Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a humorous new video on its YouTube channel that dramatizes many of the security features available when using Apple products at work.

Titled "Swiped," the spot opens with a design team that is shortly about to give a "game-changing" presentation to a client, only for the MacBook Air on which the presentation exists to be swiped by thieves in the street when the team leader turns her back.

The eight-minute video follows the team's attempt to retrieve the stolen Mac in time for the crucial presentation before the bumbling thieves can pawn it off.

The film showcases several Apple security features that aid the team and thwart the thieves, including Notify When Left Behind, Find My location tracking, Touch ID and Face ID, passwords and passkeys, Secure Enclave, end-to-end encryption, MDM Remote Lock and Remote Wipe, remote Erase This Device, and more.
The Underdogs are back in action. This time they're on a mission to save a missing Mac. Thankfully they've got Apple’s powerful security features on their side. Great news for them. Bad, bad news for the bumbling thieves.

This is Apple at Work.
The short comes after similar "Apple at Work" videos that Apple published in 2019 and 2020 featuring the same actors. Other highlighted products and features in the video include Apple Maps, Group FaceTime, Calendar, Messages, Apple Music, Apple CarPlay, Keynote, Apple Pay on Apple Watch, Do Not Disturb, Reminders, Workout Detection with Apple Watch, and more.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'The Underdogs' Video Focusing on Apple Security Features at Work

JonathanX64

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
I go with the flow
Lame propaganda.

Apple is giving its users a huge finger; they're basically saying «until required by legislation, we won't fix the issue of corporate laptops being impossible to re-use after disposal because admins forget to disable MDM / iCloud lock all the time».

Piles of e-waste because Tim wants to sell more laptops. What a disgrace of a company.

Don't fall for it!

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Lame propaganda.

Apple is giving its users a huge finger; they're basically saying «until required by legislation, we won't fix the issue of corporate laptops being impossible to re-use after disposal because admins forget to disable MDM / iCloud lock all the time».

Piles of e-waste because Tim wants to sell more laptops. What a disgrace of a company.

Don't fall for it!
Is this really Apples fault? Or the company’s IT team for not disabling MDM when recycling?

How can Apple identify that the Mac hasn’t been stolen?

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Good but surely presentation is on iCloud?

We are not allowed to use iCloud for storage of company data because the US is deemed „unsafe“ since the privacy shield between the EU and the US has been stopped 2 (?) years ago. At this point I am surprised we are even allowed to use Microsoft Windows or macOS with an internet connection, since they also „call home“. Seems a bit inconstant if you ask me

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Lame propaganda.

Don't fall for it!

Same thing happens at my company with Dells. They bios/efi lock them and it can't be cleared, even by resetting it on the board.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Interesting to me that Apple's ad is basically saying if your stuff is stolen you should go to where the criminals are and try to get it back yourself. You would think that would be a liability nightmare they wouldn't want to open themselves to.

EDIT:// I note people disagreeing with me. When in situations like this always go with the police folks, stay safe, don't be stupid.

Last edited:

paperless

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2009
Fairly entertaining ad that does a decent job showcasing some security features but I also think that the whole story hinging on her just wanting her data back kinda just glosses over the fact that iCloud and other solutions like that to prevent data loss exist.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
We are not allowed to use iCloud for storage of company data because the US is deemed „unsafe“ since the privacy shield between the EU and the US has been stopped 2 (?) years ago. At this point I am surprised we are even allowed to use Microsoft Windows or macOS with an internet connection, since they also „call home“. Seems a bit inconstant if you ask me

That's why they make external storage options. I have all my client presentations backed up via Time Machine at my office and on a PW protected flash drive, just in case. I also have an encrypted full backup in the cloud, using ARQ and not some cloud providers encryption.

What I don't get about the ad is how Apple says tracking devices aren't for tracking and confronting thieves and then runs this...

mjoakes

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Bloomington, Indiana, USA
A little funny. But also tedious and too long. The messaging is just wrong: chasing stolen goods, not using any reasonable backup system.

And she was sitting outside an urban office building on what looked like a usual sidewalk or so? Plus, to be realistic, they should have reduced the number of people on the streets of an urban center by about 90%. It's 2023, after all. (Or maybe they were making a point that the city was not San Francisco.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.