Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleUser2

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
We are not allowed to use iCloud for storage of company data because the US is deemed „unsafe“ since the privacy shield between the EU and the US has been stopped 2 (?) years ago. At this point I am surprised we are even allowed to use Microsoft Windows or macOS with an internet connection, since they also „call home“. Seems a bit inconstant if you ask me
Ah! Thanks - didn't know this.

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Is this really Apples fault? Or the company’s IT team for not disabling MDM when recycling?

How can Apple identify that the Mac hasn’t been stolen?
Our company removes from ABM when we dispose of it. In fact, its how we find things otherwise.

JonathanX64

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
I go with the flow
I have a conspiracy theory: when Apple gets public pushback for some evil & illegal capitalist ******tification stuff they pull (serialised parts, lack of sideloading, this e-waste problem), they try to combat it with PR. And this is exactly what's going on in this ad.

I'm probably the only one who thinks so, but still...

Last edited by a moderator:

Originalblez

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
Not necessarily. MacBooks can be tracked offline via LE Bluetooth but the location wont be updated in real time.
Yeah I wondered if it could function like the Air Tags but the video was definitely overselling its capabilities. If only MBPs had an eSIM option.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Holy smokes Bridget is cringe and an idiot. Why the hell is she in charge? Every Underdogs video she always acts bossy and always talks to her cats while her coworkers do all the work, and now she just leaves a Macbook Air in a crowded public space unattended. How dumb is she?

I swear to god some people should not be allowed access to computers if they can't practice basic common sense like DON'T LEAVE YOUR EXPENSIVE ELECTRONICS UNATTENDED IN A CROWDED PUBLIC SPACE!

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Holy smokes Bridget is cringe and an idiot. Why the hell is she in charge? Every Underdogs video she always acts bossy and always talks to her cats while her coworkers do all the work, and now she just leaves a Macbook Air in a crowded public space unattended. How dumb is she?

I swear to god some people should not be allowed access to computers if they can't practice basic common sense like DON'T LEAVE YOUR EXPENSIVE ELECTRONICS UNATTENDED IN A CROWDED PUBLIC SPACE!
You know it's not real, right? 😂

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Another apple fail.

notch.jpg

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Wow,..condoning speeding, leaving the scene of an accident & a crappy, easily guessed pin. 👍🍏
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Plus, it centralizes a blatant disregard of the usual municipal, police, public officials, safety advice which is to NOT chase or confront the criminals.

Add in the awful stereotype of the brassy, bossy Black woman (first pawnshop) and Apple has produced a major fail.

Did chuckle briefly, though, over the Ted Lasso clone at the 2nd pawnshop with his rhyming words of wisdom.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021

You know that represent the general human pop, you're smarter than most. I worked in IT and I have so many stories how many people are tech and security illiterate.

That's also just a short fun film. - it's all acting.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020

Your average Apple consumer actually... and likely your average Macrumors forum dweller too.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You know that represent the general human pop, you're smarter than most. I worked in IT and I have so many stories how many people are tech and security illiterate.

That's a failure in IT for not providing user compliance training. In our org we slam proper computer use into your head day one of what not to do, and top of the list is DON'T LEAVE YOUR COMPUTER UNATTENDED IN A CROWDED PUBLIC SPACE!

Hell we shouldn't even need to tell people this. This is common sense.

That's also just a short fun film. - it's all acting.

Which makes it even worse as this encourages more bad behavior saying "don't worry you can be as careless with your Mac filled with sensitive data as you want. Find My and MDM will keep it safe."

In a real setting, Bridget would've gotten a massive dressing down from IT for LEAVING HER COMPUTER UNATTENDED IN A CROWDED PUBLIC SPACE!. If you're wondering why I keep typing that in all caps it's to hammer down how absolutely stupid that is.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Didn't a guy get murdered recently because he went after his stolen laptop? Apple is giving us a strange message in this video.

The message seems to be that their security features are good against incompetent thieves. Competent or dangerous ones, not so much apparently.

Ouch yikes after having watched some of this short film it's too painful to watch anymore. Busts into the pawn shop "I need my Mac back, I'll pay anything. Anything." It's not worth anything it's a MacBook Air that's supposed to be locked and encrypted and unsellable and cloud backed up. Which I guess was the pawn shop owner's advice, just let it go and buy another one.

Strange ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.