on the handset is a different animal from the 4G update (from 3G) with 3 vastly different frequency bands requiring different antenna's between the bands for good performance. I would not be surprised if Qual's 2nd generation 5G integrated chips next year are still energy hogs (not as bad as this year but noticeably worse than our 4G chips we have now).

By 2022, I think that’s a little too late. By 2022 others would have started working on 6G! Apple’s falling behind. Sad.
You probably need to read the article more carefully. Apple will be getting Qualcomm's 5G next year in their phones. 2022 is for their own 5G chips (the ones they bought from Intel).

Last edited:
Reactions: GuruZac

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Apple to this day uses Intel modems... If they were "aggressive" about anything with those chips, we wouldn't have Intel modems in our phones.
They didn’t design those chips, they are designing these new chips. Same thing as their CPUs and GPUs where they design them in house.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Even in 2022 the 5g coverage will most likely be still so spares who cares. I honestly believe that 5g wont become relevant for another half a decade.
Agree. And when it does become widely available it will likely be with an uncharge over regular 4G service.

insoft.uk

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2018
Apple is on borrowed time, they know this and are adding custom chips in MacBook to take over tasks that the x64 would handle to control what hardware macOS can be installed on as more and more pro Mac users jump ship to running macOS on none Apple hardware as Apple products are cheaply built prone to failure and are heavily overpriced.

they now macOS iOS is the only reason they buy MacBooks but if developers could easily use other brands and still develop for iOS it would happen and slowly move to Android and once again become a 1-3% market share platform and this time no way to recover

Another area that Apple has lost ground is how easy it is to repair products Microsoft just shows how you can make a great looking device and still be easy access for repair Apple dose not want this because if you seen how badly they are designed 😱 you will panic

who in there right mind puts a high power voltage rail next to a data line , a beginner making a classic mistake in there first PCB layout

Last edited:

FlyingDutch

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Tbh 3G was fast enough for me. What I’d like to see is Apple working toward lower prices. Their Pro iPhone doesn’t even have a USBc port and still retails for €1,179 in my country for the 64 GB version. I shudder to think what an Apple car might cost. And parts?
Who exactly cares about USB C port on iPhone ? I can’t see any advantage in leaving lightning now.
- - Post merged: - -

5G is sooooooo pointless,
As of today, for sure. In three years I don’t know.

MagicKnights

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Apple is on borrowed time, they know this and are adding custom chips in MacBook to take over tasks that the x64 would handle to control what hardware macOS can be installed on as more and more pro Mac users jump ship to running macOS on none Apple hardware as Apple products are cheaply built prone to failure and are heavily overpriced.

they now macOS iOS is the only reason they buy MacBooks but if developers could easily use other brands and still develop for iOS it would happen and slowly move to Android and once again become a 1-3% market share platform and this time no way to recover

Another area that Apple has lost ground is how easy it is to repair products Microsoft just shows how you can make a great looking device and still be easy access for repair Apple dose not want this because if you seen how badly they are designed 😱 you will panic
You couldn’t be more wrong but guess that’s why Apple is a multi billion dollar company and you are a macrumors “expert” lol

JohnApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2014
Who exactly cares about USB C port on iPhone ? I can’t see any advantage in leaving lightning now.
- - Post merged: - -

As of today, for sure. In three years I don’t know.
Well, Pros would- which is what the iPhone 11 Pro is supposedly marketed towards. Especially since the 11 Pro’s big feature was its professional camera system.

Having USB-C would allow one to connect their iPhone to universal accessories without the need for an adapter. Just like the iPad Pro.

Sure, you can argue that USB-C on a phone has less uses than on a tablet or computer. But why market it as a “Pro” device then? As it stands, the iPhone is the only “Pro” device not using USB-C.