Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diarbyrag

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
I tried replacing all the Docks resource files, but the only think that happened after I ran
Code:
killall Dock
was that the Finder Icon came back to the old icon.

You need to delete the dock prefs files in your home folder before killall Dock

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Still amazes me that someone created the new Safari icon and thought, yeah that's a real improvement. Also, considering they apparently spent so long on the trash icon, shame they didn't try it with a light background, it's almost invisible.

The new safari icon is lightyears better. The old one was over ten years old, it needed to go. The new one also looks much sharper on my non-retina screen, the old one always looked especially fuzzy.

diarbyrag

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Finder Icon

I like it flattened and the change of blue to brighten it up. But that is one stupid grin, looks like something off a kids website, or a parody of Steve Balmer maybe. I for one will be changing it back if that is the final one. I don't believe SJ would have approved. The current logo is more like the Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile, subtlety at it's best. Just think how crap that painting would look if she was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
i went from 10.3 to 10.9 and 10.4.11 is even stabler than 10.6....

I mean, I went directly from 10.6 to 10.9, which is why I can compare them directly. No 10.7 or 10.8. I used 10.4 for quite a while and I'm not sure I can honestly say that it was more stable than 10.6. Exposé was a lot better in 10.4 though; I had to use a hack with 10.6 to fix it. (Which is one of the good things about 10.9; Exposé is more or less fixed so I don't need a hack anymore. At least not for that...there are other things with 10.9 that can only be fixed with hacks....)

basically because of the .11 and the fact that 10.6 was around the time macs switched to intel....

Macs switched to Intel in the 10.4 days. They'd been Intel-only for years by the time 10.6 was released.

--Eric

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Yeah, the Mail icon has looked stale for awhile. I've never understood why they didn't at least update the stamp to coincide with the OS release imagery. Theres a certain amount of brand identity that goes along with icons, so I get whey they'd opt for tweaks over wholesale changes. But at this point, a tiny pic of Yosemite would make more sense than the random eagle that's been flying around there for years. Personally, I tend to swap my icons for custom versions anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me. But it would be nice if Apple would update the look every now and again, too.

Then they would have to change the icon every release to match the name. The eagle has become recognizable so it's no more "random" than the file system being represented by a blue smiling man.

On that note, I'm glad they removed the creepy kid from the Preview.app. He will not be missed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 5.45.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 5.45.05 PM.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 69

bueller

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Very unthrilled

It appears to me that the user interface design group at apple is getting way overpaid to come up with these tweaks. Maybe they should concentrate on actually making the desktop display something uniquely different. C'mon people you must admit that ever since Steve left the building they have not come up with anything that is new and exciting. Apple hasn't ever been this boring except maybe during the Scully years.

nextdimension

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2007
80s look

I'm glad they spent thousands of man-hours making that trash can as flat as possible.

Now all they need to do is get rid of gradients and shadows and our productivity will go thru the roof.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Hating so hard

I use it constantly...

in fact, the only reason you either use spotlight or finder to launch apps is because you've used it forever and are used to that method of launching them, stop hating.

I tried to use it, but I found trying to organize my mountains of software to be not-so-smooth. If a folder is at the end of a row and you try to drag an app into it it tries to slide away from you down to the first column on the next row down. And then, if it's the last row last column, it runs to the next page and I was just chasing all these folders around! I found it to be pretty unusable, but I guess that's just me.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Ha! I lol'd.

:rolleyes:

It's faster and more responsive than OSX and a clean design that works, especially with mouse and keyboard.

Its main flaw is the Windows 7 legacy UI debris, mostly found in old icons or Control Panel and such.

It contains no superfluous transparency gimmicks or drawn out animations. Stable like a rock. There's plenty of room for improvement in minor areas, but all in all, it has OSX licked.

It's what happens when Apple spends a decade concentrating on refining iOS and letting OSX pick up the scraps of that table. Apple falls behind like anyone who doesn't put in the effort, and Microsoft did put in the effort. :cool::p

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Hmmm, nice and all but, ahem, will it be stable, fast, and efficient like SL was? Remember SL people? That was the last truly functional and stable OS Apple ever produced.

I wouldn't be able to live without the gesture based control of Lion/ML/Mavericks. Going back to Snow Leopard feels like taking three steps back. What stability issues do you have on Mavericks? I don't have any aside from iTunes but that is a whole other story.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
:rolleyes:

It's faster and more responsive than OSX and a clean design that works, especially with mouse and keyboard.

Its main flaw is the Windows 7 legacy UI debris, mostly found in old icons or Control Panel and such.

It contains no superfluous transparency gimmicks or drawn out animations. Stable like a rock. There's plenty of room for improvement in minor areas, but all in all, it has OSX licked.

It's what happens when Apple spends a decade concentrating on refining iOS and letting OSX pick up the scraps of that table. Apple falls behind like anyone who doesn't put in the effort, and Microsoft did put in the effort. :cool::p

Uh huh. Well when clients stop asking me to remove Windows 8 from their machines and install W7 instead - I might believe you.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Uh huh. Well when clients stop asking me to remove Windows 8 from their machines and install W7 instead - I might believe you.

Uh huh. Well, when bogus anecdotes stop being the norm on the interwebs I might believe you.

Windows 8 is the best consumer OS money can buy as of today, sure stomps W7 into the dust and wins OS X by a fair margin. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.