Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
I think I have figured out how it works:

upl_1517655678_66994.jpg 2fg4dr.jpg

DrJR

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2017
How many of you have turned off that so-called “clean energy charging” feature and why? 🫣
I stuck me on a plane at 80% thinking I had a full charge. It is a design flaw to have this automatically on like the auto engine-shut-off on my Jeep. I have shut that off each time I start it. Sick of environmentalist garbage that encumbers normal people while the elite fly in private jets. You realize none of this has anything to do with the environment I hope.

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
Does this imply there are grid setups that only leverage fossil fuels during peak usage hours?

SolarSailer120

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
The greenwashing / eco virtue signaling from Apple is laughable. They don't care about the planet as long as all of us replace our old devices, oftentimes leading to e-waste. The amount of energy that this charging method saves has got to be negligible, it's only a placebo so that you can feel good playing AT being "green" while enjoying your fancy device. I recognize that it's available on all 16.1 devices but still

We no longer include a charger or headphones with your 1K phone bc GREEN, but if you need them, we do sell those separately in other boxes with more packaging and for separate fees. Let's make a whole new dongle required to charge the Apple Pencil 1 with the new iPad, like what. I love my 14 Pro Max and all my other Apple stuff, but any kind of material production hurts the earth. If you buy something made in a factory by a mass-produced company, no self-back-patting actions like removing a charger or implementing GREEN charging will undo the harm

MyOwnDrummer

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2022
Some people need to dig out an old National Geographic and read “The Year The Weather Went Wild” and read it and ponder on what all was said in that article.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Think of all of that offset carbon though by way of Apple's own users! ;-)

This one's a great watch btw.

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018

iOS 16.1 includes a Clean Energy Charging option that is designed to allow iPhone users to cut down on their carbon footprint. Clean Energy Charging selectively charges when lower carbon emission electricity is available for those who want a greener charging method.

clean-energy-charging-ios-16-1.jpg

Apple today published a support document on Clean Energy Charging, providing more specific details on how it works, how to disable it when necessary, and which settings need to be active to get it to work.

Clean Energy Charging is limited to the United States, and it requires Location Services, System Customization, and Significant Locations to all be enabled in the System Services section of the Settings app in order to function.

It is on by default, and those who want to turn it off will need to do so by going to Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging.

When enabled, Clean Energy Charging allows the iPhone to get a forecast of carbon emissions in the nearby energy grid, using that to charge the iPhone during times of cleaner energy production.

Apple says that Clean Energy Charging works with Optimized Battery Charging to learn a user's habits, engaging only when the iPhone is charged for long periods of time, such as at home or work. It does not engage if charging habits are variable or when the user is in a new location, such as when traveling.

When Clean Energy Charging turns charging off, a notification on the Lock Screen provides details when the iPhone will be fully charged, similar to Optimized Battery Charging. Touching and holding on the notification brings up a "Charge Now" option to set the iPhone to charge the iPhone to full.

Article Link: Apple Shares More Details on iOS 16.1 Clean Energy Charging Feature
The irony of this to me is they boost MagSafe charging on the phone that consumes 30% more electricity than a cable. If you want to clean charge your phone, use a cable!?

I don’t know anymore. Seems like it doesn’t benefit much. And with you asking all your questions, now has me paranoid. 😜
Bruhhhhh, I'm just going to leave it on for now. This feature alone gave me too much headache today and now my head hurts. Drained my energy :rolleyes:

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
What happens if you are a pilot and charge your iPhone using airplane electricity? Does this charging thing still matter for the environment?
The energy being used by the jet engine makes the drain from the phone trivial. I doubt it could be measured. (I don't think the pilots are allowed to plug in their phones in the cockpit. They could probably hand it off to a flight attendant and have them charge it at their station.)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If anyone has tallied how much electricity it takes to charge an iPhone each day - they’d realize this feature for a single user is rediculous. Charging an iPhone uses only a teensy weensy miniscule amount of power.

I guess though when 1 billion iPhones use it, it adds up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.