Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
So it seems that Samsung is losing the high-end segment of the market to Apple, and the lower end to Transsion. It's pretty impressive when you realise that Apple shipped an additional 8 million iPhones when they deal mostly in the high-end part of the market, and in line with Tim Cook's comments on how they are seeing a large number of switchers from Android.
What’s impressive, and what makes Apple break records, is that the high end segment is the one with the highest sales numbers (by volume, not just value). This is why it makes zero sense for Apple to compete in other price segments.

In which other markets do the high end products outsell the low end, by volume?

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Lost of countries buying older models, higher end sales like Pro Max beating Samsungs high end is also probably because of Apple Store security.

You spend this ridiculous amount on a phone, you want the security of being able to go to a store and ask questions, fixes, repairs etc peace of mind.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Peak smartphone is already here.

This is why Apple is pushing higher and higher priced iPhones. In economics, companies in a declining market will increase the average selling price to make up for declining or stagnating volume.

So if we see headlines like "iPhone is selling worse this year", it doesn't mean much. It's expected. We need to look at average selling price to see how much money Apple is actually making instead of volume.
I would say that peak smartphone was here several years ago. As soon as you start to see a company offering multiple models for all types of consumers, that’s an indication that the company is at peak sales. Then they create a new gimmick i.e. larger size or shape to generate sales from their existing customer base.

We are at the point where the most exciting thing about the yearly iPhone release are the new colors or guessing what they will be.

• Disagree
Reactions: mhnd

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
10 years ago this would have been unimaginable. Like “world’s gone mad”-level. And now…

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Peak smartphone is already here.

This is why Apple is pushing higher and higher priced iPhones. In economics, companies in a declining market will increase the average selling price to make up for declining or stagnating volume.

So if we see headlines like "iPhone is selling worse this year", it doesn't mean much. It's expected. We need to look at average selling price to see how much money Apple is actually making instead of volume.
Raising the price is great if your target demographic is cost insensitive.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
It would be nice to see the breakdown according to smartphone models shipped...
Keep in mind that years ago IDC predicted that Windows Mobile would dominate the market over both iOS and Android. Just saying...

While I am an Apple enthusiast I take this report with a grain of salt. Let’s leave it at that.

KOR1987

Cancelled
Jan 15, 2024
Clearly, Tim Cook needs to be fired ASAP.

Even if he is a great CEO, we need a transformation.
Even despite selling so many iPhones, the market is saturated.

Now, we need a real innovator to push AAPL to next level.

Apple needs a personality like Satya Nadella.

• Haha
Reactions: lkrupp

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
Why do *you* need to look at the average selling price? As a consumer that really shouldn't be of any concern to you. If iPhone is selling lower numbers in one year over the last, then it is just selling lower numbers. Unless you're a shareholder, that should be the end of the story for you.
As a consumer you don’t need to but are you even aware if this person is or isn’t a shareholder? Regardless of being a consumer they are still entitled to have an interest in Apple’s performance.

Reactions: StudioMacs
Good! Beat those guys every way imaginable. “Bury those cockaroaches!” - tony montana

Interesting thing…in the article it says: “All this despite facing increased regulatory challenges and renewed competition from Huawei in China, its largest market."

…”its largest market”??…for some reason it seemed like china would never allow its pop. To use iPhone given its bent towards discretion..

I wonder what, if any, privacy features the govt. of china doesn’t allow…🤔

There are two kinds of smartphones in the market. iPhones and those which wanna be like an iPhone.

same thing I’ve been saying. They started this whole modern day glass slab approach, no keyboard….why go use a device made by followers?….
Not leaders, followers…

Nosy, self conscious followers at that..

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
A little disappointing unless you are a shareholder of course but I am one to talk, I also bought a 15 Plus even though my 12 Pro Max was doing fine and is basically the same thing 😅 (only upgraded for the battery)
Apple becomes the world’s largest smartphone producer and you think it’s “a little disappointing”? Please explain.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
Even if he is a great CEO, we need a transformation.
Need, by which metric?

I highly doubt that you can come up with any definition that will make me agree with you.

There will most likely never be a market like iPhone for the rest of time. Measuring succes in any company against that is ridiculous.

Microsoft is doing great, by doing the exact opposite of what you are asking for.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Gregory_H

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Let's remove the argument of which is better or what they do. I find it very interesting that Samsung began taking hardware features away from us, since the Note 10 & 20 and now Apple has passed them up? Seems like Sammy bit themself and did at least part of this, to themselves? Do they really care though? I still have my Note 20 Ultra, with SD card 1 TB, and unless they bring back at least the SD card, I won't buy from them again. I can go to many other Android options.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Apple becomes the world’s largest smartphone producer and you think it’s “a little disappointing”? Please explain.

It just means they can continue being "lazy". I want them to be forced to truly bring out the best thing on the market and not intentionally delay certain things over different generations aka "we buy it anyway, so why bother doing much".

Just look at China, it is selling less and suddenly there is the first price deduction, things like that. I am talking as a customer here btw

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Google Pixel is dipping into Samsung's share. I develop on mobile and I'm seeing Apple users continue to grow as usual. But the Android market is so spread out ranging from entry level knock-off brands, to the high end. Pixel is getting more and more impressive and preferred over Samsung by many of our customers. Apple is still by far the king of users for my company, but Pixel for the first year outnumbers Samsung users of our app.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
[…] it is the first time Samsung has lost the top spot to another company in 13 years. In 2013, Nokia held the number one spot, Samsung was second, […]
Am I missing something here: It would be the first time in 13 years they lost the top spot, yet 11 years ago, Samsung only held second? 🤔

Edit: 2013 seems to be a typo, other sources say that 2010 was the last year Samsung hasn’t sold the most smartphones.

Last edited:

KOR1987

Cancelled
Jan 15, 2024
It just means they can continue being "lazy". I want them to be forced to truly bring out the best thing on the market and not intentionally delay certain things over different generations aka "we buy it anyway, so why bother doing much".

Just look at China, it is selling less and suddenly there is the first price deduction, things like that. I am talking as a customer here btw

I hope AAPL gets the pressure from MSFT or OpenAI.
Unbelievable what AAPL sells nowadays..
Nothing new..

Reactions: DEMinSoCAL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.