Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Apple is funding all of the shows and some of the movies. Other movies they’re simply buying the distribution rights to. So yes, for the most part Apple is making most of it.
That's now how production works. These shows have several production companies behind them that Apple funds and then distributes. Apple itself is not making these shows like the OP suggested.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
Not gonna lie I have 1 year of Apple TV plus but I don’t wanna watch anything it has, for me they are all such boring shows
No joke the elephant queen is the best show (great documentary) they have lol and snoopy wasn’t bad. says a lot huh lol..

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Not gonna lie I have 1 year of Apple TV plus but I don’t wanna watch anything it has, for me they are all such boring shows
Thanks for sharing. Does your post have a point since you haven’t watched anything?
[automerge]1573074715[/automerge]
No joke the elephant queen is the best show (great documentary) they have lol and snoopy wasn’t bad. says a lot huh lol..
I really liked Elephant Queen.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
That's now how production works. These shows have several production companies behind them that Apple funds and then distributes. Apple itself is not making these shows like the OP suggested.
I think you might have mis-read OP’s quote. Or maybe just read a lot into it that wasn’t there.

Which part of:

This looks pretty creepy, and I am encouraged that many of these early series are not holding punches. Gritty, violent, not what I expected from Apple, and I like it.

caused you to respond (incorrectly) with the snarky reply “You do realize Apple isn't making these shows right? They're just distributing them.”

Your reply was basically a non-sequitir. OP’s surprise may have been caused by early (wrong) rumors that Apple was only going to be making G-rated content.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
How do you know they are boring if you haven't watched them? (Just asking)

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Thanks for sharing. Does your post have a point since you haven’t watched anything?
[automerge]1573074715[/automerge]

I really liked Elephant Queen.
Ditto. The documentary is a roller coaster of emotions for the audience.

May the newborn and family members Rest In Peace.
*sorry for the spoiler*

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
It looks like an interesting premise but Shyamalan has made one good movie since Signs and that was Split. Oh and I’m aware Signs has a plot hole you can drive a truck through. Would Aliens advanced enough to figure out intergalactic travel, with a physical aversion to water, really land on a planet whose surface and atmosphere are full of it? There are at least two scenarios, far fetched as they may be, where the answer could be yes. If Earth was the first planet they explored with such an overwhelming amount of water then it could be the story of the first of their kind to find out the hard way that water in that amount can kill them. Second, maybe they knew they had a physical aversion to water but didn’t have a choice but to try to make a go of it here because for whatever reason they couldn’t go back to where they came from and couldn’t travel to the next potentially habitable planet.

The rest of his films are either bad, have a twist ending you can see from a mile away or have a twist ending that’s so implausible it’s laughable. I’ll give him this though, when he hits on a film they are awesome. If The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs or Split is on TV or available through a streaming service I subscribe to I’m watching it.

Also for those who have seen it, is Glass really that bad? I love Unbreakable and the ending to Split made me smile so much that when I heard Glass sucked I couldn’t bring myself to watch it and soil the first two films in the series.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
This looks... intriguing. You know why? Because it’s the first trailer I’ve seen of any Apple TV+ show so far that doesn’t have an over-the-top, social justice agenda driving it. It just looks like a show. With the theme and message to be revealed as it unfolds. The way, you know, all decent commercial art should be.

If you wanna tell people a message, write an essay. Don’t blow $100 million on a TV show.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am surprised by the amount of negative comments. That was a really good trailer, bone chilling. Of all of the Apple shows, this seems like the most promising of the initial launch.

Reactions: matrix07

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
It’s a tough sell for services like this, simply because they have no other content. I imagine there will be folks who sign up, binge the good stuff, and cancel once the binge has ended. Next year when the new seasons are released, rinse and repeat. I find myself doing it with YouTube to watch Cobra Kai.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It’s a tough sell for services like this, simply because they have no other content. I imagine there will be folks who sign up, binge the good stuff, and cancel once the binge has ended. Next year when the new seasons are released, rinse and repeat. I find myself doing it with YouTube to watch Cobra Kai.
That’s why they’re releasing new episodes every week. True, they don’t have a lot content, but it’s $4.99, not $11.99. If you’re watching a couple series and enjoying them, is there not $5 worth of value there? $1.25 a week? If not, cancel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But that issue resolves itself over time. Two years from now there’s going to be dozens of series with complete seasons in the can, dozens of movies, more content being released all the time. A $50 charge once a year? I think it’s going to do pretty well.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I'm glad you pointed that out. As soon as I saw his name...I thought, NOPE! He's wasted enough of my time.
I might actually watch this, now.
Most of his films have been clones of The Sixth Sense and The Village. I hope his formula doesn't ruin it.

AnotherOpinion

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
This looks really good! I think the trailer had a bit too much in it… now we know the baby is a doll… would have been nice to have this a surprise for the first or second episode. But I am still very intrigued and want to watch this! It will be wondeful for Apple TV + to be a huge sucess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.