Apple Shares New Videos Highlighting What You Can Do With an iPad Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2019.

1. PickUrPoison, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

The chart definitely doesn’t refer to iPad only, we know exactly how many iPads Apple sells. The fact is that since tablet computers burst onto the scene, there’s been a collapse in demand for traditional computers. If you don’t think there’s a relationship between those two events, that’s fine; you’re welcome to believe whatever you wish.

I know it’s upsetting to you, but it’s a fact that many people are using an iPad as their only computing device. It does everything they need it to do. Tablets aren’t appropriate for you, so buy a desktop or laptop or workstation or use cloud computing.

But there’s no reason for people to pretend that there aren’t millions of people that are using iPads as their sole computing device. Millions of others use them in combination with traditional computers.

2. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Denial is not just a river in Egypt...

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

For basic use cases. The end. Majority of those users need a device to take average photos, take some video, email, social media, and that's it. Some may use it for a mobile PoS machine, but at the end of the day is tablets replaced those use cases while not taking away anything critical.

I'm not upset. At the end of the day any tablet is a fancy toy. Anyone who thinks serious work can be done an iPad, Samsung note, etc. are a simpleton. The Microsoft Surface is a full fledged laptop at this point because Microsoft couldn't cut it at producing a mobile tablet.

Don't be a fool.

4. Donovan Dillon, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

Donovan Dillon macrumors regular

Do you guys even have an iPad or use one regularly — vs playing with someone else’s, demoing one at the Apple store or passing judgment from watching videos —?

iOS absolutely has a file system — one that (through iCloud) is integrated with my iPhone, Mac, and windows virtual machines running on my Mac. While some workflows are not as efficient on iOS as they are on a desktop OS (e.g. zip/archive file handling) I have yet to encountered a situation where I wanted to do something with a file and was precluded from doing so because of iOS or the iPad.

I use my iPad Pro for work and it is largely interchangeable with my Mac for most use cases. The exceptions include cases where Xcode is required, when working with large spreadsheets, or when there’s simply no comparable iOS app available. Cases where the iPad/iPad Pro shine are those where ideation, paying attention to what is going on around me or absorbing information is the focus — because (a) it allows me to adopt a posture that is better aligned with the activity (e.g., sitting back in a chair or in the middle of a field) and (b) the device simply requires less of my cognitive energy to take in information or capture ideas (e.g., using the Apple Pencil vs typing).

There is a huge disconnect between the reality of using the iPad Pro and the perception expressed in many of these comments. I think some of this is due to people wanting the iPad and iOS to work like a desktop device with a desktop OS (i.e., mouse support — seriously?!?!) vs accepting the iPad and learning how to use it and the features that were developed to make it a distinctly different class of device.

5. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Too late, you beat me to it.

Keep clinging to outdated notions while the world passes you by...it has taken 50 years for personal computers to get to where we are today, tablets are halfway there already and we have not even closed out the first decade of their existence.

Steve Jobs himself predicted all of this already (cars and trucks). You ignore it at your own peril.

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Apple will have a great fix for this!

2019 iPad: Now with reduced functionality and increased price, but thinner!

7. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

You seem to have a very limited view of what constitutes “serious work”.

I don’t know why it’s so important to you to think of an iPad as a “fancy toy”, but feel free to belittle Apple’s tablet computers as much as you wish. Those who use them for serious work will continue to do so, unaffected in the slightest by your uninformed statements. The fact that your world view doesn’t allow you to acknowledge their reality is not relevant to them.

8. szw-mapple fan, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019

szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Sure the surface has a way more complete feature set no doubt, but it's also why it sucks. It's a desktop UI forced into a tablet with hardly any optimizations. Almost every thing that I did on it felt clunky and unintuitive, and I soon abandoned touch in favor of their keyboard and trackpad, making it into a expensive and underpowered laptop with no hinge. That's not to mention the frequency of freezing and WiFi problms that lasted for months until they finally updated the software. Ended up selling it for an iPad. I liked what they were trying to do before with windows 8, but 10 is a huge step backward for tablet usability. The iPad lacks a lot of things especially for programming, but everything else in my workflow I've been able to do without problems, and on a much better interface.

9. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

...except cut and paste text. except no file system for hierarchical work flows. except no mouse for productivity
    apps like spreadsheets, video editing and text editing.

10. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

Before I had the Smart Cover, I used the Magic Keyboard 2 that came with my iMac, as the Smart Cover was out of stock with I picked up the iPad Pro.

I've used the iPad with Smart Keyboard and Magic Keyboard 2--I do use shortcuts--heavily.

The problem is text selection and insertion. Word for iOS is also missing some features of Word for Mac, but I think that is a different challenge.

Like I said, tolerable for minor use, at least for me.

11. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

This is prime example of the utopian ipad delusion: keyboards and mice will turn to dust, and the power
    of finger tapping will rule the millennium. But the qwerty keyboard is 150 years old, and the mouse is forty
    years old--and they aren't going anywhere.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2019 ---
    Yes...exactly!
    In my experience almost any coding requires the creation and storage of reference files. How does that work
    without a file system
    And what instruments will Logic load? No vst or au in ios

12. jchap macrumors member

jchap

I'd go bankrupt if I started trying to do my work on an iPad. Here's why.
    • I use my Mac for freelance translation, often using CPU-hungry CAT editors and QA process utilities that need to handle complex XML files and all kinds of file formats. There is no software on the iPad for this.
    • All of the extensive Japanese-to-English dictionaries I use via the ATOK input method editor on the Mac are totally useless on the iPad.
    • I work with Microsoft Excel spreadsheets that contain conditional formatting, many of which need to be displayed on large monitors. I don't think Excel has caught up with me yet in either of those categories. Perhaps I could hook an external display up to an iPad, but the conditional formatting thing is unavailable AFAIK.
    • I program and edit AppleScripts to customize my workflow. AppleScript is unavailable on the iPad, and there really is no way to create any kind of tailor-made workflows to manipulate text and data using conditional algorithms on an iPad that I am aware of. Siri Shortcuts seem interesting, but they are not fully programmable solutions to complex real-world workflow needs.
    • I often need to edit and localize Adobe Illustrator files. This is, again, something that I cannot accomplish on the iPad.
    • I frequently need to use Windows. Parallels Desktop is my solution for virtualization on the Mac, and I've used it for years. Needless to say, this is not an option on the iPad.
    • I need to keep secure local backups of my entire machine on a frequent basis. iOS will only allow me to back up to iCloud, to my knowledge.
    There's no need to go on, really. The iPad may be a computing device, but even a low-cost Windows machine would give me greater computing and processing flexibility than an iPad. I'm sure that some people can do some serious work on their iPads, but the question is: how much effort are they expending to do the things they could do in a cinch with a PC or a Mac?

Why stretch the metaphor? iOS simply isn't made for people who need to do serious computing. It has evolved, but it's still got its roots in the world of mobile handheld devices primarily made for consuming content. I'm sure someone can do something "serious" with it, but they'll quickly run into a brick wall if they want to really do something that stretches the limits. That's what a real computer with a real OS is for. The tool must fit the use case.

13. aknabi macrumors member

Well this weekend I attempted to do our VAT (sales tax) filings (download PDF bank statement from online, collecting up files on dropbox and using fresh books online, making zip file of a dropbox folder and emailing to our accountant). Normally with my Mac it's about 10-15m... with my iPad Pro it was about 45 minutes of frustration.

Then tried to book an airline ticket online (they're having a fare sale)... browser kept going wonky, went to the Mac, < 5min, got my ticket (note that it the airline's "fault" for not supporting the iPad, but regardless I just want my ticket).

I have tried using the Adobe tools to look at design files, etc - but just end up going to the Mac.

These were some basic business flows... as an iOS/Android developer of course the iPad Pro is 100% out as a development tool.

I gave my daughter my 12" iPad pro for school use in her AP classes... but to write papers with research she went back to the Mac and the ability to have multiple windows with multiple tabs for research + writing.

It's fine for watching videos, eBooks, social media, basic email... but if you're doing that the basic iPad is fine.

For folks claiming this can replace a Mac for anything but basic consumption and workflows are doing some serious usability gymnastics in the name of Apple loyalty.

I love the new iPad Pro HW... it's an engineering marvel... but either iOS need a serious step up in complex workflow usability or an ARM variant of MacOS needs to be available for this to be a serious tool.

14. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

I am not going to converse with people that use your tone...

15. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

A funny thing happened today at work.

A number of our work-issued windows tablets got stuck in a BSOD loop and were basically taken out of commission. When I left school, the IT dept was still busy trying to remedy the issue.

Of course, since I use my ipad in class, I was blissfully unaware of the problem until I checked my emails only after class ended.

Granted, it’s not entirely a fair comparison, but it’s times like this I am glad I have my own personal computing device and effectively operate outside the school infrastructure. I was still able to use my ipad to do a presentation, then had my answer key up and streaming Apple Music while marking books. Answered some emails and texted some friends via iMessage and telegram, ran a couple of shortcuts, caught up on my twitter and news feed.

So yeah, they are all fairly basic tasks compared to what some of you do here, but they are just a dream to perform on an iPad Pro compared to a conventional windows PC.

16. Classie macrumors newbie

This!
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2019 ---
    I agree with alot of previous comments about the iPad Pro not being the ultimate replacement for all “Pro-users”.
    But does it have to be. I see this as a step in the right direction. Apple has a vision (like it or not) which will become more clear and improve for each new version of iOS.

Sure, some taskes are a little harder to complete on iPad than on a computer; others are an absolute delight to use!
    But I for one won’t sit and wait, complaining, risking being left behind. Inevitably this will be the future - I don’t want to be left behind.

Also, it’s quite refreshing not being stuck in status quo - I might learn something new! ;)

17. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Typical hate from the forum, as usual. I don't get why people seem to care what device people use for work. Apple and other tech companies make a ton of products, use what works best for you.

18. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

It's just so awkward and clumsy, with unnecessary contrivances and omissions. I would love the iPad as my daily driver. But everything basic takes four times as long and anything moderately complex cant be done at all.

The hardware is being held back by the software. Which is ironic as its the opposite case for their computer lineup these days.

19. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Because change is hard...and uncomfortable...and disruptive.

The more the iPad encroaches on traditional computing tasks, the louder the opposition becomes and the further out the goal posts move as to what constitutes "real" computing tasks, a "real" operating system and a "real" computer.

I just rewatched the video where Walt Mossberg asked Steve Jobs about the "tablet" replacing the PC, to which Jobs replied with the cars and trucks analogy...and he nailed it. I have not watched the video in quite a while, but I keep referencing it when the arguments boils over in these forums, as they did when Apple introduced the 2018 iPad Pros at the October event.

"And this transformation is gonna to make some people uneasy....people from the PC world...uneasy; like you and me."

It is definitely making PC/Mac people uneasy. If it wasn't, I don't think you would see the number of negative comments.

20. erinsarah macrumors 6502

Two words: Pivot Tables.

21. DNichter, Jan 21, 2019

DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Very true. I just personally wouldn't be as bothered by it as much as people on here are, but I guess I can see why they are uneasy about it.

22. ChristianGGG macrumors newbie

The Problem of the Software or better Microsoft. It is not related to Apple and the Hardware. For sure the IPad would manage Pivot tables.....

23. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Bingo. There are some use cases where a company uses an iPad to interface with inhouse software. It's convenient for input/reference tasks. However, it's still evident that the iPad's OS and touch UI is too slow for detailed tasks. If I owned a company and saw an employee using an iPad for tasks that are performed better on a laptop or desktop, I'd fire his hipster ass for wasting time.

24. rowspaxe, Jan 21, 2019

rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

totally dishonest characterization of the discussion
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2019 ---
    More tablet utopia nonsense.

People are not calling BS on the ipad as a productivity device because they are threatened by some
    tablet "tranformation". They just pointing out problems that are real. Many--like myself--would welcome an improved ipad as a hybrid device, ie mouse support and improvements to icloud

25. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Not sure how, but okay. An article about some of the cool use cases for iPad's, automatically gets turned into an "the iPad is a toy that can't do real work" conversation. The iPad is extremely capable and can work for a lot of people, although not for everyone. I am not sure why it can't just be left at that.