Apple Shares First Series of HomePod Ads With Focus on Music

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared its first series of HomePod ads on its official YouTube channel, titled Bass, Beat, Distortion, and Equalizer.

[​IMG]

The four 15-second clips show the word HomePod animated in various ways, with the actual speaker only appearing in brief flashes. Apple also highlights that the speaker is now available to order ahead of its February 9th launch across the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia.

The music-focused ads are each set to their own song, including Ain't I by Lizzo, DNA by Kendrick Lamar, Holy Water by Hembree, and All Night by Big Boi. Apple continues to position the HomePod as a "breakthrough speaker" first and "intelligent home assistant" second in the description of each video.

The ads follow Apple's teaser video titled Introducing HomePod shared back in June, after the speaker was previewed at WWDC 2017. It's very possible they'll air at commercial breaks during the 60th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday.

Apple has primarily positioned the HomePod as a speaker that can stream Apple Music, but with built-in Siri, users can also send messages, set timers, play podcasts, check the news, control HomeKit-enabled smart home accessories, and complete several other tasks without needing to take out their iPhone.

The speaker is equipped with spatial awareness and Apple-engineered audio technology, including a seven-tweeter array and high-excursion woofer. It stands nearly seven inches tall and is powered by Apple's A8 chip.

Article Link: Apple Shares First Series of HomePod Ads With Focus on Music

2. miniyou64 macrumors 6502

miniyou64

3. TxExCxH macrumors regular

TxExCxH

4. gugy macrumors 68030

gugy

These are cool! Love the type animation treatment.

5. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

This really has to be one of their weirdest launches ever. Your average Joe doesn't even know this exists, tech experts aren't fully aware what it's fully capable of... And man these ads don't help that.

6. ke-iron macrumors 65816

7. ipedro, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

These ads just emphasize the poor choice of name. Should have been POD.

The iPod is dead and it would've been nice to see the name persist. HomePod doesn't go well together and Home itself is far too specific for a device that'll be used in offices, retail, etc.

POD would have fit with Apple's newest products: MUSIC, TV, WATCH. HomePod seems like an outlier.

8. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

These are alright. Maybe enough to make you curious about the product without setting any expectations. Which is good since it's best not to expect much from HomePod.

9. plucky duck macrumors 6502a

What in the hell, these ads are hideous, very unconventional, looks very low budget.

10. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

Still not even sold out or delivery date changed this isnt gonna do well and wish they woukd stop using trap artists

11. yourmn macrumors regular

yourmn

They're alright actually. Seen much worse from Apple recently

12. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

This settles it...
    It’s a music player that also does Siri. Nothing wrong with that, I just wasn’t sure which direction they were trying to go.

13. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

So not good enough, right? Product doomed?

14. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

THis is a hard product to advertise. Given that, they are done well but I am not sure if these work to get the interest of customers.

15. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

The ads help the average Joe know it exists. It’s new...we will know what it’s fully capable of when some reviews come out. They aren’t going to do demonstrations for commercials.

16. wigby macrumors 68000

I agree but I also think the public assumes that 'Pod' denotes portability. Also the 'Home' part helps sell Homekit functionality which needs all the help it can get at this point.

The best was the EQ ad. It went well with the music choice, was playful and truly stood out from the others. All the others were something I would expect more from other competing brands.

17. 62tele macrumors 6502a

There is nothing in those ads that piques my interest in the HomePod. I must not be the intended demographic musically.
    There is certainly nothing that lets one know that this is an Alexa or Google Home alternative.

This will be one of the few Apple products in which I will not be an early adopter.

Still waiting to Apple to wow me something innovative. Apple seems more like a great rock band that, after 20 years of hit album after hit album, have "hit the wall" and can't craft amazing tunes (products) any longer.

18. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Good thing this Joe works at MacRumors and knows it exists :D

19. ke-iron macrumors 65816

Apple Pod is the worst name ever. HomePod is much better suited for what it is.

20. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

I am very excited about this product. I hope they eventually come up with a HomePod Pro!

21. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I never thought I'd say this, but they need Jeff Goldblum back.

22. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Strongly disagree, these products fall under a new category that are the successors of the iPod legacy. Therefore AirPods & HomePods hold this to clearly differentiate themselves from the main line-up.

23. Baymowe335 macrumors 68030

Ever take marketing? They will have subsequent ads to talk about different features. Ads are supposed to have a single, powerful message. We know it’s a great speaker. Next, they’ll teach us it’s a great assistant.

24. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

I don't particularly like the style of these ads, but I will say, they remind me a lot of the old iTunes visualizers, and I'm sure people will obviously realize it's a speaker from Apple, with Siri.

25. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The Ad team couldn’t come up with something a little more creative?