Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new featurette for upcoming Apple TV+ sci-fi series "See," one of the first shows that will be available when Apple TV+ launches later this week.

The trailer gives an overview of the plot of the series, which is set 600 years after a viral apocalypse. The survivors are all blind and have reverted back to a tribal culture.

The series stars Jason Momoa as Baba Voss, the father of twins who are born with the mythic ability to see. Alfre Woodard is also in the series, playing the role of the spiritual leader of the tribe.

"See" has received less than stellar reviews from media sites so far. The Hollywood Reporter said that it "isn't close to a good show thus far," while Variety said that it wastes the time of Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard.

"Spiraling away from narrative control as its first three episodes unreel, this series, about a post-apocalyptic future in which nearly everyone is blind, wastes the time of Jason Momoa and Alfre Woodard, among others, on a story that starts from a position of fun, giddy strangeness and drags itself forward at a lugubrious pace."

Apple TV+ will launch on Friday, November 1 with "See," "The Morning Show," "For All Mankind," "Dickinson," and more. Apple plans to add additional TV shows over time, but at launch, content will be limited.

Apple TV+ will be priced at $4.99 per month, but it is free for students with an Apple Music subscription and those who have recently purchased an Apple TV, Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'See' First Look Featurette Ahead of Apple TV+ Launch

Reactions: 15ngcs1

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
A week I ago I read that Apple execs were saying that 'See' is going to be the next Game of Thrones. Looking at the first reviews, this doesn't seem to be the case. I, like many, will still give it chance this Friday because the trailers and TV spots have looked pretty interesting.

Last edited:

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
As a Student with an active Apple Music subscription I suppose I'll try this out, but I don't see myself enjoying this service. Most of my media consumption comes from Youtube.. I'm kinda sick of TV and hollywood actors.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I'm looking forward to watching it. I do think it helps that for me it's free due to my 11 pro. Reviewers can always get a bit carried away, not every show has to be a 10/10 smash hit. Some of the best shows have been mediocre at times but overall enjoyable.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Don't know why the critics are so harsh this looks interesting.

You have to remember a critic has a different perspective on things. Day in day out they are watching shows and reviewing them and getting a bias or taste for certain content. It's like a food critic that will only give a pass mark to the most exquisite meal and have a lot to say about mediocre food. That same mediocre food will probably be amazing for the majority of people, because their base level is much more normal.

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
I hope... that... how they know the baby can see is not a plot hole.

Doesn't have to be a plot hole at all. There could easily be a test given to all, or maybe the baby responding to someone without them speaking is a clue that leads to further investigation. Two easy explanations off the top of my head.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
They built a series around a one-trick plot.

It would have been more interesting if they had made the fact that everyone is blind incidental to the plot, and not the main plot idea.

Reactions: SigEp265

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Some of those 'blind men' have perfectly trimmed beards.
They are blind, yet they managed to combine the color of their clothing.

Why some women wear earrings if nobody can see them?
Speaking as a blind man, a shaved beard and color matched clothes isn't that difficult.
[automerge]1572458333[/automerge]
They built a series around a one-trick plot.

It would have been more interesting if they had made the fact that everyone is blind incidental to the plot, and not the main plot idea.

Agree

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
And this is the only one I thought I would watch. One things for sure, the actors, producers and staff on these productions are laughing all the way to the bank with Apple’s money.

I see a few things happening here:

- Apple keeps at it like they have with Apple Music.
- Give up
- Buy Netflix, Showtime and FX to get access to well produced content.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
Don't know why the critics are so harsh this looks interesting.
Maybe, just maybe, they have already saw 3 episodes and concluded that it is meh. 3 out of 3 reviewes I checked conclude the same. There is nothing interesting to see here. Apple should not have created so much hype if they werent sure that the shows are at least above average quality, in script, screeplay and production. It is a shame. Cook is surely not happy from this bilion dollars investment outcome.

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
And this is the only one I thought I would watch. One things for sure, the actors, producers and staff on these productions are laughing all the way to the bank with Apple’s money.

I see a few things happening here:

- Apple keeps at it like they have with Apple Music.
- Give up
- Buy Netflix, Showtime and FX to get access to well produced content.
I thnink Apple would just end the season and wont look back at this specific show (or any other of the same qualify). They would continue looking for their holy blockbuster hit ala Game of Thrones one way or another. Once they get 100 shows, statistically, at least a few would worth the 4$ a month to watch. Neverthless, they are still a few years away from start earning any actual profits from this new business line so, for now, it its a sinkhole for dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.