Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple overtook Samsung as the top global smartphone manufacturer in 2023, according to preliminary data from market research firm IDC. If the data is accurate, it is the first time Samsung has lost the top spot to another company in 13 years. In 2013, Nokia held the number one spot, Samsung was second, and Apple didn't even feature in the top five.

iphone-14-cyber.jpg

IDC bases its analyses on market share of global smartphone shipments across the year. According to the report, Apple took a 20.1% market share, while Samsung took 19.4% of the share.

Apple was also the only company in the top three to achieve positive growth year-on-year, increasing shipments from 226.3 million units to 234.6 million units.
"While we saw some strong growth from low-end Android players like Transsion and Xiaomi in the second half of 2023, stemming from rapid growth in emerging markets, the biggest winner is clearly Apple," said Nabila Popal, research director with IDC's Worldwide Tracker team. "Not only is Apple the only player in the Top 3 to show positive growth annually, but also bags the number 1 spot annually for the first time ever. All this despite facing increased regulatory challenges and renewed competition from Huawei in China, its largest market."
Samsung's drop in rank is interpreted as only partly down to strong sales of Apple's iPhone 14 models and the company's debut of the iPhone 15 series, while diversification in the Android market is also said to be a factor. Other impacting variables are said to include Huawei's resurgence in China, and brands like OnePlus, Honor, Google, and others launching competitive devices in the lower price range of the high-end market.

idc-global-smartphone-shipments-2023.jpg

Overall, the smartphone market declined by 3.2% to 1.17 billion units shipped across the year, driven largely by macroeconomic challenges and elevated inventory early in the year. However, a growth spurt in the latter stages of 2023 suggests the market could see a recovery this year, with foldable devices and increased interest in AI capabilities also said to be gaining traction.

Article Link: Apple Ships More Smartphones Annually Than Samsung for First Time

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SurferPup

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Overall, the smartphone market declined by 3.2% to 1.17 billion units shipped across the year,
Peak smartphone is already here.

This is why Apple is pushing higher and higher priced iPhones. In economics, companies in a declining market will increase the average selling price to make up for declining or stagnating volume.

So if we see headlines like "iPhone is selling worse this year", it doesn't mean much. It's expected. We need to look at average selling price to see how much money Apple is actually making instead of volume.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Apple overtook Samsung as the top global smartphone manufacturer in 2023, according to preliminary data from market research firm IDC. If the data is accurate, it is the first time Apple has taken the top spot from Samsung since 2010.

iphone-14-cyber.jpg

IDC bases its analyses on market share of global smartphone shipments across the year. According to the report, Apple took a 20.1% market share, while Samsung took 19.4% of the share.

Apple was also the only company in the top three to achieve positive growth year-on-year, increasing shipments from 226.3 million units to 234.6 million units.
Samsung's drop in rank is interpreted as only partly down to strong sales of Apple's iPhone 14 models and the company's debut of the iPhone 15 series, while diversification in the Android market is also said to be a factor. Other impacting variables are said to include Huawei's resurgence in China, and brands like OnePlus, Honor, Google, and others launching competitive devices in the lower price range of the high-end market.

idc-global-smartphone-shipments-2023.jpg

Overall, the smartphone market declined by 3.2% to 1.17 billion units shipped across the year, driven largely by macroeconomic challenges and elevated inventory early in the year. However, a growth spurt in the latter stages of 2023 suggests the market could see a recovery this year, with foldable devices and increased interest in AI capabilities also said to be gaining traction.

Article Link: Apple Ships More Smartphones Than Samsung for First Time in 13 Years
Good. I don’t and have never used an Android virus phone!

ItsASpider

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2021

This is why Apple is pushing higher and higher priced iPhones. In economics, companies in a declining market will increase the average selling price to make up for declining or stagnating volume.

So if we see headlines like "iPhone is selling worse this year", it doesn't mean much. It's expected. We need to look at average selling price to see how much money Apple is actually making instead of volume.
Why do *you* need to look at the average selling price? As a consumer that really shouldn't be of any concern to you. If iPhone is selling lower numbers in one year over the last, then it is just selling lower numbers. Unless you're a shareholder, that should be the end of the story for you.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands

I agree that the smartphone market has peaked. I mean, one-eighth of the world population buying a new smartphone in a given year is massive.

But honestly, I think the case for more expensive smartphones is slowly disappearing. Mid-range smartphones are so capable that I doubt whether my next smartphone is going to be a flagship model.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008

Apple's flagship "normal" size phone has been $999 for 7 generations now. If anything, you should take inflation into account and the phones have been getting cheaper every year.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Why do *you* need to look at the average selling price? As a consumer that really shouldn't be of any concern to you. If iPhone is selling lower numbers in one year over the last, then it is just selling lower numbers. Unless you're a shareholder, that should be the end of the story for you.
I believe it goes back to the adage "An argument should not only be correct, but it should also be correct for the right reasons".

Many people here like to equate lower smartphone sales with the implication that Apple is no longer innovating, lagging behind or doomed because they are making less money. The reality is that even as smartphone upgrade cycles slow, Apple has been able to mitigate this by way of higher prices, more accessories and more services. The end result is improved profitability, even as they sell fewer units overall.

In short, Apple is moving from selling iPhones to selling to people with iPhones. It's an impressive pivot that completely goes against the popular narrative and it works because Apple has its own ecosystem and its own flourishing App Store, unlike Samsung and other android handset manufacturers.

@Brett

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
It seems that lot of people are waiting huge upgrade aka USB C which is a decade ago. Create problems then solve the problem, as expected of apple 😉
What problems did Apple create? Lightning was out before USB-C and much better than micro usb. Hell ISB-C is not that much more sturdy and is a convoluted mess of proprietary options.

KOR1987

Cancelled
Jan 15, 2024
Keep going. Never be lazy to bring significant improvements.
I do not expect innovations from year to year, but I could not detect any significant improvements at iPhone 14 and 15.

AAPL is far behind at Generative AI.
Work on it. Otherwise, AAPL is really doomed and may not sell as many iPhones as today.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
A little disappointing unless you are a shareholder of course but I am one to talk, I also bought a 15 Plus even though my 12 Pro Max was doing fine and is basically the same thing 😅 (only upgraded for the battery)

Reactions: SFjohn

KOR1987

Cancelled
Jan 15, 2024
A little disappointing unless you are a shareholder of course but I am one to talk, I also bought a 15 Plus even though my 12 Pro Max was doing fine and is basically the same thing 😅 (only upgraded for the battery)
AAPL shareholders are doomed.
MSFT surpassed AAPL.
NVDA could rise over 240% last year.
MSFT 68%
AMZN 60%
GOOGL 61%
AAPL 48%.
And now AAPL share is falling while others stay steady or go up.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
It's a great achievement particularly considering the placement of the product Apple ships.

But it should also be a reminder. One day you are top dog, the next not so much.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So it seems that Samsung is losing the high-end segment of the market to Apple, and the lower end to Transsion. It's pretty impressive when you realise that Apple shipped an additional 8 million iPhones when they deal mostly in the high-end part of the market, and in line with Tim Cook's comments on how they are seeing a large number of switchers from Android.

mech986

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2017
SoCal USA
It would be nice to see the breakdown according to smartphone models shipped...

Counterpoint Research has a smartphone model tracker for over 100 countries but does publish a quarterly look in 8 big markets, showing the top 5 selling models in US, UK, Germany, France, China, India, Japan, S Korea. Depending on the quarter, individual and collective Apple models dominate 6-7 of those markets for most of the year.

Here’s the latest report from December 2023 for October 2023:

And here’s a top 10 worldwide quarterly look:

For a consumer, the average selling price tells you what other consumers are ordering or paying for, depending on model, or which is most popular. That may influence a consumer to consider a cheaper model with higher memory, or consider a higher model that is outselling cheaper models based on features, which is why iPhone Pro and Pro Max models sell well and pull the ASP’s up above $900 in recent quarters. Despite maybe selling less units, if most of those units selling are the Pro models, they may represent the best bang for buck to upgraders, Android switchers, or interested brand new buyers.

Since all sales are to consumers, they are making the same qualitative model decisions as you, the individual consumer is. If the base models aren’t selling as well, and the overall ASP is higher being pulled up by Pro Models, maybe the Pro models are the best choices to consider for my hard earned choice and spend.

And BTW, who are you to tell someone how to interpret media reports on Apple sales and average sales prices? Lots of Apple users look at all kinds of reports and data to help them understand Apple and its products AND business.

Since most Apple users are also a bit higher on the economic scale, it’s not hard to see they probably have some level of investment in Apple stock as well, either through Index funds, ETF’s, retirement account investments through work or company programs, or holding AAPL stock directly. It may be a minor or passing interest, but it may influence their buying habits as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: StudioMacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.