Apple Shares New Videos Highlighting What You Can Do With an iPad Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 18, 2019.

1. citysnaps macrumors 601

"What I am saying is that the iPad is not going to unsurp the computer workhorses."

Nice straw man. No one...me, Tim Cook, or anybody on this forum is saying that.

"People like you paint a picture that iPads can replace the computer but never mention the small print that it can only replace those with light workflows."

Now that's a real hoot. I've never said that. Feel free to go back thousands of posts if you care to. Truth and facts matter. You conveniently leave out the "...for many people." Rather disingenuous.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2019 ---
    Got it. You're special. The other 200+ million customers Apple is building products for don't matter.

2. Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, for you and others who share your desire, Apple has shown zero interest in optimizing macOS for touch, much less putting it into a tablet. For better or worse they are committed to iOS and the iPad.

3. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Hmmm..

https://mashable.com/2015/11/10/apple-tim-cook-why-buy-a-pc/?europe=true

4. citysnaps macrumors 601

5. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

And in this one he's asking why anybody would buy a PC? A question that has got about a hundred answers.

The funny thing is that quote is from 2015, you couldn't even drag and drop on an iPad then, about as basic a productivity task as it gets really.

6. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

When you're 9.7" Pro can do everything they show....

7. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Luma is fine; Doing extensive video editing with the pencil is insane

8. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I cannot fathom how people fail to understand this.

The fact that something is possible on an iPad is immaterial, the question should be is it efficient.

9. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

I have the smart keyboard. It's fine for minor Word and email use. Heavy use? Not great.

10. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

11. DragoniteD macrumors member

DragoniteD

You probably have not taken fully advantage of the shortcuts? To me the Apple Magic Keyboard 2 with the new iPad Pro can accommodate relative heavy typing work (5~10 hours a day). Also, it is a portable solution when outside, I always work on computer at home/office/lab. To me my MacBook Pro 2016 is probably gonna be my last personal laptop. It is likely that I will use the iPad + desktop combination in the future.

12. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

NOt short, because they repeat content, haha

13. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

Check out these impressive videos entirely edited in LumaFusion. It all about an individual's willingness to work with the tools at hand and their learning of a tools capabilities and most importantly IMAGINATION.
    https://forums.luma-touch.com/viewforum.php?f=9

Obviously this is a tool that would not be appropriate for editing a network tv show or movie.

14. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Yes, everything done on the ipad is about kludgey work arounds
    by brand enthusiasts (except art). Complex video editing without a mouse
    is a disaster. Productivity is not about IMAGINATION, its about efficient tools.

15. Soi Dog, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019

Soi Dog macrumors newbie

EDIT. Sorry but long respons disappeared on send. But in short I can do that on my old iPad2 and expect more on what can be done on new iPad pros. The iOS file system or lack off is the big problem

16. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Think beyond your particular use case. Like I said, “certainly there are plenty of applications where tablet computers aren’t appropriate.”

That tablets aren’t able to replace traditional computers for video production isn’t relevant to the fact that iPads have replaced desktops/laptops for a significant number of users.
    You missed the fact that desktops/laptops combined—traditional computers—have decreased from 350 million a year in 2010-2012 to 250 million currently. There are plenty of users who find tablet computers sufficient for their computing needs; your use case isn’t relevant to them.

The iPad changed the way people compute. Deal with it.

17. Rob_2811 macrumors 68000

More accurate.

18. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

You can do the same on an $ 100 tablet. If Apple wants to be noticed with an $ 800+ tablet, it needs to offer possibilities that justifies the price. As it’s just a phone OS, with no special capabilities it doesn’t offer compelling reasons to sell. The things you mentioned are all possible with the chrome books at a fraction of the price. No wonder Apple has lost the educational market to the chrome books.

19. CE3 macrumors 65816

20. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Yep, unfortunately just like the rest of Apples products these days. All marketing with little substance.

I really wish iOS 13 will make up those price increases justified. But will probably be an incremental update with same everything.

21. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I doubt the experience of performing those tasks on a $100 tablet would be anywhere near as good as doing it on an iPad Pro.

For me, the most compelling part of the iPad is that it runs ios, not macOS.

22. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Apple definitely wants to sell but they got overhauled in education by Google and I’m not seeing this changing. Google is delivering to the classroom what Apple has been hoping for.

23. Soi Dog macrumors newbie

Best comment that says it all

24. Zenithal macrumors 604

Your post is mostly hearsay based on your belief that charts is referring to iPads only, when the reality is Android tablets are capable of many things the iPad are, as well as emailing, word processing, and more. The only upper-hand the iPad has is a slightly better ecosystem that coexists with other Apple products, the faster SoC and then some. Tablets have taken over from desktops only in certain uses cases that simply do not drive anything remotely creative or CPU/GPU bound. Tablets are the next step from netbooks which lived a short and terrible life.

25. xxray macrumors 6502a

People roasting the iPad in this thread clearly have never actually tried to get work done on it. It’s my full time device.
    People roasting the iPad in this thread clearly have never actually tried to get work done on it. It’s my full time device.