Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has shared a video on its YouTube channel showcasing the video recording capabilities of the new flagship iPhone XS, which debuted on Wednesday at Apple's Gather Round event held at Apple Park.

iphone-xs-shot-on-iphone-video02-800x443.jpg

The content provides a "first-look" at video shot on the new device, which Apple claims has the "highest quality video shot on any smartphone", and looks at how water, metals, and other substances were used to create the impressive clips.

Over 1 minute and 44 seconds, viewers get a sample of what the smartphone's 4K, Slo-mo, and Time-lapse modes can capture in close-quarters, interspersed with short clips of how the experimental conditions were set up.

For example, one low-light experiment in 4K (at 60fps) mixes ink and clay over several glass panes to create a stunning interstellar-like scene complete with planets, their satellites, and nebulae looming in the background.

Apple says the XS family features larger pixels and a faster sensor than previous iPhones, enabling improved low-light performance and video stabilization, while four built-in mics allow video to be recorded with stereo sound.

The iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max come in 64GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage capacities, and in Space Gray, Silver, and Gold. The iPhone XS starts at $999 in 64GB, while the iPhone XS Max starts at $1,099 in 64GB.

Pre-orders for the smartphones begin on Friday, September 14, ahead of launch on Friday, September 21 in more than 30 countries and territories.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'Shot on iPhone XS' Video Demoing Slo-mo, 4K, and Time-Lapse Modes

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Nice video and it is really funny to shot 4K videos on a 64GB smartphone.
I'm ok with 64 being the base model on the Xr but since Xs is $250 more 128GB as the first tier would have been appreciated.
I put all of my pics in iCloud so I can deal with having only 64GB on my phone, but I shot videos at 1080 60fps. Having a bunch of 4K videos on the device is not feasible unless you go for the higher tiers

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Ah, finally.
These things look so blurred every day on my iPhones 3 thru X.

Last edited:
Reactions: HardRain

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I'm ok with 64 being the base model on the Xr but since Xs is $250 more 128GB as the first tier would have been appreciated.
I put all of my pics in iCloud so I can deal with having only 64GB on my phone, but I shot videos at 1080 60fps. Having a bunch of 4K videos on the device is not feasible unless you go for the higher tiers

Then get the 256gb or 512gb option.

cardfan

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2012
That’s so cool. Then Apple downsizes it on Apple TV. Very few iPhone users have even seen their videos in 4K.

Reactions: Textime

meaning-matters

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Noticed during presentation yesterday: Apple wows the beautiful background animations that look natural/skeuomorphic. But on top are those flat UI elements.

Something is very wrong.

Reactions: miniyou64

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

As the others have said, just get the one with higher storage. This is not different from what it is on the iPad Pro, which I personally use more storage on my 264gb iPad Pro. Yes, I know you want the 128GB option but this is Apple. Nothing new here.

Reactions: citysnaps

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I’ve had my iPhone X since launch and maybe recoded about 2 4K videos lol..

And it’s usally just to show off the phone, then the videos get deleted.

And it’s been years since I recorded in slow motion. Didn’t even know people still used that feature.

Reactions: richmondhill

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
But on top are those flat UI elements.

Something is very wrong.

Nothing is wrong me thinks. The day Apple goes back to these awful UI elements of prior iOS 7 is the day I take a break from iOS. There is something about Skeuomorphism that bores me to death. As for the wallpaper, nothing can be as flat as the thin film of the soap bubble :)

Substance90

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
I was recording some videos in a club this last Saturday with my X and got a load of grain. I was recording the visuals of the projectors. Never as good as this video, never the quality advertised.
That's what I'm saying. They have a well lit scene with good visuals. It's gonna look good shot with literally anything. They never promote photos taken in suboptimal lighting for example.

Reactions: richmondhill

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
That's what I'm saying. They have a well lit scene with good visuals. It's gonna look good shot with literally anything. They never promote photos taken in suboptimal lighting for example.

Of course a lit scene, what exactly did you expect? It can be a professional camera that costs more then a car and filmmakers still do spend a fortune on lighting. It is all bout perfection and keeping the iSO as low as possible. Having the tool and knowing how or where to use it are 2 different things.

And it’s been years since I recorded in slow motion. Didn’t even know people still used that feature.

Plenty in YouTube. I use it all the time. Particularly with the GoPro Hero

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
They don't give a crap about users and their struggle with 64G, their only concern is $ and they will do literally any dirty trick to force people buy more expensive model. Disgusting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.