Apple Shares Trailer for Upcoming Apple TV+ Show 'Dickinson'

daftpunker909

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
While MacRumors has always had naysayers (remember the famous iPod thread?), in the past several years, it's devolved into a cesspool of negativity and trolling. I spent some time putting users whose only contribution is incessant negavity or tired one liners and it's helped make this forum more tolerable but it's far from the Apple fan community it started out as.
Maybe that increase in negativity correlates with the work Apple has been doing lately?

dominiongamma

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, Arizona
A bunch of 30-40 something year old dudes commenting on a show made for 13 year old girls...
Maybe Apple should take a page from Disney and make shows that’s aren’t PG and more towards adults as well. Apple is just cratering to one group of people. Disney is doing it for kids as well adults

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
Reminds me a bit of A Knight's Tale, Heath Ledger's comedic take on knights genre. Of about 3 dozens shows reportedly in production, only a handful (as little as 5) are expected to launch in November.

I am not sure Apple can charge $10/month for 5 shows, even if they are proved to be very high quality. Many people, including myself, routinely subscribe to CBS All Access or HBO Now for only a single show (Star Trek Discovery and Game of Thrones, respectively) but they cancel after binge watching them.

If Apple wants subscribers to stay on as a recurring subscriber, it needs to low price (combination of cheaper standalone price and bundled price) or offer more back catalog from different studios.
I’d watch A Knight’s Tale series. Not this, though.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Maybe that increase in negativity correlates with the work Apple has been doing lately?
No, it correlates with Apple's rise as a commodity brand. It really spiked when the iPhone brought in an audience who didn't choose Apple as a niche company that values design and simplicity but instead buy an iPhone because it's the most popular phone and then are surprised when Apple does things that follow its guiding principles and charge an according premium.

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
This is your friendly reminder that not all content has to please everyone. Just like there's tons of content on Netflix, I won't watch but there are shows that seem tailor made for my tastes, AppleTV+ will have a variety of content for all sorts of audiences.
So you’re Apple. You’ve got nothing but a few billion to spend to start your own content streaming company. You know people have different tastes. You also know what genre has dominated the top money grossing lists. You also need to charge 9.99 from the beginning no matter what. What do you do?

Well we must have a variety is what you say. Nope. Wrong answer. Now you have a library that might appeal to larger numbers but barely and with maybe one show?

Or you focus on that money making genre and hope to build a loyal core group of users who’ll have enough multiple shows from the beginning to be consistent monthly buyers. Apple could always expand later.

Doesn’t really matter. Apple chose variety. With hardly any content overall it’ll be slow going.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
A trailer usually highlights to entice the viewer to want more. In this case, those with falling to sleep issues, Apple could put Ambien out of business
Oh ok. There’s plenty of films that have great trailers and are horrible. The list is wayyy too long to share. While this isn’t for my tastes - neither is everything on Netflix, Hulu, Prime, NBC, etc. Who cares. Yea it’ll appeal to someone just not me.

I can’t and don’t speak for everyone. There are tastes out there for this type of programming. I work in the film industry and buzz on The Morning Show is red hot. Those that doubt some of Apples initial lineup should re-examine their doubts. No programmer out there has a perfect record on the content they create.

Some of you don’t understand that Apple has a potential - potential market of 1 billion. Even if they entice .5% to view it they don’t care. This isn’t an ad driven service just eyeballs. Enough out of their available audience WILL but into it and an unknown number will love and hate the programming at times.

So? I’m perplexed how what they decide to make effects anyone really. It’s like buyers remorse before you even bought it.

Really.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Wow, just wow.
Please tell me this is a series and not a movie so I can enjoy this train wreck over and over again.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Maybe Apple should take a page from Disney and make shows that’s aren’t PG and more towards adults as well. Apple is just cratering to one group of people. Disney is doing it for kids as well adults
What has Disney announced that is for adults? Star Wars, Marvel, and other stuff aimed at kids and teens.

Are you thinking the Lizzie McGuire reboot is going to be edgy? Or that She-Hulk will be the next Jessica Jones?

I expect Disney to divert R-rated or TV-MA content to Hulu.

Reactions: 15ngcs1

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
While MacRumors has always had naysayers (remember the famous iPod thread?), in the past several years, it's devolved into a cesspool of negativity and trolling. I spent some time putting users whose only contribution is incessant negavity or tired one liners and it's helped make this forum more tolerable but it's far from the Apple fan community it started out as.
I like most things Apple does. I normally buy most things Apple puts out. I love my HomePod. I think Siri is underrated at worst. I'm a huge Apple Music proponent. I upgrade my iPhone and iPad every year there's an update. I love Apple TV. I love my iMac. I think iCloud Photo Library has been a fantastic solution. I could go on and on. I'm a pretty big Apple fan and usually rise above the fray of negativity.

But let's be serious.

As far as Apple TV+ is concerned, based on what we've seen, not even thinking about the $9.99 rumors, this has all the early beginning signs of being a flop. Again, as I've said, maybe it'll be fine, but what you and other more positive-minded people aren't recognizing is that even if these shows are great by some empirical standard, this is still an incredibly tough path to climb.

And this isn't at all like Apple Music. Apple Music was a subscription service for essentially all the recorded music that was and is to come, not a small selection of shows from a company with no history in content creation in an era where everyone and their mother is trying and typically failing at this game and subscribers are getting burnt out on all these subscriptions.

You can positive this and negative that all you want, but the reality is that they're late to an already-tired party where people are leaving. And unlike the iPod or the iPhone or other hardware/software products, this is just content. This isn't innovation on an existing idea. It's just more content in an era where people already are overwhelmed with too much content, and again, too many subscriptions.

Maybe it'll work out for them; who knows, stranger things have happened. But you're not a fool to doubt this one. And if you're comparing this to previous Apple successes and late-game entries, you're confused on the fundamentals and should probably take a minute to rethink the comparisons you're making.

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007

Apple today shared the first official trailer for "Dickinson," another one of its upcoming television shows that stars Hailee Steinfeld, Jane Krakowski, and others.

The trailer provides the first look at what we can expect from the show, which is a comedy focused on the life of poet Emily Dickinson.

"Dickinson" was one of the first Apple TV projects that Apple signed up for, with Apple inking a deal for the series back in May 2018.

Hailee Steinfeld, known for her roles in "True Grit," "Pitch Perfect 2," "Pitch Perfect 3," "Ender's Game," and coming of age film "Edge of Seventeen," takes on the titular role of Emily Dickinson in the series, while Jane Krakowski plays her mother.

Emily Dickinson was a prolific American poet known for short lines, slant rhymes, and irregular use of punctuation. Much of her work focused on death and immortality, and she was known for living a reclusive life. The show is said to explore the constraints of society, gender, and family from the perspective of a budding writer who doesn't fit into her own time.

According to the trailer, "Dickinson" is set to launch this fall, which means it will be one of the initial shows available when the service becomes available.

Apple hasn't provided a specific release date for when we can expect to see the TV+ series launch, but it is said to be coming this fall, perhaps in November. Rumors have suggested Apple is aiming to price the service at $9.99 per month.

"Dickinson" is just one of dozens of shows and films Apple is working on for Apple TV+. For a full list of everything that's known to be in development, check out our Apple TV+ content guide.

Article Link: Apple Shares Trailer for Upcoming Apple TV+ Show 'Dickinson'
Can we just shut comments down for these trailer premieres already? I'm tired or reading garbage comments in search of one useful one. They are all so dismissive and narrow minded. This show is clearly designed with and for young audiences in mind. It has a completely different sense of humor and take on history than any commenter in here seems to grasp. Most importantly, there is no such thing as predicting a killer show based on its trailer. Show me the greatest trailer ever and I can find you tons of viewers that hated it. Show me the worst trailer and I will find diehard fans of that movie or TV show.

MLVC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
No, it correlates with Apple's rise as a commodity brand. It really spiked when the iPhone brought in an audience who didn't choose Apple as a niche company that values design and simplicity but instead buy an iPhone because it's the most popular phone and then are surprised when Apple does things that follow its guiding principles and charge an according premium.
Besides that, so many comment boards, comments on Facebook threads etc. are so negative these days. Like it's uncool to say something positive. Nope, trashing everything to the ground is the thing to do now. Usually even based on the title of a post.

Reactions: ipedro and 15ngcs1

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Disney has a crazy back catalogue and shows like The Mandalorian (which looks amazing), Netflix has Stranger Things and shows like Mindhunter and Apple has... this. I can’t see other streaming platforms taking Apple TV seriously.
And people have different opinions.

For example, 26.4 million people in the U.S. watched the third season of 'Stranger Things'. You think it's a big hit - but that doesn't even match the ratings for 'Fuller House'.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Lol, I was thinking the exact same thing after watching the trailer.
Everything about that ad screams CW. The music, the quick cuts, the overall tone... classic CW Y.A. advertising. That may be the audience Apple is focusing on with this show. Also kinda reminds me of Youtube's Impulse. My girls like that show. They'd probably like Dickinson.

Reactions: Ar40