Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has reportedly cut production of the iPhone 12 mini by two million units to create more manufacturing capacity for the iPhone 12 Pro, according to a new Morgan Stanley investment note seen by PED30.

iphone-12-vs-iphone-12-mini.jpg

Apple is believed to have made the switch for the first quarter of 2021 in an effort to combat continuing lead times for the more popular iPhone 12 Pro.

iPhone 12 Pro lead times remain extended far beyond any model launched in the past 4 years at 10 days. Lead times decreased from 22 days ~2 weeks ago as Apple ramps iPhone 12 production signaled by our iPhone supply chain team, led by Sharon Shih, recently raising March quarter iPhone 12 Pro builds by 2M units (which offset a 2M build reduction for the iPhone 12 mini).

The report supports previous analysis that the iPhone 12 mini has suffered from lackluster sales, capturing just six percent of the total ‌iPhone 12‌ sales during the launch period.

The report also highlighted that the non-Pro iPhone 12 models are believed to be performing better in China than in the United States. In China, the iPhone 12 is believed to have gained a 20.3 percent market share, which is a new 18 month high. The device is also said to have achieved the largest install base of any iPhone launched in China over the past four years through the first full month after being launched.

Article Link: Apple Shifting Some Production From iPhone 12 mini to iPhone 12 Pro to Meet Demand

Reactions: kane0039

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
For years I begged for an iPhone with the form factor of an SE but with flagship specs and no bezels. Apple finally delivered with the 12 Mini. I bought the phone and love it to death. For me the value is there but for others less passionate about the form factor I think the phone might be too expensive to justify its existence. Apple will either have to reduce the price (including possibly trimming the specs to keep their margins), or discontinue the phone entirely. It'll be a sad day for me but I'm so pleased Apple even made the 12 Mini that I'll accept that fate with gratitude nonetheless.

Last edited:

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
For years I begged for an iPhone with the form factor of an SE but with flagship specs and no bezels. Apple finally delivered with the 12 Mini. I bought the phone and love it to death. For me the value is there but for others less passionate about the form factor I think the phone might be too expensive to justify its existence. Apple will either have to reduce the price (including possibly trimming the specs to keep their margins), or discontinue the phone entirely. It'll be a sad day for me but I'm so pleased Apple even made the 12 Mini that I'll accept that fait with gratitude nonetheless.
While you guys a small minority, you were vocal enough that Apple thought the demand was higher than it was

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
Based on all the hype about it online, I'm surprised the Mini isn't selling better. I love my Pro Max but it was always pretty clear that the 12 and the 12 Pro were going to be the best sellers. I always assumed the mini would follow close behind in sales with the Pro Max coming in last due to it being the biggest and most expensive.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
For years I begged for an iPhone with the form factor of an SE but with flagship specs and no bezels. Apple finally delivered with the 12 Mini. I bought the phone and love it to death. For me the value is there but for others less passionate about the form factor I think the phone might be too expensive to justify its existence. Apple will either have to reduce the price (including possibly trimming the specs to keep their margins), or discontinue the phone entirely. It'll be a sad day for me but I'm so pleased Apple even made the 12 Mini that I'll accept that fait with gratitude nonetheless.
If they could make it LCD (yeah yeah I know the bezels) I would love it. I had to return the mini because of headaches from OLED :( :( :( :(

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple has reportedly cut production of the iPhone 12 mini by two million units

The report supports previous analysis that the iPhone 12 mini has suffered from lackluster sales, capturing just six percent of the total ‌iPhone 12‌ sales during the launch period.
Mini was not much of a success huh?

What's your definition of success?

Apple sells tens of millions of iPhones per quarter. iPhone 12 mini captured 6% of total iPhone 12 sales during launch period. iPhone 12 series will probably be Apple's best selling iPhone for the quarter/year again like all previous generations were for their respective launch quarters/years.

Cutting production by 2 million (for the year?). That's still millions of unit sales for the quarter and year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.