Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Sierra Sun reports (via 9 to 5 Mac) that Apple yesterday shot an advertisement for an unreleased product at Jax at the Tracks, a recently-opened 1940s-style diner in Truckee, California near Lake Tahoe.
Apple computers worked on an advertisement at Jax on the Tracks Tuesday afternoon, but because the product they were advertising hadn't been released, members of the group didn't release any information, or allow any photographs.
The brief story provides few other details, noting only that the restaurant was found by a location scout looking to portray a "hip and cool spot for the 20-something crowd".

Article Link: Apple Shoots Commercial for Unreleased Product?

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Hip, cool spot for the 20-something crowd = 1940s-style diner???

Golly, these cats sure are square! I mean, gee, you can't have a sock hop at a diner!!

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I'm going to guess this is for an updated iPod/iTunes, and not a new product.

Hmmm. A retro-themed diner. Jukebox perhaps? Something with the rumored social media sharing?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
iTunes + iProd(uct) + Social Networking + Multitouch Magic + Wireless Connectivity. Showing young people having fun, being social, sharing photos (think MS surface table but imposibly thin and light), music, browsing album covers full screen on iProd(uct).

I don't have the money for this! Well I do, but that's what my little wife would tell me.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
When was the last time Apple used a real location for an ad? Aren't all Apple product ads now done in the white studio thing setting?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
When was the last time Apple used a real location for an ad? Aren't all Apple product ads now done in the white studio thing setting?

When was the last time Apple actually released a rumored Tablet device? :D

gGGg

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009

The iPhone 3G/3GS ads were filmed in real locations, and the 3G one was partly filmed in an Apple Store (5th Avenue, NY) which closed for a few days.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Shooting a commercial for their new line of premium quality beef and chicken based meals no doubt. Why just buy a Macbook Pro, when you can get a Macbook Pro and a delicious Apple Hamburger basket?

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
Don't think too much into this...

I would imagine its a "real-life" ad of how to use the iPod touch/iPhone. Maybe a cool app that they wanted to show in a real setting. As great as the current ads are, none of them seem very REAL.

This is probably an ad for the new iPod touch with camera, showing off the fact of taking a picture of some "cool" place to eat and hang and then posting it to Twitter/Flickr/Facebook.

There is NO WAY that Apple would put the tablet or any unannounced new form factor out in the public light like that. Thing about the iPhone 3G/3Gs commerical, not a single actor in the commercial every saw the device really. They simply acted out scenes and then the device was by itself in a shot with no one in the room.

Only the camera man (possibly didn't need one) and the people who editted the shot/the director actually probably saw the thing or even knew what they were advertising.

Going with that, do you really think that Apple would put the tablet or unannounced product out in public that this? I don't think so.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I'm going to guess this is for an updated iPod/iTunes, and not a new product.

Hmmm. A retro-themed diner. Jukebox perhaps? Something with the rumored social media sharing?

Yeah, countering the Zune HD, they'll release the iPod LP; it will automatically add distortion and vinyl-like noise to all your music so it sounds like it's from an actual turntable album from 20 years ago! :D

iSlave

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Ahm a reckonin' it's the tablet, maaaaan. Nuthin screams '1940s!!!!' more than a tablet PC, big boy. In fack, here's the rootin' tootin' shootin' script raaaaght here -

INT - 1940s DINER - DAY
Two hip and cool cats are checking out nudie action on one of them peep show machines.

CAT 1
Hey, your moving the flick pages too fast! Every time ah gets excited, it's gone!!

CAT2
Bite my glute, you slow arousing momma's boy!

STEVE JOBS enters the diner, dressed in a snappy 'Al Capone' style outfit.

STEVE JOBS
Hey kids, get with the now...

He pulls from his pocket, the brand new APPLE TABLET!!!

STEVE JOBS
Ten inch screen, Wireless-N technology, and a super-insanely-great-64gb hard drive. All the nudie action the internet has to offer - and more!!

The two kids run over.

CAT1 & CAT2
WOOOOOOWWW!!

STEVE JOBS
Don't thank me, kids. Just hand over your $600.

A WAITRESS approaches with a plate of food.

WAITRESS
I got your liver ready, Mr Jobs. Just like you ordered.

The whole place erupts with laughter.

FADE TO BLACK.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area

I don't know when the last time Apple did this, but, there are certain things that just aren't realistic, practical or cost-effective in a studio.

Say you were creating an ad for a device for sports fans and needed teams playing and stadium shots with lots of fans. To sell this with only studio shots would be difficult.

For activities like social networking, or staying "in touch" from an off-site location, they would, likely, need some on-location shots.

Having been involved in a couple of these with "New Apple Products", I can tell you that hours of media captured at an all-day, on-location, shoot gets distilled down to a few seconds on-screen: as a small part of a 30 or 60-second ad.

History tells us that Apple cares very much about how its image and its products are portrayed. If, it isn't realistic, don't bother.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
I would imagine its a "real-life" ad of how to use the iPod touch/iPhone. Maybe a cool app that they wanted to show in a real setting. As great as the current ads are, none of them seem very REAL.

This is probably an ad for the new iPod touch with camera, showing off the fact of taking a picture of some "cool" place to eat and hang and then posting it to Twitter/Flickr/Facebook.

There is NO WAY that Apple would put the tablet or any unannounced new form factor out in the public light like that. Thing about the iPhone 3G/3Gs commerical, not a single actor in the commercial every saw the device really. They simply acted out scenes and then the device was by itself in a shot with no one in the room.

Only the camera man (possibly didn't need one) and the people who editted the shot/the director actually probably saw the thing or even knew what they were advertising.

Going with that, do you really think that Apple would put the tablet or unannounced product out in public that this? I don't think so.

They did it in November 1983, with the original Mac. An all-day shoot was done in our Computer store showing a couple buying an Original Mac.

The shoot was during normal business hours, so the glass windows and doors were papered-over so no one could see in. The doors were locked, so Customers were met outside, by our employees, for any necessary business transactions: (sales, questions, repairs, etc.). Response from the "locked-out" customers was very positive (vicarious excitement to be aware that an exciting new product was coming?).

Store employees were used as background extras (sales people, customers, clerks). Scenes showed:
-- a young couple entering the store
-- couple given a demo of the Mac
-- couple purchasing Mac at front counter
-- salesman putting Mac into Mac Bag
-- couple leaving store with Mac Bag

These were shot over and over from several angles, with different lighting, background, etc.

AIR, there were 2 Mac computers present, 3 paid actors, about 10 people in the film crew and one "creative" fron Chiat Day.

The product of the shoot was several 5-10 second shots in some 30-60 second ads.

The environment was pretty controlled, but all employees present (about 15) got to see the Mac. I got to play with MacDraw for about 15 minutes.

So, YES WAY Apple has put a new, revolutionary product in a controlled public environment.

Apple has done it before with a Steve Jobs product!

The only downside, was that the ad was shot almost 2 months before the Mac was announced... Hopefully the computers and software available today can reduce the time to a few days or weeks!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's obvious that Apple is going into the food business. I'm ready to try Apple-branded apple pie, apple turnovers, and apple cider.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This location shoot could have been a 5 second blip in a 20-30 second commercial. I would say probably for the new iPods.

And I'm guessing Apple is going the route of MS. Just to counter their method.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
i'm a 20 something year old and haven't been to a diner in years mainly because i dont like too much grease and fat. but if it will benefit my social life, maybe i need to bite a few bullets and take the plunge.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
IThere is NO WAY that Apple would put the tablet or any unannounced new form factor out in the public light like that. Thing about the iPhone 3G/3Gs commerical, not a single actor in the commercial every saw the device really. They simply acted out scenes and then the device was by itself in a shot with no one in the room.

LOL.. you've apparently not heard of an NDA (non-disclosure agreement)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.