Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Shares Vertical 'Shot on iPhone' Short Film by Damien Chazelle

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today shared a new video in its ongoing "Shot on iPhone" series, this time highlighting a short film that was captured by director Damien Chazelle, known for films like "La La Land" and "Whiplash."

The nine minute short film was shot with an iPhone 11 Pro and all of the footage was captured in a vertical aspect ratio. Apple also included a behind the scenes look at how the film was shot.

When shooting the video, Chazelle used iPhone features like extended dynamic range, video stabilization, the ultra wide-angle lens, and more.

Apple has shared several prior videos and photographs in the "Shot on iPhone" series, but this marks one of the first vertical videos that Apple has uploaded in the "Shot on iPhone" saga.

Article Link: Apple Shares Vertical 'Shot on iPhone' Short Film by Damien Chazelle

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
Also annoying is the fact I have to pinch or double tap on the video to keep the notch from appearing on the video blocking the side part of the content or in this case the top.
For some reason I can't hold my iPhone upside down and move the notch to the bottom of the vertical video. Why?

Comment

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Yes YES YES! This should have been done a long time ago. Vertical video is a curse on the world.
Only in mundane situations. It’s required for apps like Tik Tock and I used it specifically to fully capture the twinkling lights on the Eiffel Tower without needing to go a block away first. People who declare vertical video has no legitimate uses are people who have no creativity.

Comment

brianxramirez

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2020
The little film buff in me wanted to throw up at the title of this promo, but after watching it, I think these proof of concepts are interesting (even though the public, nor I, would want to be watching vertical cinema anytime soon). I know these guys had lights and all this equipment that negate using a sub-par camera (compared to cinema cameras), but its still interesting nonetheless. My favorite clip were the western shots.

Comment

m4mario

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Too bad Apple wasn't smart enough to program the camera to alway record horizontal widescreen no matter how you hold the camera.
It's no longer a limitation of the camera sensors in 2020.
I believe it will be a limitation not necessarily on the pixels, but on the quality. If they are going to do this, they have to start from hardware.

However, there is a value to vertical video while scrolling through instagram feeds, for example. It's not just recording, its content consumption that is becoming vertical. Not for movies, but for short clips. Photography has already shifted to vertical (or square).

Reactions: Dj64Mk7
Comment

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Too bad Apple wasn't smart enough to program the camera to alway record horizontal widescreen no matter how you hold the camera.
It's no longer a limitation of the camera sensors in 2020.

Hardly "not being smart enough" - you may not understand that would be very easy to do.

It's about not putting artificial limitations on creativity.

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
People who declare vertical video has no legitimate uses are people who have no creativity.
Because creativity dawned with the smartphone?

Vertical video is lazy social media behavior. My eyes are horizontal. The horizon is... horizontal.

My desktop display is horizontal. My laptop display is horizontal. My iPad is horizontal except when I’m reading certain types of PDF documents. I type on my phone horizontally. Every movie I own is horizontal. Just about every viewing device made from the dawn of moving pictures has been somewhere between square and horizontal.

Everytime I see someone film vertically and then pan wildly around, I’m conflicted between wanting to scream at the screen and needing to suppress motion sickness.

Vertical is fine for a narrow range of images and video, but don’t pretend it’s a creative explosion. It‘s people too lazy to hold their phone with both hands because they know social media isn’t worth their best effort.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.