Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpman5678

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
So what price point are we looking at for LG OLEDs? For the E9 I'm guessing $3,500 for 55" and $4,500 for the 65"

tjtennispro

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
Yep the apps always work great year one in Smart TVs but year 2 gets rough and by year 3 I won’t even try.

Apple with AirPlay 2, HomeKit and iTunes support is following their CarPlay model. I’ve had CarPlay for 3.5 years and it gets better daily while the built in navigation system is trash.

This is a smart move because CarPlay is amazing which IMO this is CarPlay for the TV.

I literally just bought an LG UHD set in late November.

As others have suggested - I could plug in an Apple TV, but that's just another thing to buy. The TV already has Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and a few other common apps built-in. It is so nice to just plug in the TV with the only wire being the power cord.

Reactions: scottlitch

MattNMiami

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
NU8000 = 8 series? I’m confused.

NU is the product year 2018. Each year the model number advances by one. E.g. - 2017 was M*. The first number is the series.
[doublepost=1546967283][/doublepost]This is great for future tv purchases but for the love of god, why can't I talk to Siri to control my Apple TV???

Reactions: scottlitch

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
You know there’s this gadget called Apple TV that will outperform any of these TVs with built-in support. Have you ever tried to use the built-in apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc? Can you say sloooooowwwww? No need to shed a tear.
Have you actually tried those apps on a modern tv? I have a year old tv that runs Netflix instantly, no different than Apple TV.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Shedding a collective tear for all those folks (myself included) that purchased a non-supported TV within the last few years.
Or maybe even this year. I bought a new-model Samsung in early 2017, expecting it to, at least eventually, have a native DirecTV Now app, which was touted at its release (in December, 2016). It's finally coming now, but not for my TV.

Back to topic I bought a $30 dongle that allows me to Airplay to my TV. And then there is the Apple TV. :)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
This is great for business presentations. You just need a TV and iPhone and that's it!

Reactions: JGRE

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Have you actually tried those apps on a modern tv? I have a year old tv that runs Netflix instantly, no different than Apple TV.

Good point. The tvOS YouTube app on Apple TV is now the exact same on tvOS as it is on Samsung TVs. It shouldn't be, due to conflicting UI behavior with tvOS... but there it is.

Reactions: rjp1

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
No one would buy an AppleTV just to use airplay either. I mean honestly, how often does this situation of needing to toss a video to the TV really come up?

I assume you don't have kids. Especially teenager kids. Air-playing their favorite Youtube videos is a VERY common thing for them to do. (at least for my kids)

I'm very excited that my Samsung TV will get this. But it will also mean that I probably won't be upgrading my Apple TV to the 4k version. (which I had planned to do soon)

Reactions: rjp1

brianrmurray

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Hopefully Vizio expands this to also include the 2016 P-Series as they are the exact same hardware as the 2017 models, they just changed the remote they included. I don't care so much about the Airplay 2 but I would love the Homekit to be able to switch inputs and power with Siri.

I think it will include the 2016 Vizio P Series. Like you said it's the exact same SmartCast software. I signed up for the beta, hopefully it's installed via USB so I can try it on my 2016 P series as well.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Very disappointed to see Philips TVs missing from this list. I was ready to buy Philips Ambilight ~65" 4K TV as soon as 2019 models arrived. Compared to 2018 models I was hoping for HDMI 2.1 and high frame rate support, but now I also really want that AirPlay2 and HomeKit... :/

scottlitch

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
My 2017 SONY XBR-A1E is Alexa voice control enabled. I really wish they would bring HomeKit via a software update to this older model. If Vizio can update 2017 models, why can't Sony? Didn't Sony buy Vizio?

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Want a medal or something?
Actually a medal would be nice. I would look at it as a proof that I didn’t waste my life on mostly pointless “content” consumption. As a positive side effect I don’t have to whine that Apple products are too expensive.

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
I have a Vizio M-Series 2018. I've never heard anyone refer to it is a "TV" before, lol. Maybe the rest are TVs, but my Vizio certainly isn't. It's more of a display. No tuner, no cable TV input. Very clever concept.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
This is a HUGE deal! I love this! iTunes integrated into Samsung's TV lineup is an awesome collaboration. It's great to see Apple moving back to pro-consumer strategies again! I hope they've learned that their anti-consumer nonsense over the last few years has only been negative for their company. Let's see USB-C on the iPhone next!

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
Modern TV's like LG and Samsung run apps well, as good as ATV (or better I would argue).

What I don't get is how Apple will benefit from having its original programming playing on Samsung and LG TV's.

I also hope Apple calls their streaming platform something else -- iTunes sounds like a music service.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I guess the architecture of the Vizio smart TVs is different - their 2017 models on are compatible already. Wonder what the difference is?

The Vizio models currently do Chromecast which in some apps will let you send video to the TV (such as YouTube or Facebook). Airplay-2 is for mirroring your screen, sending video, and sending audio, with much less latency, and allows support for multi-room audio, meaning that if you had multiple TVs, you could send audio from your phone to all at the same time.

Reactions: KPandian1

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Why? Apple TV is still the best way to experience and consume your content on the biggest screen in your home.

I have a 4K ATV attached to a 2017 Vizio M-series.

The HomeKit support will still be handy for including "TV on" and "TV off" in HomeKit scenes. I could, for instance, add my TV to a scene I have that triggers "when the last person leaves home" so we don't have to worry that we forgot to turn it off if we left home suddenly. Or the scene I have that dims the lights for TV watching can also include "TV on" and "Apple TV on".

Right now, it's set to go to sleep after a set time with no signal, so this'll just be an extra layer of 'being sure'.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Sweet my 2017 Vizio TV is on the list. Already have a ATV 4k plugged in, but this is still cool to see. I will probably continue to use cast over airplay though.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
I have an E Series that I bought in 2017. They updated it with HDR a couple months after I bought it and now airplay 2 is coming. I've been very impressed with the continued support from Vizio. they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum but still support their stuff well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.