Apple Shares New 'Sticker Fight' Video Promoting iMessage Stickers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new advertisement on its YouTube channel, this time designed to promote both the iPhone 7 and the iMessages sticker feature that was introduced in iOS 10.

The video features people running around putting a variety of bright, animated stickers on objects, food, other people, and more, mimicking the kind of stickers that are available on iOS.

"Say it with stickers on the iPhone 7," reads the tagline at the end of the video. The video's description also includes a link where all of the stickers used in the ad spot can be downloaded. A huge number of sticker packs are featured, including those from indie artists and those from major companies like Disney.

Introduced in iOS 10, sticker packs are part of the Messages App Store, which lets developers create apps that can be used in iMessages. Stickers can be resized, put on top of chat bubbles, added on photos, or stuck on top of other stickers, with simple controls for dragging.

While Apple has promoted other Messages features available in iOS 10, this is its first ad spot that focuses primarily on stickers, which still don't seem to have caught on with iPhone users.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Sticker Fight' Video Promoting iMessage Stickers

2. Appleaker macrumors 65816

Anything better than an iPad ad at this point :D

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 6502a

thisisnotmyname

Since I know the comments are coming, I like stickers and ALSO want a new Mac Pro. It is possible to like both.

4. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

5. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Hey, let's all pretend we are Snapchat and clutter our messengers with BS

6. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Stickers are actually the only thing that I don't use from iOS10's iMessage updates. Same with my contacts. Digital touch, handwriting, games, gif search, reactions, text effects- all used. For some reason none of us can be bothered to download any stickers.

7. shaunp macrumors 65816

I'd be more impressed if they actually made decent computers these days.... Or am I alone in thinking this?

8. Since1987 macrumors regular

Spoiler Alert: You are only going to get ONE of these things.

9. Xavier macrumors 68020

10. ThaRuler macrumors regular

ThaRuler

For those of you that complain about Apple not innovating anymore and asking where all their R&D cash is going to, now what can you say?

11. Aussi3 macrumors regular

Aussi3

12. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

OMG when emojis just don't suffice to express your feelings.:rolleyes:

13. Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

They should have advertised the gif feature instead. I'd assume that that's more widely used than stickers.

14. citysnaps macrumors 68010

I would say anybody who believes that any more than a very very tiny fraction of 1% of Apple's $10+ Billion R&D budget going to stickers is not very intelligent.

15. hagar, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

hagar macrumors 6502

Don't care for stickers. But even if I did, it's way too cumbersome to install a dedicated sticker app from the confusing Message App Store and then locate and launch that app in Messages.

16. smacrumon Suspended

smacrumon

Problem Apple has is that animated stickers crash even on iPhone 7. For some reason iMessage doesn't manage stickers very well. Even on iPhone 7 scroll through a list of animated stickers and they will crash eventually. This seems like a really simple one for Apple to solve and hopefully they do. When messages says it's "unable to load stickers", imessage abruptly goes blank black screen or storage available in settings suddenly plummets to "zero" from greater than 1gb, then something is terribly wrong with ios because stickers are tiny resources <500kb.

Side note, the ad is cute but I don't like how people are smacking each other hard on the face, not cool. Gentle people.

17. redheeler macrumors 601

redheeler

I've given up expecting a new Mac Pro, but at least I can still expect a new Mac Pro sticker.

18. triton100 macrumors regular

Yes but to warrant a whole ad being made out of just stickers ? Am I the only one who thinks this is completely nonsensical ?

19. AppleMad98004 macrumors regular

An ad, which means spending money on this, for Stickers..... Really Apple, Stickers? WTH???

20. citysnaps macrumors 68010

Not nonsensical at all. You are just not in the lucrative demographic that Apple is targeting.

21. triton100 macrumors regular

In london there was a trend where kids would go up to complete strangers on the street or in the mall and slap them hard in the face. Was called happy slapping I think. This reminds me of that. So not in a cool way

22. Royal Gala macrumors regular

Royal Gala

You can rest assured that Apple's done their homework.

23. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I feel sorry for those who don't understand the joy of putting Pusheen stickers all over a message.

24. triton100, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017

triton100 macrumors regular

Not a hundred miles away from it and I still find it nonsensical. And the demographic you're talking about generally can't afford an iPhone unless it is an older model second hand or they have wealthy parents.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Yes actually I guess you're probably right. They do have focus groups etc do they must know what they're doing, fair enough

25. Aussi3 macrumors regular

Aussi3

You should try my stickers! :p