Apple Shares Tutorial Video on Using Apple Pay With iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new tutorial video on its YouTube channel, this time demonstrating how to use Apple Pay in retail stores with the iPhone X.

Apple Pay on iPhone X is similar to Apple Pay on other devices, but with no fingerprint sensor, you need to unlock your iPhone with Face ID and double tap on the side button to bring up the Wallet app.

Apple's video uses step-by-step instructions to walk users through how to use Apple Pay, similar to other tutorial videos the company has released in the past.

- Step 1: Locate a point-of-sale system that accepts Apple Pay
    - Step 2: Double click side button and glance at screen
    - Step 3: Hold top of iPhone near reader screen

Apple has been using short tutorial videos for several months now to demonstrate iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11, and iPad Pro features. Previous videos have highlighted peer-to-peer Apple Pay payments, Portrait Lightning, iPad-specific iOS 11 tools, and more.

Article Link: Apple Shares Tutorial Video on Using Apple Pay With iPhone X

2. jacobh101 macrumors regular

3. TGFits macrumors newbie

Interesting they don't mention which is the appropriate time to select the card you want to pay with. If you use different cards for different things you can end up paying with wrong card if not careful.

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

It is easy, but I would argue that Apple Pay use is probably down currently. I use it less since I got the X. It is just something about staring at my phone for a few seconds to make a purchase that seems a bit off right now.

I need more time with it... and more people to adopt it I suppose.

5. timborama macrumors 6502a

timborama

If they need to provide a tutorial weeks after the FCS, then clearly it's not as easy as Touch ID.

6. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I wouldn’t say it’s as fluid as using Touch ID, but I use it on my watch anyway so it’s fine with me.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2017 ---
    Yeah, pressing a button and looking at the screen sounds like a pain in the butt :rolleyes:

7. MacBebe macrumors regular

I never use the iPhone anymore for Apple Pay since I got the original Apple Watch. It is just so convenient.

8. ApostolisApo macrumors member

ApostolisApo

I would write the same thing. The probably noticed fewer payments with the X or they just got too many complaints/ questions about it.
    That said, I also didn't know how to properly pay with Touch ID in the beginning. I used to unlock the phone and go to the Wallet app instead of just resting my finger on the Home button :D

9. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

I like using Apple Pay on my Watch instead. When people aren’t paying attention, they think I’m getting items for free... stealthy.

10. ScottButler macrumors regular

ScottButler

Is anyone else experiencing poor Apple Pay performance with the iPhone X lately. It seems that if I engage it with a double press of the side button, it won’t communicate with the reader. But if I let the phone wake up by being near the reader and then double pressing, it works straight away

11. hagar macrumors 6502a

I would like to try this out, but I don't have an iPhone X and live in a EU-country without Apple Pay ;-) Maybe 2018 is the year we're finally going to get it!

12. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

I wish they'd get proactive about getting shops to remove the contactless limit. Tried to use it for my Xmas shopping yesterday, but didn't find anyone accepting it. (Despite Barclaycard running a promotion saying limitless is accepted everywhere)

13. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

Or without pressing any buttons:

1. Hold to reader
    2. Hold to face
    3. Hold back to reader

14. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

I thought I tried that but a message came up telling me I had to double press the side button.

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

I had the opposite reaction. I try to use it every chance I get now. Before I wasn't as militant about using ApplePay.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2017 ---
    Not yet but will look for it now.

16. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Seems like a bit of a Dummy’s Guide...

Yeah, it’s not exactly intuitive first time out but the screen prompts (authenticate via FID, then double-press side button) make it fairly idiot-proof from then on...

...well, when FID works that is, which for me is about 80% of the time.

17. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

While this isn't difficult, it's not nearly as convenient as using Apple Pay on an iPhone with Touch ID.

18. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

They have new tutorials for Apple Pay as a whole, including Touch ID and setting up Wallet:
    https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

19. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Other than that, there’s another pro and con...

+ No need to remove gloves or dry rainy thumb

- However as a southpaw, I find it a bit awkward reaching across and double-pressing with left index finger

20. et01267 macrumors newbie

This might be interesting if more than one of the stores I go to (RiteAid) actually accepted Apple Pay.

21. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Strange that they’ve only just uploaded this. It’s been available on some of their other channels for weeks.

22. emilonrails macrumors newbie

emilonrails

23. Euge macrumors regular

Euge

On a couple occasions, I was holding the phone with my palm facing the screen, and it was actually quite comfortable to pay this way.

The notch still had a clear view of my face, even though the screen was mostly covered. If you don't need to switch cards this works nicely and is even quite comfortable to hold over the reader since your hand is over the phone instead of under it.

24. kironin macrumors 6502a

kironin

my thought exactly. Using a 6S+ is much smoother than this. One more reason to hold on to the phone I'm happy with.

25. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    The first time I tried Apple Pay with my X, I held the phone near the card reader and it started the process automatically, but I was at the same time double pushing the side button, as that's what I heard you needed to do, so it stopped the first process and re-started. Pretty clunky, but now I know not to push the button and just let the NFC reader start the process.