Apple Shares 'Shot on iPhone XS' Video Demoing Slo-mo, 4K, and Time-Lapse Modes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has shared a video on its YouTube channel showcasing the video recording capabilities of the new flagship iPhone XS, which debuted on Wednesday at Apple's Gather Round event held at Apple Park.

[​IMG]

The content provides a "first-look" at video shot on the new device, which Apple claims has the "highest quality video shot on any smartphone", and looks at how water, metals, and other substances were used to create the impressive clips.

Over 1 minute and 44 seconds, viewers get a sample of what the smartphone's 4K, Slo-mo, and Time-lapse modes can capture in close-quarters, interspersed with short clips of how the experimental conditions were set up.

For example, one low-light experiment in 4K (at 60fps) mixes ink and clay over several glass panes to create a stunning interstellar-like scene complete with planets, their satellites, and nebulae looming in the background.

Apple says the XS family features larger pixels and a faster sensor than previous iPhones, enabling improved low-light performance and video stabilization, while four built-in mics allow video to be recorded with stereo sound.

The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max come in 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage capacities, and in Space Gray, Silver, and Gold. The iPhone XS starts at $999 in 64GB, while the iPhone XS Max starts at $1,099 in 64GB.

Pre-orders for the smartphones begin on Friday, September 14, ahead of launch on Friday, September 21 in more than 30 countries and territories.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'Shot on iPhone XS' Video Demoing Slo-mo, 4K, and Time-Lapse Modes

2. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Steve would've never allowed showing behind the scenes process.

3. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Nice video and it is really funny to shot 4K videos on a 64GB smartphone.
    I'm ok with 64 being the base model on the Xr but since Xs is $250 more 128GB as the first tier would have been appreciated.
    I put all of my pics in iCloud so I can deal with having only 64GB on my phone, but I shot videos at 1080 60fps. Having a bunch of 4K videos on the device is not feasible unless you go for the higher tiers

4. Bacillus, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

Bacillus Suspended

Bacillus

Ah, finally.
    These things look so blurred every day on my iPhones 3 thru X.

5. thaifood macrumors 6502

Then get the 256gb or 512gb option.

6. cardfan macrumors 65816

That’s so cool. Then Apple downsizes it on Apple TV. Very few iPhone users have even seen their videos in 4K.

7. Substance90 macrumors regular

These scenarios they shoot with the iPhone for promotion would look good shot with almost anything, even a 5 year old smartphone.

8. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

9. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Looks beautiful - what a fantastic advert. Gave me lots of ideas to make unique backgrounds too.

10. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Noticed during presentation yesterday: Apple wows the beautiful background animations that look natural/skeuomorphic. But on top are those flat UI elements.

Something is very wrong.

11. TheTruth101 macrumors regular

I was recording some videos in a club this last Saturday with my X and got a load of grain. I was recording the visuals of the projectors. Never as good as this video, never the quality advertised.

12. loveandhavefun macrumors member

loveandhavefun

I think the weird background music gave me a brain aneurism

13. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

They conveniently forget to mention that the Xr can also record 4K video at 60fps for $250 less that the Xs.

14. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

As the others have said, just get the one with higher storage. This is not different from what it is on the iPad Pro, which I personally use more storage on my 264gb iPad Pro. Yes, I know you want the 128GB option but this is Apple. Nothing new here.

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’ve had my iPhone X since launch and maybe recoded about 2 4K videos lol..

And it’s usally just to show off the phone, then the videos get deleted.

And it’s been years since I recorded in slow motion. Didn’t even know people still used that feature.

16. cfurlin macrumors regular

cfurlin

And thankfully he's not around to keep us from seeing it.

17. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Nothing is wrong me thinks. The day Apple goes back to these awful UI elements of prior iOS 7 is the day I take a break from iOS. There is something about Skeuomorphism that bores me to death. As for the wallpaper, nothing can be as flat as the thin film of the soap bubble :)

18. Substance90 macrumors regular

That's what I'm saying. They have a well lit scene with good visuals. It's gonna look good shot with literally anything. They never promote photos taken in suboptimal lighting for example.

19. calstanford macrumors member

So glad they finally put a 4K and a slomo-1080p camera into the iPhone XS! Time to upgrade from my X

20. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Of course a lit scene, what exactly did you expect? It can be a professional camera that costs more then a car and filmmakers still do spend a fortune on lighting. It is all bout perfection and keeping the iSO as low as possible. Having the tool and knowing how or where to use it are 2 different things.

Plenty in YouTube. I use it all the time. Particularly with the GoPro Hero

21. mrzz macrumors regular

They don't give a crap about users and their struggle with 64G, their only concern is $ and they will do literally any dirty trick to force people buy more expensive model. Disgusting

22. deckard666 macrumors 6502

deckard666

You do know you're talking about a non-life-essential luxury product when you use the word disgusting ?

23. tomekwsrod macrumors newbie

Non-life-essential luxury and hyper-expensive. This. Nailed it.

24. ssaxamaphone macrumors newbie

Once again, Apple has no idea what low light actually means.